Any tips for newbie?

Options
I'm brand new to all this and I'm aiming to lose 3 stone by march/April is this possible?

Replies

• randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    3 stone? 60 pounds? In 7 months. That seems like alot to me. Would you be able to sustain that after you lose the weight? How are you planning to lose so much so fast?
  • lauraleefaith
    lauraleefaith Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Find someone you can be accountable to. It's made a difference in my journey and could help you in yours!
  • DBL_IronDog
    DBL_IronDog Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Everything is possible if you want it bad enough. You are in the perfect place to begin!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I really like the links I compiled here for those getting started, but all of the posts in the pinned topics at the top of each section are great: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie#latest
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It won't be easy but you can do anything you set your mind to. Good luck to ya!
  • darenc_1972
    darenc_1972 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Stay consistant. Surround yourself with people on the same mission.
  • Caitlinclark012
    Options
    randomsue wrote: »
    3 stone? 60 pounds? In 7 months. That seems like alot to me. Would you be able to sustain that after you lose the weight? How are you planning to lose so much so fast?

I've joined a local gym and hired a personal trainer to train with once a fortnight
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    More important than exercise is counting your calories and weighing yourself. Get a food scale, they are cheap. Determine how much your "break even" caloric intake is, and eat significantly below that (about 25%). Get plenty of protein and lift weights. You will preserve muscle mass this way, and burn off your fat. Too much cardio and you will burn both muscle and fat (not nearly as good). Too many calories, and exercise will do very little to get you where you need to be.
  • Caitlinclark012
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    Tips...don't be too hard on yourself. You have holidays coming up, enjoy those days...enjoy family and then get back to the grind. Good luck.

I'll do anything it takes to lose 3st by my 20th birthday in march! That's my aim (:
  • Caitlinclark012
    Options
    Tips...don't be too hard on yourself. You have holidays coming up, enjoy those days...enjoy family and then get back to the grind. Good luck.

I'll do anything it takes to lose 3st by my 20th birthday in march! That's my aim (:

I have every expectation that you'll surpass your goal. Sounds like you're determined. You'd be wise to read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-y
    our-path-to-sexypants/p1
    Thank you :)
  • randomsue
    Options

I've joined a local gym and hired a personal trainer to train with once a fortnight

Sharing your goal with a trainer is great. Don't forget you can get nutrition help from them. Some do and some don't but they can hellp with that too to reach your goal. Sounds like a sound plan. Glad to hear that it was through a fad diet, fasting or drastic calorie/carb reduction. You have ther drive, the resources and you can do it. Add me if you want, I am trying to lose too :)
  • randomsue
    Options
    Wasnt through a fad diet lol
  • Caitlinclark012
    Options

I think I added you correctly I'm not too sure I only just signed up today
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    60 pounds in 7 months is really aggressive but possible. 50 pounds would probably be much easier to reach. Best advice - track calories accurately and honestly.
  • Caitlinclark012
    Options
    zkhanman wrote: »
    60 pounds in 7 months is really aggressive but possible. 50 pounds would probably be much easier to reach. Best advice - track calories accurately and honestly.
    50 would suit me if I reached that. Thank you
  • randomsue
    Options

You did it right. I'm excited for you. Make weekly goals besides the weight loss. Measure yourself or I am sure your trainer will do that. Sometimes the inches will come off before the pounds but tracking your measurements lets you know you're gaining muscle and losing fat.
  • Caitlinclark012
    Options

You did it right. I'm excited for you. Make weekly goals besides the weight loss. Measure yourself or I am sure your trainer will do that. Sometimes the inches will come off before the pounds but tracking your measurements lets you know you're gaining muscle and losing fat.

Thank you so much for this advice! It's honestly a great help!