Adderall??? (sp)

Options
Good Morning!!

I have a question for you all. Is anyone out there on Adderall prescribed from their doctor?? I am, it's all
in accordance to my treatment for my PCOS issues, etc. Anyhow, everyone says it helps you lose weight,
but I don't think it's done that for me. I still diet and exercise every single day, regardless of the medication.
Does anyone else have any experience with this stuff?? I hear celebs take it to lose weight quickly, but
I don't see how....... ???

Thanks and have a good day!!! :smile:

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Adderall commonly suppresses peoples' appetite and is a stimulant as well. Most people just say they don't feel the same desire to eat on it as normal and so they lose weight.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Adipex by my doctor a few months back and lost some weight with it. When I talked to my aunt about it, she told me that Aderol (sp?) was so much better for weight loss. She's been taking it for months now and has lost a whopping ZERO lbs.

Not sure if this is relevant but figured I would share! LOL!
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    My son took it a few years back and he did loose a ton of weight. Maybe you need a higher dose..
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My husband took it for awhile. It made him feel icky so he didn't want to eat but he didn't lose any weight either.
  • aliciadpo
    aliciadpo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've taken it for school to help with studying. At that time (about 3 yrs ago) I had started counting calories and wanted to lose weight so I was doing both diet, exercise, and medication and the weight melted off so easily. I looked great, I lost 15lbs from it. But, at the same time, it is an addictive medication so I eventually got off because I don't want to be reliant on medication for anything, especially weight loss. I thought about renewing my Rx but nope....I'm going to lose weight on my own! Plus, while taking it I would grind my teeth really hard to the point of almost breaking a tooth, which then lead to migraines - not worth it!!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed it throughout school and the only time I noticed a change in appetite was if i took a break from using it (over the summer) and then started up again. Other than that I had a pretty normal appetite and didn't really lose weight, but I did maintain a decent weight and didn't gain. Just continue to eat healthy and exercise!!
  • Live4HerSmile
    Options
    I know a girl who takes it to lose weight. And she doesn't have any weight to lose. You see pics from her wedding, then see pics from 5 months later and she looks sickly. Like a total skeletor.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Be careful...it is NOT designed for weight loss and is addictive and technically considered a narcotic. While it is used outside of its prescribed purposes it is highly inadvisable.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    It is an amphetamine so generally it will help lose weight due to a decreased appetite. But if you don't eat anything due to non hunger your body will hoard.
  • mholl723
    mholl723 Posts: 3
    Options
    My son has taken Adderall and other similar medicines for his ADHD. We have noticed that the main side effect with all of these has been that he has absolutely no appetite while on the meds. However, the moment it wears off, he wants to eat everything in the house!! These meds are not made for weight loss and while in theory I guess it could work, once it wears off you will just be really hungry and that somewhat defeats the whole purpose, doesn't it?
  • Keisha604
    Keisha604 Posts: 126
    Options
    I'm not taking Adderall, but my doctor put me on Vyvanse. It's been a life saver for me. It does decrease my appetite and at first I didn't eat at all(except for breakfast and a very very light dinner)..but then I realized that as night time rolled around and the medicine was wearing off I'd get really irritable and hungry. It was bad. So I've been making myself eat a lot of small things throughout the day. I have a nice breakfast(about 300cal), a snack, a small lunch(usually a salad of some sort), another snack, and then a normal size dinner(about 400cal).

Of course, I'm new to all of this. I was only recently diagnosed with ADD. So, I'm trying to figure it out as I go.
  • Keisha604
    Keisha604 Posts: 126
    Options
    Also, I'm not sure how Adderall works, but I know sometimes while on Vyvanse I'd feel physically sick from eating so I just make myself a protein shake. That helps a lot if you can't keep food down...and it also helps with the appetite loss because it seems more like a drink than an actual meal.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My brother was on Adderall for a while, due to his ADHD. He had no appetite and so remained very small for years. Be forewarned, though, once he went off it he gained tons of weight because he suddenly had an appetite and always thought he was starving. Now he's working to get it back off.
  • jessmew
    jessmew Posts: 8
    Options
    it tends to make you not hungry. But then when it wears off you're REALLY hungry. I was prescribed it for years and never really lost any weight. Not to mention Adderall is AWFUL for you and has been compared to meth. haha.
  • sanaeha
    sanaeha Posts: 1
    Options
    Im on adderall and I grind my teeth too