Not sure

Options
Ok, I'm trying to eat better, but it seems that my sodium and sugar in take is still crazy high. UGH! I'm not eating any "junk" what do I do

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    The question of whether anything needs to be done or not aside...

Are you currently logging your foods? If so, look through your daily logs and identify which food choices are contributing to the high levels and see if you can replace them with something less sodium/sugar intense.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    fruit and lean meats are 2 commonly eaten "clean" foods that can cause sugar and sodium to go above MFP defaults.

breads, anything with soy sauce, any sauce for that matter, and packaged foods also typically contribute a lot of sodium.
  • Ginnygirl5
    Ginnygirl5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you,I didn't know that about leans meats and fruit. I don't eat packaged food. Very lucky to have a farmers market in my area!
    I start logging my food. That's how I found out, I wasn't eating right, even if it was local foods
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I agree with ceoverturf. Go thru your logs and see where your problem areas are. I have even printed out my food logs and highlighted them. I have cut my morning whole banana to 1/2 a banana and only have one other fruit during the day. I don't pay attention to my sodium but that is because I really have no medical issues with it at this time.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    the default sugar is a bit low i reckon, but most processed foods have too much. if you are eating fresh food and cooking from scratch, don't worry about sugar
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    If your sugar is high, YES you are eating junk. ;)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »

Or a lot of fruit.

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Or a lot of fruit.

Back when I tracked sugar, I think a piece of fruit, half a serving of grapes and a serving of Greek yogurt would put me over.

I don't have a medical reason to track sugar or sodium, so I switched those to fiber and iron, both things I wanted to track.

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Or a lot of fruit.

Or a lot of veggies with sugar. Or milk...(at least cow's is natural here).

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If the sugar is high because you're eating fruit, don't sweat it. When experts talk about limiting it, they mean added sugars, not sugar from fruit.

Sodium - if you want to keep it in the recommended range, you're going to have to start making more of your own food. I didn't really get it under control until I quit trying to do it with things like store-bought cottage cheese. Now, I make my own stuff and I do just fine.

Good luck!
  • Ginnygirl5
    Ginnygirl5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes I do eat a lot of furit and I love yogurt! There's a lady in town that makes it! It's soooooooooo yummy! Lol, I'm thinking that could be it! Sodium is in everything I'm finding. Thank you everyone.
  • CaseyGwaltney
    CaseyGwaltney Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Kalkel, I've been told that about sugar before. Frozen grapes are my fave thing ever. I know there is a lot of sugar.... but was told one time that it was 'good sugar' and all the fiber makes it a good snack.....

Should I go with this theory??