Schools Out...any SAHM?

Options
So school is going to be out this Friday. I was wondering how any of you sahm fit your exercise in with the kiddos home?

Replies

• Mveler
    Mveler Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM however my boys are 14 and 15 now. (not to forget the one that will be 21 in August, He is out of house now)

I measured 1 mile with the car and started walking it yesterday. The kids went with me. My husband who I never thought would get involved is dieting too! Heck we got the two doggies on a diet now :)

This is a family life change.

Other than that, I plan swimming, hiking, park and perhaps a few zoo trips.
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use the gym childcare facilities. We also do a bit of hiking as a family on most weekends.
  • loopylis
    loopylis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hey Im a sahm in the UK. I have a 8,6,and 3 year old. Ours were off for a weeks holiday last week (last hols before the long summer ones..argh!!) We go out to parks for long walks, my eldest took up Zumba with me last week lol. If theres anything else I do it in the evenings when they are in bed!
  • allaboutme221
    Options
    I have a 2 year old and as a teacher I will be out soon! I usually work out while he is with the sitter... I plan to do it in the morning before hubby leaves out to work or while he naps.. or... with him! Get your kids involved from time to time! Use them as weights if they are too tiny to do it on their own!
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 1/2 and a 1 1/2 year old. I generally eat lunch at 11:30, lay them down for rest/nap at noon and then hit play! I've been doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 which is 34 minutes long so I can squeeze it into my schedule. I was doing JM 30 Day Shred and that is about 22 minutes....I do exercise about 6 days a week on that same schedule, if it was a hour I would never get anything but exercise done. It works for me! Hope that helps!
  • carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm a SAHM to a 3 year old. It's hard and I sometimes have to stick him in his room to play, but I get it done. I try to get my workout done in the morning before he wakes up. Plus, I have more energy and can preform better and burn more calories that way.
  • cjpblue
    cjpblue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5:00--long before they do--and excercise on the elliptical before they get out of bed. It is easier for me to concentrate if I am not having to settle disputes while I am excercising. I also try to work outside a lot and spend more time playing with the kids--praticing baseball, swimming, biking, etc.
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    my kids are 11 and 9, old enough to entertain themselves for an hour. By now they know not to interrupt me with whining and arguments when I'm exercising.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I do plan on going for walks, however, walking with my kids means moving at a snail's pace - they are 6, 4, 3, and 7 months. I usually push the baby and 3 year old in the stroller and the other two dawdle along. I do my serious exercise at night when they're in bed!
  • pinklion721
    pinklion721 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old. I usually wake up at 6am to get an hour in before he wakes up. On nice days we go on a bike ride. On the days im not too tired I workout when he goes to bed.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My kids are 2, 9 & 10 They are out already. My schedule is starting to get turned upside down but I have been fitting it in one of a couple of ways. Before everyone wakes up. I have to set an alarm but it is worth it to have it over before everyone gets up and usually puts me in a better mood. Fit it in during one of my little ones shows. I use the Nike training app on my Iphone for this. I set her up with a snack, her play doh and turn on Disney Princess sing along and off I go. I usually have to pause a couple of times to fgive her an assist but it gets done. I have taken all three to the park and let the older ones keep an extra eye while I do mini laps around the park. I can see her the whole time and they have fun as well. I have taken them in the jog stroller and made the bigger ones run with me. Or I do it when hubby gets home or when they are all in bed. I really do find I am in the best mood if I can do it on my own time before everyone gets up because her naps aren't guaranteed, lol...
  • julieban1
    julieban1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    what is SAHM?
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    I guess you would call me a SAHD...LOL . I will be off for the summer and have to schedule my workout around my 7 & 13 year old daughters.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I have a 5 year old and I just let him play on the computer while I work out. Some days he does good and it's not a problem, others I have to stop 20 times for him.
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a SAHM and my kids are 10 & 5, and if you count nephew who I have most afternoons, another 5 year old :smile: . What I find easiest is take them to the park and play with them. Also while there for a boost I will use a step or heavy landscape timber to step up and down for an aerobic workout while I talk to my kids or other grownups. Sometimes I'll do races with them. I'm not strong enough, but I've seen other adults use the monkey bars and do pull ups. Also I find bike and hiking trails and will let my oldest have a turn choosing the path and the youngest we will pull in wagon if she tires. Sometimes we jog the trails and other times we just walk and talk or make it a scavenger hunt of sorts. And over course on hot days there is swimming if you can get to a pool. Also both my kids enjoy playing wii and xbox games like just dance 2, dance central, and other active games which are perfect on a rainy day or late night. Hope this helps.
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    SAHM = stay at home mom
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I forgot to mention my children are 2 and 5.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 13 and dieting with me. Not really "dieting" but shed like to lose 5 pounds for health issues it was recommended. So we hit the pool :-)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I have two boys, 5 and 8! I play Wii boxing with them, or let them play the bowling (I'm terrible at it) then I do sprints on the treadmill while I watch them!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and a 14 month old. I'm still working right now ( we don't get out until the end of June), but I work out in the mornings before everyone wakes up. I get up at 5:30am and pop in a DVD. I usually get a video and a shower in before they wake up- when they wake up early I just give them some cherrios and finish. My 3 year old has 1lb weights that he uses to "work out" with me if he wakes up early.