Portion Size Tricks

Options
So for a while now I have been using smaller plates for my food which definitely helped trick my eyes, but now I have discovered another great trick. I bought smaller forks and spoons. They have them at crate and barrel and pottery barn, anywhere really you can even buy kids utensils ( I prefer mine to look like my real forks and spoons) this has helped me immensely with not being able to take large bites, especially with pastas. Makes you enjoy your food for longer.

Replies

• smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic idea! I will have to try it!
  • MyraLeighG
    Options
    That's smart! ;)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea, no crate and barrels near me will have to look for them though.
  • bahamachick
    Options
    thanks for this tip i will be trying this
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great idea and so simple. One of my problems has always been eating too fast (and ultimately too much). I would use a shovel if I could fit it at my dinner table. This is a great way to slow myself down. Thank you!
  • eklei123
    eklei123 Posts: 27
    Options
    I LOVE DOING THAT! I use plastic spoons instead of metal ones alot because they're a lot smaller. Especially when I eat yogurt... Makes it last a lot longer!
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Yeah I always use the salad forks that come in a standard utensil set. It does make you take smaller bites!
  • shellypoo7
    shellypoo7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Definitely didn't think of this one! Thanks for the great ideas!
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I would use a shovel if I could fit it at my dinner table.

LMAO! Too funny!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    my fiance (who isn't dieting) will even use them and I noticed he doesn't eat his dinner as quickly. Please use non disposable utensils though, it's better on the enviroment!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I always try to use my smaller bowls for the same reason.
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Good idea! Have been using the smaller dishes but never thought of using smaller utensils too!! Thanks
  • kshaw09
    kshaw09 Posts: 48
    Options
    Thats a great idea!! I have also been using smaller dishes, but will have to try the smaller utensils as well.
    Another trick I have learned is to put your fork or spoon down between each bite while your chewing, this causes you to eat slower and gives your stomach a chance to tell your brian it's full before you over eat.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Another thing I found helps is to test what you are preparing. You heard me correctly, what I discovered is that these couple bites will actually tell me that I'm full faster. There have been times that I have felt full off of these couple bites and almost had to force myself to eat dinner. I think this is because my stomach starts sending out full signals as soon as I eat something, so I feel full by the time I'm done eating much less food.

Drink at least a glass of water with your meal or even have a glass before your meal.
  • terri400
    terri400 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ikea has them too in sets for only 3.99