Are egg yolks good for you???

Options
I've heard that the yolk is good for you, but I've also heard that it is where all of the cholesterol comes from and you should avoid them. I was eating 1 whole egg and 1 egg white for breakfast, but now I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Replies

• mkeenan
    mkeenan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the yolk is good for you, but I've also heard that it is where all of the cholesterol comes from and you should avoid them. I was eating 1 whole egg and 1 egg white for breakfast, but now I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Tell me what you think.

Thanks!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    The yolk is most of the calories and all of the cholesterol.

I use egg beaters original for my egg fix - but once in a while a good old fashioned real poached egg is a craving and I eat it.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a high quality protien and are very good for you:

I'll go back out and look for the study, but one study has shown eggs may actually help in lowering cholesteral. Until then:

A 2007 study of 9,500 people reported in Medical Science Monitor showed that eating one or more eggs a day did not increase the risk of heart disease or stroke among healthy adults, and that eating eggs may be associated with a decrease in blood pressure.ii Also in 2007, researchers showed that egg consumption contributed less than 1 percent of the risk for heart disease when other risk factors were taken into account. The researchers concluded that broad recommendations to limit egg consumption may be misguided, particularly when eggs' nutritional contributions are considered.iii

"People should feel secure with the knowledge that the literature shows regular egg consumption does not have a measurable impact on heart disease risk for healthy adults," says Stephen Kritchevsky, Ph.D., director of the J. Paul Sticht Center on Aging at Wake Forest University. "In fact, many countries with high egg consumption are notable for low rates of heart disease."

Not only have decades of research shown no association between egg intake and heart disease risk, but eggs are an excellent source of choline, which plays an important role in breaking down homocysteine, an amino acid in the blood that may be associated with an increased risk of heart disease.

Five More Reasons to "Heart" Your Eggs

Nutrient-rich, all-natural eggs are a welcome addition to any diet. One egg has 13 essential vitamins and minerals, high-quality protein, healthy unsaturated fats and antioxidants, for only 70 calories. Eggs' nutrient package aids in the following:
    Weight management: The high-quality protein in eggs helps you to feel full longer and stay energized, which contributes to maintaining a healthy weight.iv

Muscle strength and muscle-loss prevention: Research indicates that high-quality protein may help active adults build muscle strength and help prevent muscle loss in middle-aged and aging adults.v

Healthy pregnancy: Egg yolks are an excellent source of choline, an essential nutrient that contributes to fetal brain development and helps prevent birth defects. Two eggs provide about 250 milligrams of choline, or roughly half of the recommended daily intake for pregnant and breastfeeding women.vi

Brain function: Choline also aids the brain function of adults by maintaining the structure of brain cell membranes, and is a key component of the neuro-transmitter that helps relay messages from the brain through nerves to the muscles.vii

Eye health: Lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants found in egg yolks, help prevent macular degeneration, a leading cause of age-related blindness. Though eggs contain a small amount of these two nutrients, research shows that the lutein from eggs may be more bioavailable than lutein from other food sources.viii

On a personal note: I eat at least one egg a day for the last year and my cholesteral is half of what it was a year ago and I'm no longer on blood pressure medication. I attribute that to diet and exercise, but clearly, eating eggs was not an impediment.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Well said lessertess. I get a kick out of people just eating the whites. the yolk has tons of nutrients in it that is good for you. And the entire eggs is only like 70 calories. Eggs will help you stay full a heck of a lot longer than a bagel or pancake. for any more information on eggs you can google and go to "incredible edible egg" web site, they have all the nutritional information there and receipes.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have the yolk, thank you. YUM!! My cholesterol has never been a problem. My doctor loves me.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    If I want a bigger serving of eggs without the calories I do 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites yum! I don't think I could give up my yolks though, especially hard boiled... :tongue:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Dont worry too much about it

re read your post

I wouldnt recommend anything be eaten everyday forever.

Switch it up

oatmeal, cereal, eggs, pancakes, use whatever you like
    just know your portions and stick to them
    eggs can create cholesterol problems if you eat them everyday
    try to limit yourself
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Dont worry too much about it

re read your post

I wouldnt recommend anything be eaten everyday forever.

