Counting calories vs packaged food

Options
Hi all! I am on day 16 of my journey and trying to lose 15 pounds that I have wanted to lose for 4 years. I was real happy with how things were going as I noticed a change in my body and mind. However, I want your thoughts.

Is there anyone out there counting calories, and eating things like Smart Ones Breakfast sandwiches, Lean Cuisines and Weight Watcher lunches, 100 calorie snacks, high sodium foods and STILL LOSING weight? Seems my diet I am counting calories, staying under mostly of my daily goal, but I admit I do not have a lot of the fresh fruits and veggies. I eat an apple every few days, but nothing religious. Is more greens, veggies, and fruit a MUST to lose weight? If I stick to calorie counting but avg 2400 mg of sodium each day, will I get to my goal ever? Yes I could use more exercise, yes I need to cut back on alcohol and I will try, but more wondering if processed foods are just as harmful as if I was not counting calories?? Do I have to mix some proccessed with some fresh snacks?

I work in an office and just heat my lunch up everyday, and was proud I do not eat out, but again.. it is boxed food.

Just asking for honesty because I am ready to change but thought I was doing Ok. Help!! I want to reach my goals.

Thanks friends :)

Replies

• Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Excess sodium can cause your body to retain water, so it's never a good thing. I used to eat those meals, and still do every now and then, but I recommend looking for the 100% natural ones that don't have a bunch of junk in them. That's the best way to go. Fruits and veggies are vital to weight loss, in my opinion. Are you working out? Good luck on your journey!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am on day 16 of my journey and trying to lose 15 pounds that I have wanted to lose for 4 years. I was real happy with how things were going as I noticed a change in my body and mind. However, I want your thoughts.

Is there anyone out there counting calories, and eating things like Smart Ones Breakfast sandwiches, Lean Cuisines and Weight Watcher lunches, 100 calorie snacks, high sodium foods and STILL LOSING weight? Seems my diet I am counting calories, staying under mostly of my daily goal, but I admit I do not have a lot of the fresh fruits and veggies. I eat an apple every few days, but nothing religious. Is more greens, veggies, and fruit a MUST to lose weight? If I stick to calorie counting but avg 2400 mg of sodium each day, will I get to my goal ever? Yes I could use more exercise, yes I need to cut back on alcohol and I will try, but more wondering if processed foods are just as harmful as if I was not counting calories?? Do I have to mix some proccessed with some fresh snacks?

I work in an office and just heat my lunch up everyday, and was proud I do not eat out, but again.. it is boxed food.

Just asking for honesty because I am ready to change but thought I was doing Ok. Help!! I want to reach my goals.

Thanks friends :)

Do you want to lose weight or lose weight and be healthy? Healthy foods are not a must to lose weight, but they are a BIG MUST for being healthy. You should be getting 5-7 fruit and veggies/day most of which should be from the veggie side. Processed foods are the devil, and most of them should be outlawed.

There is the simple equation to losing weight. Eat less, mostly greens, and move more.
  • gavin03
    gavin03 Posts: 39
    Options
    Hello,
    I eat all of those things because for me it is all about convience. I have added more veges and fruit to my diet. i eat the 100 calorie packs and lean cuisine. Like you said with the salt in there you might want to limit those per week. Maybe make a sandwich. Take a look at my diary and see maybe there might be things on there that you can substitute. Good luck. Let me know if it is not open to the public and I will add you as a friend.
  • cscox708
    cscox708 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I think some people can lose weight on a diet of those processed low-cal/low-fat items, but I don't think it's the healthiest thing to do. And you're right-usually they are high in sodium. A few years ago I switched to eating more fresh fruits and veggies and I believe it is so much better for me. In fact, now is the best time of the year to do this because you can find fresh produce at farmer's markets and such. Healthy and much more satisfying then some boxed meal for sure. True, it takes more time and planning to eat this way, but it's worth it. The older I get, I also realize it's the best thing I can do for my body.

