Problem making meals under 500cals

Options
So I've been having problems trying to keep my meals under 500cal but really should be eating about 400 each meal, any tips to help? like low cal veggies, alternatives to potatoes, ect?
I know I've been eating too big of a meat proportion, so what sort of meats are lower in calories, I'd assume fish but am not sure.

Appreciate any advice :)

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Chicken is always a good place to start calorie-wise but one of my favourite meal items is ratatouille. It's really filling, hot and comforting. Because the only items are vegetables (no potato), tomato paste and wine it's pretty low in calories. Super tasty.

But how many meals are you having? You can definitely eat more than 1200 calories in a day so unless you have other treats in there too, you may have the bar too low.

Feel free to add me or look at my diary if you like.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Turkey is a good option, i use lean turkey mince for burgers, chilli etc. use sweet potato and just cram your plate with green! kale, spring greens, sugar snap peas etc, all really low x
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If you feel like potatoes, eat potatoes. Just have a small serving. I'm having a pork chop and potato salad tonight.

But yeah, chips (fries for you murricans) are heavy on the kilojoules. I very rarely have those, except on big exercise days.

Good luck with losing weight! Just remember, deprivation diets lead to bingeing and yo-yo-ing.

Eat what you like, within your calorie limit, for a sustainable, healthy and happy way of living.

Best wishes.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    All of my dinners are under 500, but easily adjustable to more because I cook for my DH as well. You're welcome to add me and check out what I'm cooking. I eat a lot of chicken and tuna, but we still eat beef at least once a week just in a smaller portion. Everything is bulked out with vegies! Tonight it's Thai chicken larb in lettuce cups. Earlier this week, slow cooked chicken and vegies (zucchini, white beans, capsicum, tomatoes, plenty of herbs). I still eat lasagna, chilli, ramen and lots of delicious things. A lot of my recipes come from Michelle Bridges cook books but I up the calories a bit because I find the portions a bit small. Have you checked out sites like http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • tinnakriss
    tinnakriss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Potatos (pomes frites) with NO OIL baked on 275• !! 100g-77kCal, my favourite way to eat potatos. Than chicken is the best option for meat, also turkey, fish.... You can also eat eggs or low-fat chesse... And ofc a lot of vegetables
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I always try and add something like mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach etc to my meals as they're very low in calories but can be pretty filling. A good place to start with meal ideas is to google (or search on Pinterest) for 'low calorie dinners/low cal meal ideas' etc.

Meat wise things like chicken, salmon etc are a good place to start. Meats like pork (pork chops, sausages etc) are often higher in calories- but not always. Realistically you can have all of those things as long as the portion size is right.

I've stopped eating potatos so much now, just because I'd rather use those calories on something else (smaller portions just dont seem to cut it for me) but sweet potatoes are great. Chopped thing and microwaved in water for a few minutes until slightly soft, then baked/grilled with seasoning- makes some great fries. Or mashing it together with lower cal options like carrots or parsnips to make some sort of mash :)
  • messyjessy01
    messyjessy01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I swapped potatoes for sweet potatoes or even better pumpkin.

A key factor is portion sizes. I weigh everything in kitchen scales eg 100g chicken, 100g pumpkin and steam veggies (about 1 cup)
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If you have set yourself up for a 1200 calorie day, that's your first big mistake and more important than your meals being over 400.

Anyway, I have no trouble eating under this since I don't eat meat. But what might probably help you is to work out how many grams of protein you should be eating per day for your body: 1 gram per kilogram of bodyweight is the global standard recommendation. there are 2.2 pounds to the kilogram so it shouldn't be hard to work out.

Then divide the number of grams you need into three and get a third at eat meal. You don't need to eat meat at every meal. In fact meat once a day is even more than enough from a health point of view.

Try learning how to put vegetables at the centre of a meal insteaad of meat and experiment with other forms of protein as your core protein for hte meal. And its not all about eggs. Lots of dieters seem not be able to think beyond the egg, wonderful as it is. Try lentils, beans, firm tofu, soft tofu. And then there's cheese adn milk and yoghurt. And even pasta has a reasonable amount of protein. So wholegrain bread. Not to mention nuts and seeds.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Protein, veggies, rice or quinoa = usually around 400 calories. Incidentally, why under 400? 1200 should be your base and you're earning more through exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    Options
    If you change your Diary Sharing setting to Public, it will be so much easier for us to tweak what you are currently eating. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Protein, veggies, rice or quinoa = usually around 400 calories. Incidentally, why under 400? 1200 should be your base and you're earning more through exercise.

I don't know about the OP but keeping meals around 400 calories means I get 3x300 calorie snacks through the day as well and maybe a treat at some point (then again I'm losing more than 1 lb/week eating around 2200-2400 cals per day...).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Options
    Open your diary for better advice.
    Every meal doesn't have to be 400 calories. I eat a smaller breakfast, medium lunch and larger dinner.
    Prelogging your whole day might help you make better choices.
    Eat a portion of calories you earn from exercise.
    Pair higher calorie items with lower calorie items like vegetables. A lot of vegetables are very low calorie. If a potato doesn't work then maybe a salad or a bunch or broccoli would fit better.
    Reduce your portion sizes of the higher calorie item.
    Watch things like oil, butter, condiments, dressings or sauces. You can reduce or eliminate these additions and cut calories down.
    If you fry items, use less oil or try baking or grilling instead.
    Beans and lentils can be very filling and lower calorie. Try some meatless meals.
    Article about meat choices- http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1710
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Eatingwell.com has tons of ideas. If you go there and search "500 calories" you'll get lots of ideas. Pinterest too!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Meats I typically eat throughout the week, and have no problem keeping meals under 500 cals: Chicken, trout, salmon, tuna, turkey (ground turkey for cooking - to me it's even better than ground beef - soaks up the seasonings more).
    I eat potatoes sometimes too, just make sure you're not eating an over abundance at one time and you'll be fine.

Some of my go-to veggies/sides: zucchini, cabbage, cauliflower, spring mix salad, yellow summer squash, spaghetti squash, asparagus, quinoa, couscous, rice, sweet potatoes

Feel free to add me to check my food diary for ideas.
  • Healthyby2017
    Healthyby2017 Posts: 9 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone, Im not trying to eat under 400cals between that and 500cals each meal i'd be happy with. Im trying to get a base meal plan set up so that I can have snacks during the day, I used to either not eat at all then eat a huge meal or eat little bits of bad food all day. trying to find a happy medium and healthy too. I though 500 was a bit much every meal but when I calculated my BMR several different sites said different things one said 1400 or so another 1900 cals :neutral: