Intermittent Fasting

Options
I just listened to a podcast (from the Nutrition Diva) about intermittent fasting and I'm thinking about trying it. Does anyone else do this and how do you feel about it? How does it work for you and how long and how often do you do it?

Replies

• irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    i have never even heard of it...interested...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I do the Eat Stop Eat approach, as do some others here. Others do the Leangains.com approach. There are quite a few intermittent fasters here.
  • purpl3sox
    purpl3sox Posts: 38
    Options
    I think it is something that should probably be avoided. Fasting every once in a while to save calories for a big event such as a birthday or christmas is one thing, but fasting on a regular basis could get dangerous if not done with supervision and strict guidelines. I would suggest caloric staggering instead. It has a similar idea, but none of the risks of fasting.
  • nefarious
    nefarious Posts: 4
    Options
    fasting is very good for you mentally, physically and spiritually. I have fasted before many times and it feels great when I am done. I do my fasts with water though. there are many different ways to fast, sometimes with juice only, sometimes with say like oranges only. there is a book about fasting and the benefits called fasting By JENTEZEN FRANKLIN. Its a great book! good luck on your journey and be safe!! take care love and light, nicole
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I think it is something that should probably be avoided. Fasting every once in a while to save calories for a big event such as a birthday or christmas is one thing, but fasting on a regular basis could get dangerous if not done with supervision and strict guidelines. I would suggest caloric staggering instead. It has a similar idea, but none of the risks of fasting.

So writes someone who either does not know what intermittent fasting is, or know nothing of the health benefits of fasting. There is nothing dangerous about intermittent fasting, in fact everyone does it to some extent every night, hence, BREAKfast.
  • rileysowner
    Options
  • Amanda993
    Amanda993 Posts: 51
    Options

Thanks so much for the information! I had no idea that this was such a big thing.. and wow controversial too! lol
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    IF is awesome!!

I use it for hunger control and the ability to eat a HUGE dinner.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I do the leangains version 16hour fast with an 8 hour eating window but I consume the majority of my calories from 3-6pm. I love it!
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I do the leangains version 16hour fast with an 8 hour eating window but I consume the majority of my calories from 3-6pm. I love it!

Nothing better than consuming 2k calories in one sitting. LOL.
  • 4theking
    Options

Nothing better than consuming 2k calories in one sitting. LOL.

Exactly! I even fit some ice cream in there.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

GASP. You mean REFINED SUGARS?! Do you not know the effect on insulin?! They shove all of the fat right into your cells, trapping them forever. Good luck getting obese.

Kidding. I fit B&J's in on a regular basis. People on here get really confused when they look at my diary....
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    People fast for a number of reasons. Not necessarily to lose weight. Some for religious reasons, others to cleanse. My naturopath says that fasting activate longevity genes. And you rest other parts of your body, why not your digestive tract. It has only been with in the last few centuries that people have consistently had enough food to eat. And you see how that's worked out for folks....
  • 4theking
    Options

GASP. You mean REFINED SUGARS?! Do you not know the effect on insulin?! They shove all of the fat right into your cells, trapping them forever. Good luck getting obese.

Kidding. I fit B&J's in on a regular basis. People on here get really confused when they look at my diary....

Mine too! LOL
  • Amanda993
    Amanda993 Posts: 51
    Options
    People fast for a number of reasons. Not necessarily to lose weight. Some for religious reasons, others to cleanse. My naturopath says that fasting activate longevity genes. And you rest other parts of your body, why not your digestive tract. It has only been with in the last few centuries that people have consistently had enough food to eat. And you see how that's worked out for folks....

The podcast I listened to suggested there is reason to believe that fasting promotes cells to age more slowly, thus slowing the aging process... I don't know the science behind that but I thought that was incredibly interesting.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I am in my 3rd week of 16/8. 16 hours fast and 8 hours feeding window
    I love it. It makes sense. It makes me happy and I think it is 100% working

DO it
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    purpl3sox- In 4 weeks of reading. 1 to research and 3 weeks experiencing I have not read 1 thing that you mnetioned nor have I experienced. I take the lean gains approach which is 16/8. I couldn't be any more honest then saying you are 10000% wrong. Fasting (which is skippiung breakfast by the way) is a great method to teach yourself discipline and acutally letting your body work for what you give it.

Again I have read alot and there is little good things out there that see eating all day long is good.

Do some searches. FAsting is great. Again I don't consider skipping breakfast and fasting for 16 hours that great a feat.

PS
    I deadlifted 365 for 4 yesterday, The most in a decade. FULLY FASTED!
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Fasting using 16-20 hour fasts on a regular basis is by no means harmful.