Good luck!
    Carol
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Processed food is exactly that...processed. There is nothing good about it at all. Stick to Veggies, fruits, lean protein and good carbs for a balanced diet.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I use those types of foods on a regular occasional basis, if that makes any sense (so a few times a week when I need something quick). You can lose weight on them, but like others have said, they are high in sodium. You also need to get fruits and veggies in to get the nutrients your body needs, because a lot of those are lost when foods are processed (and some of those meals don't have a lot of veggies to begin with - try to look for those that do - Healthy Choice has some decent options). Try to get some extra veggies and fruits in every day - it's just as easy to grab an apple for a snack as it is to grab a 100 cal snack pack, and these days you can find snack-size precut fruit and veggie packages that you can grab on the go.
  • Samblount
    Samblount Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As another has said, Sodium is a big issue along with the calories. You can be eating the correct amount of calories, but if you have a large amount of sodium then it is going to make it harder to actually lose weight. Fruits/veggies are also important, but like yourself I don't eat the alot or religiously. Do you take any vitamins? Taking a multi-B vitamin will help with energy levels and helping your body work. Also, how many times per day do you eat? You might try making your meals smaller (eating 1 serving or less) through breakfast and lunch, then having a small snack at least twice a day, which could be how you incorporate the fruits. I also eat 1 light yogurt a day, which also seems to help with staying under my goal and getting the fruits in. I hope this helps, feel free to message me if you want!
  • Marcus19
    Marcus19 Posts: 24
    Options
    I deal with the same issue for the most part, because fact is it's easy and very convenient, especially having a desk job. But easy and convenient isn't what gets you to lose weight. I just try to think of it that way. Anything that has worth takes hard work and sacrifice. I love to eat junk food unfortunately, and junk food is convenient easy and CHEAP..but eating junk food won't help me lose weight. Neither will eating lots of processed food
  • texakin20
    texakin20 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Lots of good points!! Ok.. instead of stocking my desk drawer with snack packs, I will get berries and broccoli and such. Time to make a change. I guess I was proud of my focus and mind set on losing weight, but it did hit me last night.. I do not think I am doing this right!

Yes I want to be healthy, I am just not a normal veggie eater. (And that is why I have 15 pounds to lose probably). I have been watching my vitamin levels in my dairy and that I why I created this topic. BUT I just do not want "hate" this plan by eating stuff I do not like. Just was curious what others are doing
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I do both... I try to find buy organic frozed dinners with fewer additives. But they are always packed with sodium. As long as you keep your overall numbers in check I believe you can still be healthy regardless of which path you take. Of course this is in my opinion and based off of what has worked for me. Mixing my fresh foods and convienient pre-packaged meals/foods has worked well for me. I still lost weight, I feel good, and my bloodwork and phyiscals always come out excellent. It's just a matter of balancing your totals by the end of the day. Diet and excercise isn't an exact science, but staying conscious on how much of the type of foods you eat is important.

Edit: Spelling errors...I'm sure I still missed some
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Will you lose weight? Yes. Will you be eating a healthy diet? No.
  • perne11
    perne11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do both... I try to find buy organic frozed dinners with fewer additives. But they are always packed with sodium. As long as you keep your overall numbers in check I believe you can still be healthy regardless of which path you take. Of course this is in my opinion and based off of what has worked for me. Mixing my fresh foods and convienient pre-packaged meals/foods has worked well for me. I still lost weight, I feel good, and my bloodwork and phyiscals always come out excellent. It's just a matter of balancing your totals by the end of the day. Diet and excercise isn't an exact science, but staying conscious on how much of the type of foods you eat is important.

Edit: Spelling errors...I'm sure I still missed some

This is pretty much what I do! I do eat packaged/process foods, but I also eat nutritious whole foods. I started my weight loss journey Feb 1 and so far I have lost 25lbs. I also think it's possible to be healthy and still consume process foods.
  • takelly0330
    Options
    Hi, Unfortunately, you need to try and step away from the prepackaged and frozen foods. The sodium is huge. My doctor told me to try and have fresh foods as possible. Make your own frozen dinners. I'm a very lazy cook and found the best thing for me was to make my lunches for the week. I've been grilling a weeks worth of chicken or buying rotisserie chicken/turkey (which probably isn't the best), but cutting up the meat to make wraps (low carb). I think it's helping.

