Not logging enough calories

Options
Hi everyone, was after some advice, myfitnesspal has recommended that I intake 1200 kcal a day as I have an office job and don't get much exercise however yesterday (my first day) I only had about 980 kcal and it wouldn't log it, I don't always eat that much and only hit the target today because I had quote a fatty dinner, is there a way around this or can I reduce my suggested daily kcal intake at all? Thanks

Replies

• siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There is no way around this.
    The good thing is, it doesn't matter. Even if MFP harps about not enough calories (curiously, they don't do this is you were to log 20k calories...) it's still everywhere that matters, in your reports.

Try not to go too low, as it is quite difficult to get enough nutrition on very low calorie diets. Eat enough protein especially, your muscles need it.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

Check out this list for some simple things to add to your diet to hit your goal.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The "complete diary" aspect is a guide for estimates but by no means needs to be done. Instead just brush your teeth. You'll get that feeling of "I'm done for the day" and less cavities! Go with your hunger but don't consistently go too low otherwise when you are hungry your body will be more efficient with those calories.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Pixie- Your ticker says you have 66 pounds to lose. This didn't happen from not being able to eat 1200 calories. 1200 is about as low as you should go, for health reasons. It's okay to eat a little more. The weight will likely still come off if you're hitting 1200. I would also suggest a food scale. Most people do a pretty poor job of measuring with cups or eyeballing portions. A food scale was a real eye opener for me, and I found I was eating more than I was estimating. Good luck!
  • kasleighx3
    kasleighx3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have this problem at least twice a week. Due to a physical disability I have, I actually only have half the muscle mass of a typical person. So my doctors always told me I don't actually need the typical number of calories as the average person. Kind of a pain since all these "measurements," such as calories per day or how many calories I burn during a workout, inaccurate. I just never bother to "complete" my entry if I dont hit 1000 (thats when MFP will actually let you complete your diary) all your data and nutrient data will still be there.
  • PixieDust1989
    PixieDust1989 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Kasleigh I have medical conditions that means my body absorbs more fat than it should and I don't have a gall bladder which means my body struggles to filter the fat I do eat so I have to eat less calories than "normal" people to lose the same amount of weight. Have figured out how to change my daily calorie intake though and have reduced it to 1000
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    You have to hit the complete diary button???
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I rarely hit my complete diary button.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I never know my day is over until it's too late and I'm asleep