Overweight Vegan

Options
Hello just thought I'd say hi, I'm currently overweight bordering on obese, I used to be 3 stone lighter but got there in a really unhealthy way so of course it's all come back on. I'm looking forward to being healthier though! And sticking with it this time. I'm eating mainly fruit as snacks and for breakfast which means my sugar and carb content is always over but I am working on it. Does anyone have any healthy vegan recipes they want to share? I'm doing fine for all categories (yes, I get enough protein) apart from iron - I'm looking I to iron rich foods though so hopefully it will improve! I'm currently going in runs and doing an interval training fitness DVD, I plan on going to the gym after a bit of weight loss as last time I went to the gym looking like me someone followed me around calling me fatty and trying to take pictures of me. Good luck everyone and I hope you get where you want to be :D

Replies

• ramona_roy
    ramona_roy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I'm sure you can do it. You should try a brisk walk in the morning, it helps a lot to hold off hunger during the day. Plus after a nice hot shower you feel great.
  • Mollyp4321
    Mollyp4321 Posts: 9 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try walking to work and showering when I'm there I think :)
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hey Molly, how long have you been vegan?
  • jennynavarroo
    jennynavarroo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try a high carb low fat vegan diet
  • Hcochran94
    Hcochran94 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Vegan for 16 years here. Its all about how you pick your foods. Try using TVP, and seitan as a meat replacent and do not weigh it down with sugars and fats. Make the faux meats yourself! Just because it animal free doesn't mean it's healthy. Beyond meat is great in protein but awful in most everything else as are other fake meats. Read everything you purchase (not just for animal ingredients hidden) low carb, low fat, high protein, take a vitamin (most vegans are VERY deficient which can cause weight gain) and lots of water.
  • Mollyp4321
    Options
    I've only been vegan for a few months to be honest, I've only just opened my eyes! I eat mostly carbs anyway because I'm eating mostly fruit in the day, I've picked up some tips from Freelee :) thanks for the tips - I've found the vitamin thing on here really helpful actually, I was lacking in iron but now I make sure I eat more of it.

• Blueandblues
    Blueandblues Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am vegan too. Let's be friends :)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great vegan recipes online. My favorite sources are Fat Free Vegan, Minimalist Baker, and Oh She Glows.
    I recommend against following Freelee. Even most vegans, myself included, think she's a nutter, and she knows zero about nutrition. If you want to follow a low fat vegan plan, you can find lots of great resources at PCRM.org.
  • Gaz_Palmer
    Gaz_Palmer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi all- overweight vegan here too!
    I have just joined and committed to do something. I am aiming for 24 kilos/53 pounds off.
    For me it's cutting out or down on the processed foods, sauces and breads.
    I want to go over as much as possible to a raw food diet.
    Anyone else trying raw food diet?
  • Mollyp4321
    Options
    Oops only just found this thread again, I'm awful at the internet. I've been attempting to be vegan for just over a year and feel as though I'm finally getting there as to start with I'd constantly eat first think of ingredients after. I'm still eating lots of fruit but try to only eat fruit before 4pm and then veggies after. I'm still wanting to lose about 45 pounds but that will come with time - I mainly want to focus on being healthier and then hopefully the weight will come off - processed food is my downfall and my sweet tooth but I am (slowly) getting there
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Maybe being a vegan isn't right for you.
  • Mollyp4321
    Options
    Maybe being a vegan isn't right for you.

I'm vegan for the animals, I'd rather be thirty stone and vegan than eight stone and not, but thanks for the input any how :)