Muscle discomfort next to my shins

Options
I started walking/ jogging about 3 weeks ago, first week was fine but weeks 2 or 3 all activity seems to cause a burning pain along the outside of my shins. It hasn't improved with stretching and speed doesn't come into play either. It burns whether I am walking or jogging. My shoes are due to be replaced soon (they are over a year) but I'm not sure this will help. I do have 3 rest days a week in my plan so I don't feel like I am over doing it.

Replies

• Dlieff
    Dlieff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? I get those pains because of neuropathy. You can medicine prescribed from your Dr for that.
  • awrice1970
    awrice1970 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for proper shoes? I had similar issues when I started walking and running last year. I went to my local running store, got fitted for, and bought, a good pair of shoes and haven't had any problems since.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Sounds like your anterior tibialis. Your calves might be tight. You could have instability issues in your ankle. New shoes might help, but maybe try rolling a softball/baseball on the muscles of your lower leg. If none of this works, you could give walking a break for a week and try some other form of exercise.
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Same here I thought I had shin splints. Go to a runners world or similar and get fitted for a new pair of sneaks. Go and buy some knee high shin support socks and just take slow walks. Don't try and run I made that mistake it will set you back
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it could be a strain of the peroneal muscles. These are muscles that stabilize your foot in the side-to-side direction. It's very possible to injure them by rolling an ankle, but also by repetitive use of the foot in a way you're not used to. I'd back off on the exercise for a week or two and see if things improve, and take it more gradual. Thankfully a pain in the shin is most likely a muscle pain, not a tendon pain - it took me several months to recover (really, a year to fully recover) from an injury to the peroneal tendon. Muscle heals a lot faster.

Bad shoes can definitely be a cause, or poor gait. When you walk or run, your toes should always point forward, exactly in line with where your knees are pointing, and your foot should not roll or rotate as you move. If you rotate your foot so your toes point either inward or outward at any point during the stride, which could happen for a variety of reasons, you put a ton of weight on small muscles and tendons that are really only supposed to help stabilize the foot, and they will be injured.
  • adriannacoates80
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do have plans to get new shoes and I definitely am not used to jogging any more (just started after not for 3 years ). Possibly just tried to do to much to fast:)