Do you eat until your full or just until your not hungry?

Options
This may sound strange but since I've been on this new healthy life style I try to eat only until I’m not hungry anymore not until I'm full.
My fiancée says I'm crazy that they are the same thing but to me not being hungry anymore comes WAY before I'm full, am I nuts or does anyone else do this and see the difference?

Replies

• rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    THere's totally a difference. I try to eat just until I'm no longer hungry...but sometimes I still feel that need to feel full (which I'm working on...)
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I portion out what I'm going to eat and then just eat that. If I feel full before I finish then I stop eating. If after an hour or so I feel hungry then I eat a healthy snack. good luck!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I have always been a "big eater" so it's been a little different for me... I am starting to recognize that I feel better if I eat until I'm not hungry. If I eat until full, I am uncomfortable now.
  • myshell67
    myshell67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i definitely see the difference. it's hard to eat until your what i call full when your limited to 1200 calories per day :smile:
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    you have lost 35 pounds! that is awesome! whatever you are doing is working, so who cares what he thinks! lol just smile and keep on doing what you are doing!!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    For me I have I have always equated that "full feeling" with that of a Thanksgiving meal, where you feel stuffed more than the turkey was! I hate reaching that point. I eat until I get the signal from my stomach that I am done. I can be starving at one bite and be done the next. I find by doing this I am hungry a couple hours later, but I never have that can't move feeling. I prefer to eat more smaller meals everyday than eat large meals. I've always been that way my entire life.
  • mict197
    mict197 Posts: 12
    Options
    Definitely eat only until you are not hungry anymore. This can be tricky because it takes sometimes 10 minutes for a hormone to be released by your hypothalamus gland to signal that you are done. That is why it is important to eat slowly, which is difficult for me sometimes because of working as a paramedic, my eating gets interrupted quite frequently. It is surprising sometimes when you do eat slow and get interrupted for a few minutes and when you think about it, you aren't really that hungry anymore...at least in my case.

6725965.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I eat for portion usually thats perfect but if I feel full before then I stop.
  • percussionbeat
    percussionbeat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stop once I'm not hungry, and not only when I'm fit to bursting like I used to.

Read somewhere that's it's the healthiest to just stop when you're at about 70% full. Realised that the most important thing is to eat slowly, so that the food has time to get down and you'll feel it, rather than eat fast and not be able to tell when you're at 70% until much later, which may be too late hahaa..speaking of which, think I ate too fast for dinner..feeling a tad too full now..
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    That is what i have been doing and it is tough because i have always stopped after it started to almost hurt from being full. (lol) that is crazy. Now i eat what i put on my plate and knowing that i can have a snack later to look forward to, if i want it, helps.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on what I'm eating. :wink:
  • Jodasi
    Jodasi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think you have it right- there is a big difference between eating until you're not hungry and eating until your full or stuffed. Obviously you're doing great so you figured out what works for you. Keep it up. Maybe I should start asking myself that very question when I'm eating- if I'm no longer feeling hungry- that will be my cue to stop eating- not until I finish what's on my plate or until I'm very full. So simple yet so complex. LOL. Thanks for the eye-opening question.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If you eat a little slower and add more fiber to your meal it may help make these one in the same. There is some delay in the time your brain knows you ‘re full and when you actually are. I read once eating slower or taking smaller bites help you account for that time. So you will feel full when you are actually full and not stuffed. That way not being hungry and anymore and being full are likely to become one in the same. Not really an answer to your question sorry, but a suggestion to “kill two birds with one stone” if you may.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    This may sound strange but since I've been on this new healthy life style I try to eat only until I’m not hungry anymore not until I'm full.
    My fiancée says I'm crazy that they are the same thing but to me not being hungry anymore comes WAY before I'm full, am I nuts or does anyone else do this and see the difference?

Til I'm satisfied
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    I eat how many calories I've allotted myself for the meal (portion accordingly), then I stop whether I'm full and/or hungry or not. It's harder when I go out to eat with my wife, though, because I have no control over the portion (and frequently, very little control over the calories other than trying to pick something less fattening than everything else). So we have cut way back on dining out and only go once or twice a month now. In those cases, I just more or less throw caution to the wind and eat whatever I want...which, now that I've gotten my eating habits in line, isnt anywhere NEAR as much as it was before. Gone are the days of 2 or 3 appetizers, an entree, drinks, dessert and a glass of Wares to wash it down!
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options

:smile: You are correct. There IS a difference. :happy:
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you guys get it, that's why I come here, you get my craziness no one else does!!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I find that I'm full (feeling stuffed) a lot quicker than I use to.... even though my brain (?) says I want to eat more but I physically can't.... or is that just me being greedy....?