Planter Fasciitis Anyone? Ugh! Need help with Shoes & Workout Please!

Options
Hey Guys,

Any Suggestions for Shoes & Sneakers for Planter Fasciitis. It really has put a hold on my workouts. I still need to lose some weight, which in the end I know will help with the foot pressure load. Went to Doc, doing fasciitis stretches ect. ~ I found a lightweight heel/ankle pad that has help some to relieve some pain. But what works best for your for daily foot gear. Any Sneaker or Shoe suggestions????? ~ I cannot wear those orthaheel shoes, Doc side a big no no as the arch support is way to high for me and throws causes hip pain, those are like walking on rocks for me. LOL~~~ Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .
Also, any gym workout suggestions to help? I do circuit training and love the ArcT, is the Arc Trainer ok to use or does it pull to much or does the stretch help? I do have less pressure on the foot with the weight, does not hurt when doing it at all, but when I get off, to walk, ouch!What about bike or row? General running for now or even walking is killing me!

Replies

• Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have found Alegria shoes to be a God send. They have a pretty pronounced arch too, but well worth a try.
    www.alegriashoeshop.com has some good prices on clearance shoes.
  • arialb122
    arialb122 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Superfeet insoles (along with a cortisone injection) have helped me immensely. I put them in all of my shoes. Also, I sleep in a PF night brace, stretch well when I wake up, and am able to go for a run with minimal pain. Good luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you should be resting your feet. not running.
    you can try a running store. they know feet and know many of the issues associated with over activity or bad shoes.
    massage, foam roll, or frozen water bottle the bottom of your feet

Here's a video from runners world
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you are looking for shoes, go to a running specialty store to get properly fitted and a gait analysis.

Planter Fasciitis and other running related injuries can be linked to a number of different issues to include shoes, poor running form, under-developed muscle groups, and doing too much too soon. How do you know you have PF? Were you diagnosed by a sports physical therapist or podiatrist?
  • SkinnyLight777
    SkinnyLight777 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys for your input! ~ @Stoshew71 ~ Yes, have been diagnosed at the docs. I have done some physical therapy for it and working with a personal trainer to address muscle imbalances. Thanks so much! @ Paulette56, thank you so much for the Brand name. Will check them out and see if the arch if ok for me. @arialb122 Thank you, I just got the night brace, so hope it helps some, I have not done any cortisone shots, hoping with the PT and stretches will help first. @moyer566 Doing all as you suggested ~ Looking for shoe brands or insoles that may have help others or workouts. Thanks again everyone!~ Anyone else have any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    arialb122 wrote: »
    Superfeet insoles (along with a cortisone injection) have helped me immensely. I put them in all of my shoes. Also, I sleep in a PF night brace, stretch well when I wake up, and am able to go for a run with minimal pain. Good luck!

^This. On the Superfeet. I never would have gotten over mine without them. Available at any running shoes store.
    Get them NOW!
    Forget the cortisone injection. It helps some people, if they have a really serious case, and do not plan on trying to exercise. But it is a temporary aid, and it is one that may undermine the strength of the tissue.
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My Physio showed me how to tape my foot to help and I did the streches constantly. It takes time but mine has cleared for a few years now without resurfacing.
    I would also keep a frozen bottle of water around so I could roll it under my foot when things were really bad.
    I cycled a lot more when mine was really bad, as I was trying to lose weight at the time also.
    If you can afford it get some shoes fitted professionally as suggested.

But DO THE STRETCHES. They work. I still do them years later. After a jog I always spend 10 mins stretching.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Cortisone saved me, but it was a last resort. I had done the PT, night boot, frozen bottle, stretches, etc, etc, etc! Oh, and I STOPPED running or doing any extra walking, and took up lap swimming and water fitness class. THAT helped more than anything. I stink as a swimmer, but I'm getting better. I am still able to get in a great workout, but I'm off my foot.

After the shots (yes, it took 2), I STILL: tape it before all runs (1-2x/week), sleep in a (better) boot, roll it on a wooden ball 2x a day, and do the stretches that put the heel below a step. EVERY SINGLE DAY (except the heel stretch-thats an every other day one). And swimming is now my main exercise.

PF stinks. Whatever you do, don't push it. You can't outrun this one. You can't speed up recovery. Even with the shots, I knew I had to wait, and I **might** be able to up my mileage back to where it was, but it will be veeeerrrry slowly. I also got rid of any and all "cute" shoes that don't give me support. And never, EVER go barefoot again. Don't ask, just don't do it. (ouch)

eta: I got it from switching running shoes-changed from a good stability shoe to a different brand that wasn't motion control. Now, I'm in a Hoka One One. They took a little getting used to, but those, combined with OTC orthotics have helped.
  • SkinnyLight777
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your added input! Will take it all into consideration! Will continue with to stretch. Trying new shoes and insole mentioned and for sure Going to tape! ~ Your all so awesome! Thank for the Support! Glad you all found some good relief!
  • SkinnyLight777
    Options
    Update~ thank you everyone for your kind input! I just wanted to update this post with what has been working for me thus far incase anyone reading this needs more added info. The night splint really had helped, I only needed it every other night for now and will only continue to use as needed. I continue to stretch and ice when needed. After doing the Thai foot and calf massage regularly the pain had gone down a lot too! ~~~ I found the "Kuru" Brand shoe online line and OMG amazing! Absolutely no heel pain with these shoes, the moment I put them on, I was totally amazed, never had a shoe fit so well, and super comfort. Ok they don't look like my Jimmy Choo's, lol, but super comfortable for workouts and daily walk/runs. So I would highly recommend them if you are in current foot pain, they really have help me get through by taking the pressure off the heel so I can heal better. Wishing everyone a pain free feet and great success with your fitness goals~
  • New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of it not full blown was just heel pain n started goin up into my leg. I started wearing burkinstock around the house when on my feet n it has gone away. When I feel it coming back I wear them again