Dumbbells and Rest Periods

Options
I've recently started working out my top half with a variety of exercises using dumbbells. (I was using machines before and have discovered dumbbells feel much more difficult!) Anyways, I am seeking opinions on resting between sets. Is it necessary if I'm working different muscles? For example, working the biceps and immediately moving to shoulders. Also, how long should I rest if needed. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Replies

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the nicest way possible, but rest as long as you feel you need to rest to optimally perform the next set. I think that some people, in particular beginners, have a habit of over complicating or over thinking programs.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    lx3tx wrote: »
    I've recently started working out my top half with a variety of exercises using dumbbells. (I was using machines before and have discovered dumbbells feel much more difficult!) Anyways, I am seeking opinions on resting between sets. Is it necessary if I'm working different muscles? For example, working the biceps and immediately moving to shoulders. Also, how long should I rest if needed. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

What you're describing is a superset, two different exercises done back-to-back (or close to it). Usually done with opposing exercises (like a bicep exercise and a tricep excercise). They're nice for time efficiency; you can get a lot of volume in a short period of time.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Yes, rest enough so you can put a strong effort on your next set. If you never need to rest after working the larger muscle groups (chest, back, legs), it's possible the weight may be too light. ;)

You work your lower body too, right?
  • ajesmum
    ajesmum Posts: 11 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I follow bodybuilding.com and have come to learn that "generally", beginners should start with total body workouts, intermediate can start with upper/lower splits, and advanced lifters should go with 4-6 day concentrated muscle splits. I mean, this is only a recommendation. Machines in the gym are assisted which is why your dumb bells feel heavier. I have a home gym and only use dumb bells and have gotten quite use to them. However, I do go to the clubhouse to use our fantastic Smith machine on leg days :) As far as resting, I have integrated active rests (jumping jacks, star jumps, jump rope, burpees, all 1-min long in between the sets) so I'm not really resting - a Jim Stoppanin approach :) you lean much faster and burn calories 2x faster
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    I like to say rest as long as you need to, but no longer than you have to. If you are using light weight and working different muscle groups, I would keep your rest to a minimum.
  • Krisfit40
    Krisfit40 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The science behind rest periods is different based on the reps completed. An example would be if you are doing sets of 12-15 than a shorter rest period is needed because you are working with a lighter load. 5-8 reps requires much more rest because of the heavier load. You will also keep your heart rate up with shorter rest which is great for your cardiovascular health. Think of it like this.. Bodybuilders typically work out with more reps short rest of 60 -90 seconds.. Power lifters take 2 - 5 minutes between working sets of lower/heavy reps. So depending on whether strength or aesthetics are your goal you have an idea of how to get there. Hope this helps.. Also if you read any fitness articles that are written by an actual professional in the fitness industry then you will find that timing your rest periods is crucial and very important.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

What you're describing is a superset, two different exercises done back-to-back (or close to it). Usually done with opposing exercises (like a bicep exercise and a tricep excercise). They're nice for time efficiency; you can get a lot of volume in a short period of time.

Yes supersetting is a great way to get more reps for different parts of the body. If your going to superset doing say five body parts at a time, you might want to rest a bit longer inbetween. Maybe a few minutes as opposed to say 30-45 seconds. I use to superset at the gym when I didn't have time to do a full workout.
  • pembr0ke
    pembr0ke Posts: 54 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you're using a heart-rate monitor, you can judge the rest time needed by the reduction time of your heart rate after lifting. When I lift heavy for 10-12 reps my heart rate can be as high as 160 bpm, which I allow to settle to 110-115 bpm before my next set. This allows for longer/shorter rest times based on load/reps and heart rate recovery.
  • taunto_
    taunto_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Rest as long as needed. Heavy weight lifters (not even talking about competitive ones) rest up to 5 minutes between sets.

But if you are moving to a completely different body area to workout, for example going from bench press to leg press, I see no reason for rest in between. I also don't allow rest between warmups.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options
    My routine cycles between light,heavy and moderate weeks. when lifting heavy(5-7 reps) I rest 3 or more mins. when lifting light(15-20 reps) I rest 2 mins or less. A good rule of thumb is rest enough that you can perform as well on the last set as you did on the first. Also I would recommend working your lower half as well. You may focus on your upper body but don't neglect your lower half. You can perform leg exercises with dumbbells like squats and lunges. You will also find out quick that a strong core is vital.
  • lx3tx
    lx3tx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the insight! I especially liked the tip to rest enough that I can perform as well on every set. I haven't been working my legs consistently. I know I need to, but knowing and doing are two different things...
    I'm also intrigued by the active rest suggestion. This may be a dumb question, but would active rest make the subsequent sets more difficult?
    I've been at this weight loss for a while and generally would use my gym for the treadmill. Now that I've lost a bit, I'm flabby and I didn't think the machines were cutting it. So new goal is firming up.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options
    Thanks for all of the insight! I especially liked the tip to rest enough that I can perform as well on every set. I haven't been working my legs consistently. I know I need to, but knowing and doing are two different things...
    I'm also intrigued by the active rest suggestion. This may be a dumb question, but would active rest make the subsequent sets more difficult?
    I've been at this weight loss for a while and generally would use my gym for the treadmill. Now that I've lost a bit, I'm flabby and I didn't think the machines were cutting it. So new goal is firming up.

Really depends on your goals. I know those crossfit folks never quit moving and I admire their endurance but for me I separate my lifting and cardio. I do walk around a bit during rest periods especially on leg day.