Yes, you have to kick up the exercise too. But you are young and I'm sure you can find lot's of fun ways to exercise.

Good luck!!! I know you can do it.

Theresa
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I am a sucker for the easy meals such as the prepackaged frozen foods. I am going to try and get better at this and when grocery shopping this weekend, do my best to not buy any. I also have to set my mind that veggies are good for me and I need to eat them whether I like them or not.
  • texakin20
    texakin20 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin D and B12.
    I do need to have more mini meals with healthy foods. Will add that to my diet!! Good advice here. I will try and only eat the boxed stuff at work, and add a yogurt or fruit for breakfast. If I can cut packaged food to just lunch.. that will be a great start for me!!
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds on Nutrisystem in 2009 ....... what happened when I got totally burnt out on eating from a box? I gained the weight back!
    Although my loss has been very slow as of lately, I am finding that eating the right amount of the right foods makes me feel so much better then eating processed foods from a box.
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who buys organic box dinners. They provide a bit of a healthier form of heat and eat.

Though not all processed foods are wretched distortions. Dave's killer breads are very healthy, toast and pair with a low fat hummus, add some carrot sticks and you have a nutritious, low calories, easy lunch.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lots of good points!! Ok.. instead of stocking my desk drawer with snack packs, I will get berries and broccoli and such. Time to make a change. I guess I was proud of my focus and mind set on losing weight, but it did hit me last night.. I do not think I am doing this right!

Yes I want to be healthy, I am just not a normal veggie eater. (And that is why I have 15 pounds to lose probably). I have been watching my vitamin levels in my dairy and that I why I created this topic. BUT I just do not want "hate" this plan by eating stuff I do not like. Just was curious what others are doing

You SHOULD be proud of your initial focus & mindset. Remember - baby steps. You don't have to eat perfectly from day 1. You have good goals - more fruits & veggies. Eat a little better each week - and you will get there - without resorting to foods you hate.

Try adding a serving of veggies to your frozen meal, or serve with a small side salad. Bring carrots, celery sticks, or pepper strips to work with you for a snack (serve with hummus or light dressing). Applesauce cups (no sugar added) are great to keep in your desk.
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This obviously isn't the best way to do it, but I lost 45lbs eating processed 'diet' meals & snacks, lol. Now that I'm maintaining I barely ever eat them though, and it has made a difference to how my body looks & feels. But when I was actually losing weight, I was more concerned with losing weight and not being healthy so I just ate anything that claimed to be low in calories. Now I eat fruit, vegetables and clean food and it's surprising how much more you can eat in comparison to the processed foods I used to eat. I have them occasionally now, maybe once a week or less, when the rest of my family are eating something I don't want, but otherwise I eat healthily.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I always have a few pre-packaged things for those nights where convenience is needed (but I do love to cook). So I always have an organic frozen lasagna (300 cals) and a can of chili (500 cals) in my pantry/freezer. I eat them once or MAYBE twice a week for dinner. Rather than worrying about sodium, I worry about potassium (the great equalizer of sodium)... and I've always had TONS of water. (potassium rich foods: sweet potato, carrots, green leaves of many kinds, bananas, etc)

Here's what I have today thats fairly representative of my daily work: 200 cal oatmeal for breakfast, 300 cal sandwich for lunch, 1 cup of watermelon for a snack, and approx 3/4 cup of carrots for a snack.

As for eating veggies... sneak them into your meals at dinner. You'd be shocked at what you can blend/process and what little you notice of it. Almost daily, I either finely chop or process carrots, celery, zuchini, red bell pepper, onions, garlic, spinach, etc into my dinners. In fact, adding these things into a sauce of some type will add alot of substance and flavor. Hope that helps!