needing some motivation

Options
I am about 5'4, Sw 373 cw 354 gw 200
I haven't really seen many ppl on here with success stories with sw of over 300. My goals seem so far away...I am having such a tough time with motivation and would like to see some success stories

Replies

• scampbell455
    scampbell455 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Make your own successes your motivation. No matter how small they may seem at the time, every pound counts towards where you want to be.
  • yokohama041965
    yokohama041965 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started out weighing 324 lbs eight months ago and now I weigh 208 lbs. if I can do it so can you. Just stay focus, motivated sand exercise. The weight will come off.
  • FleaBailey
    FleaBailey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    5' 6", sw 345, cw 234, gw 145

Been at it about 20 months and stopped smoking at the same time. I have seen tremendous changes in those 20 months, physically and mentally. What is the best, though, is the way I can get around now. When I started I was climbing steps by taking one step, then moving the other foot up to the same step. I was going down the stairs backwards, to rest my right knee. Now I climb stairs normally most of the time, both up and down. I hike mountain trails (slowly and carefully, but I do it). I work with a personal trainer once a week and weight train at least one other day a week (usually two). I take yoga lessons at least 2 days a week and get up and down off the floor now like a kid (well, close to it, anyway!). I am a regular at the gym and at the yoga studio--a 59 year old woman whose mantra growing up was "Whenever I feel the urge to exercise I lie down until it passes by". Who woulda thunk it? I certainly never would have.

MFP has taught me to think before I eat, to pay attention to what I eat, and to eat the way that I should. It has taught me how to splurge without sabotaging myself, and how to lose weight slooooowly, which I am really beginning to see is the best way to do it. My personal trainer and my yoga teachers have taught me how to really appreciate what my body does for me, and how to learn how to help it do more for me without injuring myself.

That little baby I see in your photo needs you to be able to chase after him/her, and I absolutely believe that you can lose the weight so that you can do it, but you need to believe it as well. You really need to set your calories for no more than 2 lbs. a week loss, and then as it slows down (which it has done for me) and the calorie limit for 2 lbs. a week becomes too low to tolerate, set it for 1 lb. a week, and then 1/2 a pound a week, so that you don't feel deprived and then give up. When you DO go over your calorie goals (and you will, everyone who's trying to lose weight does) you need to log it all anyway and just go back to your good habits the next day.

Good luck and tons of encouragement coming from a fellow "over 300" woman.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started on 2/2/14 at 348# and am now at 164#. You can do this!!
  • mona52bask
    mona52bask Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    FleaBailey, you've given her and myself great advice. There are a lot of days I struggle, staying focus. I have very good days and very bad days. I'm not sure why I keep sabotaging this process. But, I did make a promise to myself to log everything, every day. So, thanks again for the great advice. And Casjane28, you can do this. Don't give up on yourself.
  • ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about THE GOAL. Honestly, whether you have 50 lbs or 250 lbs to lose, thinking about the final leg of a long journey is going to overwhelm anyone. Instead, assign yourself little goals. Mine are goals of 10-lb increments. I am currently working on getting back into the 150s. After that it will be a goal of reaching the 140s. Smaller goals make me feel better about the hard work I put into this. They also help keep me from giving up when I stumble (and I stumble a lot). When I slack off (and even gain a few), I don't have to look at the big picture. I only have to get back into the next lowest mini goal.

For me, my motivation wanes constantly. For this reason, I had to stop thinking about my final goal weight or I'd just give up entirely. I know that I will eventually get to my goal weight as long as I keep reaching my "mini" goals.

You can do this! It's about changes that you can live with. Don't worry about how quickly the weight comes off. If starting today you give up, this time next year (at best) you'll look the same as you do now and at worst, you'll be heavier than you are right now. Imagine if you stick with it. Set a calorie number you can live with. Don't deprive yourself of the things you enjoy eating, just eat less of them at a time. Get moving. You don't have to kill yourself in the gym or lift weights 'til it hurts. Just take a walk everyday. By this time next year, with even a small change in your current lifestyle, you will be smaller than you are right now. It really doesn't matter how much smaller.

When the weight starts to come off and you realize that this isn't impossible, you start saying when I lose the weight instead of if. You start feeling better about yourself. You look in the mirror and find good things to say. Those changes become your motivation, and when you overindulge (and you're going to), remembering those feelings is what gets you back into your groove. Seriously, you can do this!
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Everybody stuggles - that's the big secret.
    Set yourself a very short term goal - 1kg (2lbs) in 1 week.
    Keep track of everything - I mean everything.
    Drink loads of water.
    Be honest with yourself.

Aim for just one day at first.

"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."

In other words - YOU CAN DO IT!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    What better motivation that that gorgeous baby in your arms? :heart: You're already well on your way. Keep it up. Read the success stories. Get up every day with the mindset that you will make one good decision, and then make another. And remember that nobody is perfect (except that baby) ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!