How much exercise is enough?

Options
I just finished a brisk 20 minute walk with the dog and I am going to do a 26 upper body workout with the Biggest Loser Wii and I feel like that is not enough. Tonight I am going to try and do 30 minutes on the treadmill. I feel like I should be moving all the time and I feel guilty when I am not exercising. I think those 3 activities are enough but part of my feels guilty for not doing more. How much exercise do you guys do everyday?

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I try to do at least 90 minutes on most days split between cardio and strength.
  • Nessiep
    Nessiep Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    hi i do 3 70mins work outs a week so what your doing sounds good enough!:smile:
  • Nessiep
    Nessiep Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    hi i do 3 70mins work outs a week so what your doing sounds good enough!:smile:
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I think it is way more than enough. I do 30 mins walking 5x a week and I think that is really enough.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think it depends for different people. I am bigger so usually 30-60 minutes (60 on a good day!) feels enough for me. Last night I felt guilty because I was only at the gym for 40 minutes but spent a lot of time just walking around trying to figure out what to do next!!! It's recommended that we get 30 minutes of exercise per day, but I would go with 30 just to "be safe." Plus I usually don't count weights as "time," they are more of a "filler" activity that I do between cardio. You don't have to kill yourself every workout, but sweat lets you know that you're doing a good job :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    What kind of results are you lookig for? You dont NEED to workout at all you lose weight, you just need to limit your calories. I cant do that though because i love food. A tip for less of a workout and more results or the same is strength training. Do it every other day and do some cardio everyday or at least 5 days a week.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Only you know what is right for your body. If you feel like you are getting great results with what you are doing, then it's enough. If you hit a plateau or you stop seeing results, increase your activity.
  • JenSol
    JenSol Posts: 13
    Options
    I do 45 mins. to 90 mins. depeding on the day wether I'm home or at the gym and if it is a strength training day or not. So, I vary greatly. Today I did 45 on the treadmill but I am going to play Volleyball tonight with friends for 60 - 90 mins. I feel good with that.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I do a minimum of 90 minutes of very vigorous cardio daily. That includes the eliptical machine, level 15 for 30 minutes, treadmill eithe walking level 10 at 3.5 MPH for 30 minutes or running at 5.0 or 5.5 for 30 minutes and the spin bike at 23.5 MPH for 60-120 minutes. I keep doing more and more as I lose the weight.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that it involves a delicate balance of aims (are you exercising 'just' to lose weight, or for general long-term health and fitness?), motivation, available time (are there many other things in your life demanding your attention?) and how it makes you feel. In my case, I work in a busy full-time job, but genuinely enjoy exercise and the benefits I get from it, so I choose to exercise rather than, say, watch television. In fact, though, I often manage to do both - exercise bike while watching TV is great! Overall, I manage 30 - 60 minutes of CV a day, or 30 mins CV + 20/30 mins weights.
  • darlat74
    darlat74 Posts: 23
    Options
    I weigh 283 lbs and I am doing it to lose weight but it is also something I want to keep doing after I lose because I really do feel good after exercise.:smile: I am eating roughly 1400 calories a day and feeling very satisfied and the past two weeks I have lost 4.6 lbs and 4 lbs so I am happy with the results. Thanks for all the advice and I'm working through pain in my knees and it is getting better so I think I will just keep listening to my body because it seems to tell me when I've done enough.
  • HASS78
    HASS78 Posts: 1
    Options
    1.90 Minutes work out
    2.6 days of the week
    3.control your diet

i worked on these three steps and lost 20 lb in (10 weeks)
  • TriciaUlven
    TriciaUlven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving. Don't feel guilty or beat yourself up. You didn't gain all your weight over night & you won't lose it over night. I've had to learn too that this is a life style I will be living the rest of my life & not just a diet I'll do until I get to my goal weight. Sweat is a great indicator that your pushing yourself.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I do a minimum of 90 minutes of very vigorous cardio daily. That includes the eliptical machine, level 15 for 30 minutes, treadmill eithe walking level 10 at 3.5 MPH for 30 minutes or running at 5.0 or 5.5 for 30 minutes and the spin bike at 23.5 MPH for 60-120 minutes. I keep doing more and more as I lose the weight.

:sad: Oh My!!!!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I just finished a brisk 20 minute walk with the dog and I am going to do a 26 upper body workout with the Biggest Loser Wii and I feel like that is not enough. Tonight I am going to try and do 30 minutes on the treadmill. I feel like I should be moving all the time and I feel guilty when I am not exercising. I think those 3 activities are enough but part of my feels guilty for not doing more. How much exercise do you guys do everyday?

It will all depend on you personally. Are you trying to lose or maintain, how intense are your workouts, are you just starting out or experienced etc. If you have a HRM you may be able to track your heart rate and see how many calories you burn based on the various activity. Then you can develop a workout plan best suited for your individual goals.

If you are just looking for a good rule of thumb, consider at least 20min at target heart rate zone and one hour per day no less than 3-5 times a week. Again, lots of variables may change that, but it is guide.