Drastic changes, yet no change - confused

Options
Hi everyone

I'm not new to the site, but have only really been taking it seriously the past two weeks, whereas I used to just dip in and out.

I wondered if anyone else has the same problem as me or can help??

I've always been slender and have maintained the same weight for 6 years or more, but recently I've been trying to seriously tone up, although my weight was relativley the same it was fat rather than muscle. So I started a fitness regieme that's more intense than anything I've ever done, its 4-6 days a week, doing 60 - 90 min workouts that include both intense cardio and weight training.

I know I am slightly fitter as 2 weeks in and I'm much more capable of doing the regimes. However I cannot see any physical change whatsoever! I think I may have lost 1Ib but my stomach looks the same. How can this be?

My diet is pretty good, at weekends I'm a bit more relaxed but still never break the 2000 calorie mark, and am almost always still under my daily goal.

I don't want to be in the position where I'm feeling guilty for having the very occasional chocolate bar (life is too short!!), but want to know what else I can do to see results. I used to just spring back into shape and this time it just doesnt seem to be working.

Kara xx

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    It can take a long time for exercise to build.
    Im doing P90x and as difficult and as intense as it can be, you are still meant to give it ATLEAST 60 days before you should start expecting a change...
    Id just keep at it, and if you havent seen a change in about 60 - 70 days..
    then id change what you are doing...
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Try taking your measurements, sometimes I see a spike in my weight but I lose inches
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough. With only 2 lbs to lose you need to eat closer to your maintenance calories or your body will not have enough fuel to do your workouts and will breakdown muscle instead of fat to use as fuel as your fat stores are not large and are hard for the body to break down.

I would suggest changing your weekly goal to lose 0.5lbs/week, and to eat back your exercise calories. A smaller deficit will be a slower loss but you will lose a higher % of fat than if your deficit is larger. Hope this helps.
  • DeKreyzisfitness
    Options
    I would keep up the workouts! They are helping I'm sure. Muscle forms underneath fat so you are probably helping yourself much more than you think when you look in the mirror. Our eyes and minds can play tricks on us. Maybe try taking a picture of yourself now and then again in a month from now. It will probably be a much more noticeable difference. :) Keep it up!
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Only 2 weeks? Changes don't come overnight. Persistence is key. Results will come.
  • kraszco1
    kraszco1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Helice is absolutely correct. Give it some time. When an obese person makes changes it shows really fast, but since you are already slender, you dont have as much change to make, it is going to take many weeks to see the results. But when you do, you will see amazing change! Keep at it!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the intense cardio. Focus on strength training in the appropriate amount with proper time to recover between workouts. Manage calories via your diet and not cardio. A brisk walk for an hour or intense cardio for an hour burns about the same amount of fat(the lower heart rate walk burns a little more). Only difference is calories.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Something I took from a Dr. Oz Show (I know, I know... but it might help...) I have no clue how old you are, and I can't get to your home page to check, without losing where I am. So PLEASE excuse me if you are a teen, or in your 20's... but other's who are my age, might find this helpful anyway:

First off... weight bearing exercise is going to be more important as we age. Cardio is important, but strength training can't be overlooked.

In your 40s, you lose up to 10% of your muscle mass, which means you’re burning about 100 fewer calories a day than you did at age 30. In other words, less muscle mass equals more fat, and that equals more calorie storage. What’s more, after age 40, women lose muscle mass, which is tied to a drop in testosterone levels, twice as fast as men. But here’s the good news: you can eat certain foods to help naturally increase muscle.

Roman Beans
    To increase muscle mass, eat more protein, the building blocks of muscle. Roman beans are an excellent source, containing more protein than most other legumes. Eat 2-3 cups of these cooked beans each week.

Salmon
    Foods rich in vitamin D are essential for preserving muscle tissue. A 3.5-ounce serving of salmon contains almost 90% of the recommended daily allowance for vitamin D (600 IU). Eat two 3.5 servings each week.

Broccoli Rabe
    Broccoli rabe, a member of the cabbage family, is rich in iron, which carries oxygen to muscles, giving them energy. Sauté this dark green vegetable and then add lemon juice; the acid content helps speed iron absorption. Eat 1-2 cups of broccoli rabe each week.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Oops, Sorry... just got to your home page and realized you are in your early 20's... you could be my daughter you are so young. Sorry. Anyway, hope that the info helps someone who checks out your post.
  • KaraStara
    KaraStara Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your responses. It's really helpful that a lot of you are saying the same things... and I know I'm being a little impatient after only 2 weeks!

I think when I get something in my head I want to see changes straight away and get really impatient waiting. I did take a before photo when I started all of this, so in another 2 weeks I will take another photo to see where I'm at.

It also doesnt help that my other half is super fit and seems to be able to eat what he likes and be totally ripped (plus he's 10 years older than me - how is that fair!!) ha!

I think I worry too much about eating the right thing, all I hear is people saying you can't eat carbs, or you shouldnt have any sugar, or don't have caffine. But I find that cutting any of these out completely makes me crave them more than I would normally and I've never had a problem with food so feel that suddenly deciding to change my diet will create a problem with food and make me feel guilty about eating things that are in actual fact just normal foods.

I think what we all find so difficult is finding and maintaining a healthy balance of exercise and diet when there are so many influences out there in our lives and untimately all we really want to do is feel good about ourselves and enjoy life to the maximum.

Sorry, when all philosophical then! Thanks for your help guys, will keep you updated :-)

xx

p.s. my gym have just started Insanity and I'm going to the trial session on Tuesday... scared! haha! google it if you've not seen the adverts, it looks literally insane!
  • KaraStara
    KaraStara Posts: 5
    Options
    It can take a long time for exercise to build.
    Im doing P90x and as difficult and as intense as it can be, you are still meant to give it ATLEAST 60 days before you should start expecting a change...
    Id just keep at it, and if you havent seen a change in about 60 - 70 days..
    then id change what you are doing...

Hi Helice

What is the P90x? Heard a few people mention it but not a clue what it is?

Kara
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Only 2 weeks? Changes don't come overnight. Persistence is key. Results will come.

Yep. And if you are trying to build lean muscle it takes time. It doesn't just pop up after a few days of training as people would like to think. Check out "The New Rule of Lifting for Women" on Amazon for about $9 used. It has a lot of good info in it about our bodies, nutrition and a weight lifting regimen.