I'm addicted to fast food!

Options
I have been addicted to fast food for about six years now. It's time for it to stop. What is surprising however is that I never gained weight from it till about six months ago. I'm not over weight just want to lose some weight. Is there anyone out there that can give advice. I'm super busy with college full time and a job! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you truly feel it in a addiction, then you need to be willing to do whatever is necessary to quit.

1.) Preplan/log/even precook all of your meals. A lot of people will take a few hours a week and cook all their meals for the week and freeze them in portions.
    2.) Try to figure out if there are any "triggers" that cause you to turn to fast food. Boss yelled at you and now you want a Whopper? Figure out something else that will help you feel better.
    3.) Do whatever you can to make fast food less readily accessible. Take a different route home if your normal one passes your favorite fast food joint. If possible, don't carry any money. I never carry cash in order to avoid the vending machines at work. I don't always love not being able to get chip/twinkies etc, when I want, but it helps me stay in my calorie goals.
    4.) If you're not truly addicted, and just really like it, figure out how to fit your favorite foods into your calorie goal. You might not be able to eat it every meal, or even every day, but cutting it out entirely is probably unnecessary. I eat fast food at least once a week, and make it fit my calorie goal.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    "Fast food" is pretty broad. To what, exactly, are you addicted? The convenience?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a behavioral issue. Start with small changes - not getting fast food for several days in a row. Substitute other activities for it (how about some homemade food prep?) Gradually decrease your dependence on the ritual of eating fast food.
  • tygee190
    tygee190 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would say I'm addicted to the price, convenience, and taste. To be honest I would rather eat fast food then a home cooked meal. It's is really hard to avoid it I pass it on the way to work and on the way home no matter which way I go. I have tried this week to only get a Mcdonald sweet tea and no food.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    tygee190 wrote: »
    I would say I'm addicted to the price, convenience, and taste. To be honest I would rather eat fast food then a home cooked meal. It's is really hard to avoid it I pass it on the way to work and on the way home no matter which way I go. I have tried this week to only get a Mcdonald sweet tea and no food.
    Then eat it, just less of it. It has fat and carbs and protein, all of which you need.

• vivmom2014
    Options

You're going to have to plug in something else to divert the behavior. Exercise? More time studying? Getting together with friends to make & share dinner?

• tygee190
    Options

vivmom2014 wrote: »

You're going to have to plug in something else to divert the behavior. Exercise? More time studying? Getting together with friends to make & share dinner?

The behavior occurs on the way to work I go straight to work after class and don't have time to cook. So it is easier to stop and get food. Does anyone have suggestions of what I can pack for lunch that will keep me full and be able to sit in my car for hours?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

The behavior occurs on the way to work I go straight to work after class and don't have time to cook. So it is easier to stop and get food. Does anyone have suggestions of what I can pack for lunch that will keep me full and be able to sit in my car for hours?
    An insulated lunch bag inside a small cooler would allow basically anything you wanted.

Yogurt, chicken, fruit. Whatever you like that keeps you full.

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I've found nuts, especially peanuts to help with satiety, especially between classes or on my way home from school, and they're really easy to pack. A 1/3rd of a cup will keep me full a looooong time, but usually I just pack about 1/6th of a cup because it takes the edge off without overloading my calories. I'd suggest that if you need to munch in the car.

What made me decide to stop buying as many quick foods is looking at my money and seeing how much of it disappeared into "oh I'll just have a breakfast sandwich today" or "oh I'm tired and don't want to make a lunch for tomorrow, I'll just buy something". It really adds up, even though it's "cheap" (still more expensive than home-food, usually). I find, if you look at how much gets spent over a month or a year, and then decide to do something else that's rewarding with that money, like savings or planning for a trip, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

An insulated lunch bag inside a small cooler would allow basically anything you wanted.

Yogurt, chicken, fruit. Whatever you like that keeps you full.

Another vote for the cooler and anything you like. Sandwiches are convenient.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Pack snacks to keep in your car.

I tend to stay fuller on higher protein/fat foods:

Beef jerky
    String cheese
    Nuts
    Greek Yogurt
    Deli meats

Keep an ice pack in a cooler.
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »

What made me decide to stop buying as many quick foods is looking at my money and seeing how much of it disappeared into "oh I'll just have a breakfast sandwich today" or "oh I'm tired and don't want to make a lunch for tomorrow, I'll just buy something". It really adds up, even though it's "cheap" (still more expensive than home-food, usually). I find, if you look at how much gets spent over a month or a year, and then decide to do something else that's rewarding with that money, like savings or planning for a trip, etc.

Definitely this. You are spending a LOT of money if you're eating out every day.

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Can you replace junk fast food places with healthier restaurants? Like Freshii, or WholeFoods hot bar, or Just Fresh, or places that cater to healthy eaters?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    You can still have fast food. Just eat less. Go for only kids meals.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Find nutrient-dense substitute foods to deal with the cravings. Eat those instead. If you want salt and fat, eat it. Just get it from a better source, and cut the portions gradually. Count your overall calories and weigh yourself. Get yourself to a point where you can cut fast food altogether and eat at a 20% caloric deficit.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »

Pack snacks to keep in your car.

I tend to stay fuller on higher protein/fat foods:

Beef jerky
    String cheese
    Nuts
    Greek Yogurt
    Deli meats

Keep an ice pack in a cooler.

This is a good idea ^^^^^^
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If you can't kick the addiction, just try and eat less so your calories stay at the level that's right for you. Check out Professor Haub's twinkie diet, which he did to prove that it was quantity and not what you eat that matters:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2010/09/29/junk-food-the-new-weight-loss-diet

The downside with this diet though is that it must be lacking in micronutrients, so you'll still want some fruit and vegetables with it.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Seems like it's more of a convenience thing.
    As others have said, just make yourself a packed lunch and take that with you.
    Sandwiches, Pasta based meals pepped the night before, Yogurt, Fruit,..... anything you like that is quick and easy.
    I do like fast food too, but it's just not healthy eating it every day.
  • tygee190
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    If you can't kick the addiction, just try and eat less so your calories stay at the level that's right for you. Check out Professor Haub's twinkie diet, which he did to prove that it was quantity and not what you eat that matters:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2010/09/29/junk-food-the-new-weight-loss-diet

The downside with this diet though is that it must be lacking in micronutrients, so you'll still want some fruit and vegetables with it.

Thanks so much for the advice I will have to check that out.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Any addiction, whether real or perceived, is conquered in the same manner - a true desire to quit. If you really want to quit, you will. No matter how strong the craving or need, you will stop when you really want to stop. It won't be easy and you shouldn't expect it to be. But if you want it, you'll do it.