Switch it up

oatmeal, cereal, eggs, pancakes, use whatever you like
    just know your portions and stick to them
    eggs can create cholesterol problems if you eat them everyday
    try to limit yourself

I think the cholesterol problems would really have more to do with genetic than eggs. I eat them pretty much every day and have low cholesterol. I mainly eat the eggs cause they will keep me full. If I eat a pancake I'm hungry in about an hour. You should switch up your diet so it stays balance and you get all the nutrients that you need, but I would worry more about adding fruits and veggies the rest of the day than limiting your eggs.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    When I was eating an egg every morning my cholesterol was fine. I started eat oatmeal everyday and my cholesterol went up. I like them both so I do eat both but I don't ever worry about eating to many eggs.
    Plus like Anna said. I stay full alot longer from one egg than a bowl of oatmeal.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have been in the hospital from an operation that went wrong and ended up with a very serious infection to where it left me having to heal with it open. What the doctors and nurses suggested for me was to eat a egg every morning for the protein which protein helps heal. I understand that like anything else its good in moderation and not cooked in fat. Your doctor knows what's best for you and knows you better, wouldn't hurt to ask him or her what they believe. :heart:
  • keiko
    Options
    Karen, I hope you heal quickly and will soon be back at home.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I started out using eggbeaters and eggwhites...it wasn't making that much of a difference in my daily totals so I went back to just using the whole egg. :ohwell:
    I eat two scrambled eggs and two slices of turkey bacon every morning, YUM!!! :love:

(I too tried to switch it up with other things and those just left me wanting more food in an hour or two. Eggs keep me full until lunch time) :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I agree with Anna and such on eggs:love: They are yum, simple to fix, tons of ways to fix em'...and seroiusly a hardboiled egg with no yolk?:sad: That's just plain WRONG!:angry::noway: :huh:

:bigsmile: I think eggs get a bad rap....if you have high cholestrol in your family genetics or deal with it already yourself...probably better to check with your doc first. I think eggs are getting much better reviews than in the past. I buy Organtic, grain fed, free range eggs..OMega 3's.........nothing compared to those eggs... they are simple a whole different taste than eggs from chickens that live inside and can barely move.

We know how our bodies are when we are stressed....I often wonder just how that stressed out animal constanly penned up effects us when we eat it:blushing: :sick: :laugh: . Too many strange things are being caused by hormones added to fatten up chicken, beef, eggs, milks... so I do pick organic on a number of things for that very reason.

I often hear folks say how expensive it is to eat healthy.. My experience and thoughts are it's cheaper medically, good food goes much further than chips and icecream as far as keeping us content at meals...giving us energy, strength. Plus fast food stuff costs big bucks and then you're hungry not long after and feel gross:sick: :bigsmile: :noway:

Healthy eating is DEFINITELY less costly in the short term and long term.... just my opionion though:happy:

k, done now:bigsmile:

FC:heart:

But seriously... how can we NOT love these lil guys!:tongue: They are so darned cute and personable!!:love:X_traspecialEggs.gif
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I started out using eggbeaters and eggwhites...it wasn't making that much of a difference in my daily totals so I went back to just using the whole egg. :ohwell:
    I eat two scrambled eggs and two slices of turkey bacon every morning, YUM!!! :love:

(I too tried to switch it up with other things and those just left me wanting more food in an hour or two. Eggs keep me full until lunch time) :drinker:
    I've not tried the turkey bacon yet...:huh: gonna have to do that:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • keiko
    Options
    FC! those eggs are so cute! I would love them but not be able to eat them. Mine come without faces, makes cracking them open so much easier!

I have tried a few brands of turkey bacon. I could not get use to it. It did not have that bacon flavor I longed for.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    FC! those eggs are so cute! I would love them but not be able to eat them. Mine come without faces, makes cracking them open so much easier!

I have tried a few brands of turkey bacon. I could not get use to it. It did not have that bacon flavor I longed for.
    Well then if I ever get a hankerin' for the real stuff then I'lll just eat it and not worry about it to much ...well of course the precooked pkgs. because I am not able to cook bacon and I know IT so I would not buy raw. :laugh: I burn it everytime and it's too crispy then:noway:

I guess I hate standing there watching it....like fried chicken, never eat it anymore but a zillion years ago same deal with the chicken, burned on the ouside, red and icky raw on the inside. :angry: :wink: Again, don't want to stand and watch it cook.....boring!:noway: :laugh:

So pre-cooked it is......for those blt's.:tongue:

Thanks Keiko for helping me realize I don't have to eat the fake stuff.:smooched: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh:

FC:heart:
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    If you look at a fat in an egg, its not much, and yep eggs are a great protein, I have eggs everyday...
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

How very odd Keiko.....mine have faces...I don't mind, I just crack em' open and I don't notice the faces anymore. Actually I think when the fridge is closed and the light is off (or is ON when closed...the debate continues:noway: :bigsmile:) is when they make those faces I bet:glasses: :drinker:
  • keiko
    Options
    I don't want to hijack this thread but in talking about bacon. I have a very old pan that is made for cooking only bacon. It is humped so the bacon grease all goes to the bottom.
    Another good way to cook it is in the oven. If you use a broiler pan all the grease falls to the pan below.

Now back to our incredible edible egg!
  • Shopaholic82
    Options
    I heard it has too much cholesterol...