do leg extensions/curls actually acheive anything?

Options
I find these the most useless leg exercises in the gym, they've never done anything for me. Leg press and squats are far better. Other people I know swear by these machines though. Opinions?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    They're isolation exercises. Comparing them to squats is comparing apples to apple pie. I use lying leg curls to help with hamstring development and am happy with my progress.

Are you adding more weight?

• Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    All I know is when I do leg extensions my quads are on fire... so it's doing something
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Like jemhh said you can't compare them to squats or leg presses. Actually you can't compare squats AND leg presses to each other. They are isolation exercises that isolate the quads or hamstrings, so as long as you are using progressive resistance they can be a good addition to squats and leg presses.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I find them quite effective. If you find them useless try slow down the movement and / or add more weight.

I use them especially to stretch out my legs after a particularly intense spinning class. They are also a good exercise just for building my leg muscles.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »
    Like jemhh said you can't compare them to squats or leg presses. Actually you can't compare squats AND leg presses to each other. They are isolation exercises that isolate the quads or hamstrings, so as long as you are using progressive resistance they can be a good addition to squats and leg presses.

This. But, if you don't see utility in them why do you care what faceless internet people (though awesome) think about them? If you don't see utility, ditch them and don't look back. If you like them, do them.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I think they're garbage. I prefer squats, the sled, and deadlift variants. I give a much better total workout(imo) and burn.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options
    Leg extensions and curls are a great follow up to Squats and Leg Presses. These isolation exercises enhance your performance in your compound exercises like Squats. You may want to judge your progress with the compound exercises but the isolation exercises will aid your progress.
    Don't just go through the motions. Control the weight in both directions and add weight as you get stronger.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    They can't be compared and should not be substituted for main compound movements. They should be used to strengthen and improve lagging body parts as isolation exercises. I love hamstring curls, but I really dislike leg extensions. For some reason, they make my knees ache much more.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yes they do. different exercises for different goals.

unless Cressey has a special formula for how many squats i have to be able to do until he'll let me do leg extensions or something.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

unless Cressey has a special formula for how many squats i have to be able to do until he'll let me do leg extensions or something.

Hahaha
  • brimin101
    brimin101 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    They have a purpose for isolation work. I've traded in the ham curls, for stability ball ham curls and glute/ham raises - which I feel much more.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Perfect.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Abductor and adductor machines those are useless.
  • CutsandCurves
    CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Most definitely. Especially if you're in a stuck mode and need to up your game.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    they are a secondary accessory/isolation movement and should be treated as such...they really can't be compared to primary compound movements like squats nor should they be used in lieu of compound movements...they are accessory movements.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »

No, they're not. They're just useless for what most people who use them are trying to achieve.

For strengthening little used muscles around the hip joint or building the ability to grip with your inner thigh, they work great. (Says an ex equestrian with a hip that likes to slip out of joint)
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Char231023 wrote: »

No, they're not. They're just useless for what most people who use them are trying to achieve.

For strengthening little used muscles around the hip joint or building the ability to grip with your inner thigh, they work great. (Says an ex equestrian with a hip that likes to slip out of joint)

Yes you are right I should have said in my post.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Iso exercises are important, useful tools for helping develop lagging muscle groups and busting stubborn plateaus. Plus calves are pretty much left out of squats and deads, you will be forever part of #teamnocalves :p
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    haha, I know a few body builders who can't their calves to match their upper bodies, no matter how many/heavy calf raised they do - even with steroids. I find sprinting is awesome for the legs.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    haha, I know a few body builders who can't their calves to match their upper bodies, no matter how many/heavy calf raised they do - even with steroids. I find sprinting is awesome for the legs.

This is true, attachment points are important for aesthetics. But I was mostly referring to building strength there.