Is 1200 calories too low?

Options
I am trying to find the perfect balance of calories. How does one figure out what is the best balance to have a consistant weight loss?

I am not a cheater on my food.

I am just starting on a cardio and strength training routine.

I have RA so exercise is not always possible.

Any advice is great. I am new but my overall menu is very close to the couple days I have posted. I eat the same each day with the exception of dinner.

Thanks!!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    i limit myself to 1200 but with workouts i can eat back the calories. My goal is at least 1 lb a week and i have lost more than that so far. :)
  • bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    1200 was too low for me. I eat 1500 and eat back most of my exercise calories and lose 1-2 pounds a week. I just increased it randomly one day from 1300 to 1500 and it still works for me. You just need to play around with calorie limits and stick to it for a week or so to see how it affects you. Good luck!
  • bragz
    bragz Posts: 22
    Options
    Im no expert so I'm gonna rehash what my Dr. told me. He said 1200 is low but sufficient if I did no exercise on that day. The days I run and lift he told me 1600 minimum. I'm still sticking around 1400 just cause I'm losing weight and scared that if I bump up to 1600 it will slow the process but...
  • michelnie
    michelnie Posts: 30
    Options
    1200 is a good number to start but when you feel like you've reached a plateau you'll need to increase. Why? Because you've reached a point where 1200 is not enough to sustain your body. Don't be afraid of increase, it seriously works to break plateaus.
  • manny_bee
    manny_bee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i lowered mine to 900. and usually eat between 700 and 1000. i lost 3.2lbs last week.
  • frenchielover
    Options
    @Manny....just a heads up you are probably going to be bombarded with messages about not eating enough cals.....LOOK OUT! :tongue:
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    I have mine set to about 1320, and I eat back my exercise calories as well. I'm losing 1.5-2lbs per week (a healthy amount)
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    1200 calories works for some people and doesn't work for others. It didn't work for me I found it too low, I did research and started up to 1400, then I just recently figured out my BMR and had to bump it up to 1686. Just started on the 1686 so can't give you a lot of input on whether that is working or not.

Just keep in mind the female body needs at least 1200 a day to function properly, I wouldn't recommend going lower unless advised by your doctor.
  • CBKMom
    CBKMom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my plan to my base BMR and will try to stay close to that. I am not willing to eat my activity earned as I want to lose about 2 lbs a week.

Thanks for all the input.
  • bragz
    bragz Posts: 22
    Options
    Keep us updated. I'm curious if I should increase mine but like I said I'm reluctant to pull the trigger since my diet has been going well. Maybe it would go better if I went to 1600.
  • praxeis
    praxeis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1200 Calories is a bit tough to do. I started out that low and found it was causing me to look for sources of energy (snacks, sweets, you name it). I modified my diet to bring it up to 1400 or so and coupled with my workouts, it's helping me to lose 3-5 pounds a week.

Listen to your body - it will tell you when it needs to eat - just make sure it's the right type of foods!!

Cheers.