Should I still get a scale?

Options
StrawberryDisco
StrawberryDisco Posts: 27 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I recently moved and did not take my weight scale with me. Since then I've had to adapt to a new more active lifestyle that leaves less time for eating. I was also between jobs for a period of time so I did not immediately get a new scale because I haven't had the extra money. I've had a lot of success with counting my calories and know that I've lost weight because I am wearing smaller sized clothing...but I don't know my current weight. I'm kind of worried that buying a scale and checking my weight will discourage me and that I will obsess about the numbers and get nervous about normal fluctuations. I dont want to lose this winning streak and this sense of confidence that I'm feeling. Am I missing anything though? Is there a very crucial reason to keep a scale on hand that I'm missing? Would like to hear some opinions.

Replies

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    To benefit fully from MFP you need to update your weight once in a while. The less you weigh, the fewer calories you need to maintain that weight. Otherwise, it's not really all that important, imo.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You are losing inches which is heaps better. A body weight scale is not necessary.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you're happy with the progress and you will obsess over the scale numbers, then don't get one. If you want to be able to track your weight progression regularly then you need a scale or someplace you can weigh in.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary to have one. There are plenty of people who go by measurements, how they feel, pictures, how their clothes fit or any combination of those.

I like data and I like seeing the fluctuations. For me it's just a small piece of information to a very large puzzle.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The only scale you need is a food scale. It's ok to weigh yourself just to check progress. But don't let that be your only point of reference.
  • OutdoorCamoGirl
    OutdoorCamoGirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you don't to invest in a scale (because it may stress you more), then some supermarkets/grocery stores have the machine in them that let you check your blood pressure etc.. some of those also will weigh you. I'm not exactly sure how accurate they are as I've only used the blood pressure portion, but I know weight is an option among other things.

OR

Just find a local physicians office and run in there. I know that they would let you jump on their scales just to check your weight. Do it once a month, just remember that pounds are not everything, inches are a great "check" as well.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You're losing inches - great job! I'd definitely make the monthly measurements a 'thing' so invest in a tape measure! As for the scale, I think it would be worth 'checking in' from time to time to see how you are getting on and so you can adjust your calories accordingly based on how your weight changes.

That doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy one but perhaps visit your local doctor's surgery every month or so (they usually have a free scale inside that you can use)! Remember if you do weigh, make sure you are doing so at the same time of day as your previous weigh-in!