Need some support and fitness friends

Options
Hey everyone!

I am going through a rough patch in my life and it is affecting mutiple things in my life. One thing that has been affected is my fitness. I started out good, kicking it in gear but lately I have lost serious motivation. What do you guys do to stay motivated? This personal issue is definitely huge but what can I do to make me stay focused? It seems like I go through "fitness spurts". I guess I'm just venting. But anyways need help and fitness friends!

Replies

• mrsaldrich13
    mrsaldrich13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I hear ya!
    My motivations this time are that my father in law was diagnosed with lung cancer and quit smoking after 50 years of it! My Hubby and I both agree of he can do THAT we can start taking care of ourselves better too! So we are! Plus in almost 40 and heart disease runs really high in my family. Its time for me to grow up and stop making excuses! Add me if you would like!
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Its hard to tell someone else how to stay motivated you really need to find it within.
    For myself...I just try to remember I'm worth putting time in to stay healthy. When I lost focus on that and put everyone before me, I gained 50+lbs.
    I'm a wife, mother, work full time as a critical care nurse (long hours), assist my aging mom, and help my recently widowed sister raise my 2 nieces. So I'm busy. I'm also getting older and at risk for many diseases I hope not to have inherited. I do have a few health issues myself that I try to keep in check.
    So with all that said....I workout 5/6 times a week. Picked up running and get about 16-20 miles in a week.ive lost almost 60lbs this past year. Working out is my anti anxiety medication!!!
    Today was a stressful day and I couldn't wait to get out for a run. And after I did it, I felt soooo much better. The pit in my stomach was gone. I use to eat that pit feeling away but today I worked out instead. That's how I know my life will never be like before.
    Not sure any of that makes sense or is helpful.

Just go do something maybe you will feel better after and for a moment forget about your everyday concerns.

Good luck!
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My best advice is to remain as consistent as you can. You don't have to be perfect so remove that pressure but just try to stay with the routine you want. A workout buddy or trainer or nutritionist can be great for an outside source of motivation. We all have times where self motivation just isn't quite enough,

• biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me bro, and hang in there!
  • carolgrn
    carolgrn Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I think many people go through these patches. I know I do. My favorite exercise is swimming at my gym's heated pool. Love it! Can get in cardio, resistance exercises, and relaxation; all together.
    I have decided that no matter what I want to swim at least 3days a week for a minimum of 1hr.
    Figure out what is your most favorite cardio or other exercise and think of it as a treat for yourself.
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Everyone is motivated by different things. Find what motivates you and stay consistent with your routine! I get motivated by other people and the fact that I feel better overall and have more energy when I workout consistently.
  • CurvesCreations22
    CurvesCreations22 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    MFP helps me stay motivated. I surround myself with positive people. Life throws you curve balls sometimes. We may strike out but we have to get up and go back up to bat. We are here for you. Feel free too add me. :) I got your back.
  • carolgrn
    carolgrn Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    bababs89 wrote: »
    Everyone is motivated by different things. Find what motivates you and stay consistent with your routine! I get motivated by other people and the fact that I feel better overall and have more energy when I workout consistently.

Exactly what I was trying to say
  • ShansGotGoals
    ShansGotGoals Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Sometimes just seeing others hard work and success can be enough to keep you at it! And getting those comments and little check ins from MFP friends. Keep your head in the game and find a way to work out that frustration. Recently for me it's boxing -- Really take out my frustration on the bag or my sparring partner! LOL Feel free to add me and stay strong, dude.
  • cnkihm
    cnkihm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi drbuzzard91, losing weight is simple but hard. Don't be discouraged if the numbers don't change or even go up after a few weeks, just remember that over everything else CICO matters. That extra 2 lb may come from water weight, or heavy clothing!

One thing that helps me stay motivated is being around family and friends that are also using MFP. So far we have improved our health and appearance so much; I wouldn't give it up for anything!

Stay strong! Feel free to add me :smile:
  • paul4251
    paul4251 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can I join this group? My name is Paul. .I'm 53..Lost my wife of nearly 28 years 3 months ago..June 27 2015..since then I've lost 25 lbs..so much I passed out at work..now I'm on stress leave. Never hungry..joined a gym..what a mess.im very positive but just can't eat. Fun..wow...lol.
  • mikehardin62
    mikehardin62 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    drbuzzard91, hello, lavrn03, is so on point...take her advice!!!

I to have many things in my life that SUCK...but staying healthy and busy makes it all manageable.

Someone here mentioned putting others problems before theirs. I have learned never to do such a thing.

Also remember. ..THIS TO WILL PASS!!

THE way i stay focused is to remember that being fat and out of shape is the same as being in a PRISON!!! And guess what?
    I'M not going back to that PRISON EVER! I have lost 84lbs and I have reached my goal weight! And now with my fitness buddy, i am able to keep it off...we encourage one another. I hope that helps...and you can add me to your list of friends if you would like.
  • mikehardin62
    Options
    mrsaldrich13, i would like to say i am sorry to hear about your father.

My sister, my mother, and my father all lost the battle.

That is why i am doing what you and your husband are doing.

Cause it makes perfect sense! !!!!
    Keep up the good fight and if i can help in anyway please message me.
  • mikehardin62
    Options
    paul4251, I'm not sure if you have to join...Just speak your mind and to rest will follow.
  • drbuzzard91
    drbuzzard91 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This has helped and I appreciate your advice.
  • mikehardin62
    Options
    What ever it takes to keep you on track drbuzzard91 and good luck!