Planter Fasciitis anyone? Shoe/Sneaker Suggestions/ Workout?

Options
Hey Guys,

Any Suggestions for Shoes & Sneakers for Planter Fasciitis. It really has put a hold on my workouts. I still need to lose some weight, which in the end I know will help with the foot pressure load. Went to Doc, doing fasciitis stretches ect. ~ I found a lightweight heel/ankle pad that has help some to relieve some pain. But what works best for your for daily foot gear. Any Sneaker or Shoe suggestions????? ~ I cannot wear those orthaheel shoes, Doc side a big no no as the arch support is way to high for me and throws causes hip pain, those are like walking on rocks for me. LOL~~~ Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .
Also, any gym workout suggestions to help? I do circuit training and love the ArcT, is the Arc Trainer ok to use or does it pull to much or does the stretch help? I do have less pressure on the foot with the weight, does not hurt when doing it at all, but when I get off, to walk, ouch!What about bike or row? General running for now or even walking is killing me!

Replies

• mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I used to sell shoes and developed plantar fasciitis during that time. I started wearing Ecco shoes and I have been pain free for years. They have athletic shoes as well as a variety of other styles. I would highly recommend checking out a good shoe store or shoe department, look in the comfort shoe area and try on different brands to see what works for you. I worked at Dillard's, so not sure where you're at but that would be one place to check. Not going to be the prettiest shoes (though I think they've gotten better), but getting healed is the most important thing! I no longer need to wear the Eccos, but I rarely purchase shoes that don't fall into the comfort shoe category anymore. Oh and stay away from flip flops until you're healed, and even then don't wear them for extended periods of time.

As far as workouts, I'll let someone else take that one. I had a gym membership at the time, and everything I tried made my foot hurt so I gave it up. Good luck!
  • aspdenbrae
    aspdenbrae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have, well had PF something awful, until I learned where the real problem was. $100 bucks you have super tight muscles in the arch of your feet. Get a tennis ball and massage it out. Be warned, it's going to bloody hurt worse than the PF but the next day when you have no pain in your heel at all, it'll be worth it. Stretch out your calves as well.
  • starbean
    starbean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem this year, too, for the first time. It made me feel better when a teenie tiny shoe saleslady who runs told me she also gets the problem, though. :)

This is what I'm learning: Get fitted at a "real" runner's store for sneakers. They will check your pronation. Avoid flip flops, ballet flats, and slippers. Stretch your CALVES (not just your feet).

I'm also trying to re-train myself how to run properly. Not sure how much this is related, but I think it's helping: do not heel strike. Push your weight forward, move from the hips, and have your forefoot hit the ground first. It feels very different, but good.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip before you first step out from having your food relaxed for a while. Stretch it out toes pointed towards your knee a few times before you put weight on it. That way you can do your ArcT, your cycling, and your rowing. Do this stretch before you step out in the morning, too.

http://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/plantar-fasciitis-stretches#1
  • Alasha321
    Alasha321 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have an insane case in my left heel. I can't say it was a cure, however amazon sells "support socks" for the plantar fasciitus that really help a lot. They run about 15 dollars wach, get 2 for each affected foot so you can hand wash them when needed. I almost never take mine off now. It is barely noticeable and a lot of help
  • SkinnyLight777
    SkinnyLight777 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you so much for your input and suggestions! I will certainly check them out! Not worried on style, just want to get my foot in a painfree shoe at this point while it heals. I will save my chic style shoes for a fancy dinner off my feet! LOL~~~ Yes I agree about the flip flops, wearing the summer sandals seemed to trigger it last summer and this summer. When I went back to a more stable shoes fall and winter, it went away. Thanks again for all your help! Wishing your great success with your fitness journey!
  • frontierfitness
    Options
    I am also trying to find a helpful shoe for mine. I love working out on the treadmill but the pressure on my foot may end up being too much. The Arc T machine is great! Gives you a great workout with less pressure. I have Sketchers lites. They are lovely. They aren't perfect but they sure help!
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    For daily, I agree Ecco's are great. For working out, you need to get fitted by professional. Also, and I'm surprised your Dr. didn't suggest this, get orthotics made.

Finally, a night brace/splint is really helpful

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=plantar+fascitis+night+splint&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=87780485441&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14670166190712591252&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_68qnnydjo_b
  • SkinnyLight777
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I have done the ball and it does somewhat help, yet Interesting I have had the Fascia muscle worked on with in PT with a metal bar that rubs the tendon out slowly. Did this 3 times for 6 weeks It helped only a little. What I find works best is calve muscle trigger point message, I do it for 5 mins and the tension is released for a bit but only for a about an hour. So I do believe it is my calf muscles that are too tight too!
    Thank you again everyone your suggestions are greatly appreciated! Wish you all great success!
  • SkinnyLight777
    Options
    Thank you again everyone! @Nuke_64 Thank you, yeah my Doc was not a fan of custom orthos for my foot. yet sent me to PT an the night brace I just got yesterday. Thank you for you input~ Will try the Eccos, anymore suggestions on Shoes/sneakers and workouts greatly appreciated or relief ideas that worked for you. ~ Thank you!
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I wear $20 inserts I get from Sports Authority (they are red). I also wear these sandals at all times rather than being barefoot: http://www.amazon.com/Telic-Unisex-Fashion-Med-Large-Midnight/dp/B0127Q2WNC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1443648151&sr=8-8&keywords=sandals+telic

I like Asics Nimbus 17 for running...and losing 60lbs probably didn't hurt. I do have a foot roller with spikes on it and use the frozen water bottle trick.

#1 thing that helped - strengthening my calves and squats.
  • PhotogirlTX
    PhotogirlTX Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've had PF for over 20 years.. I got some orthotics made for my feet and they help out so much. When I don't have those around (or I have misplaced them) like on vacation or something, I use KT Tape. They have a video on their website on how to wrap your foot. It's amazing how much of a difference that tape makes on my feet.

Good luck! This is miserable and I deal with it everyday so I have a really good idea of what you are going through! Hope you find something that helps!
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    There is some good advice above. As for mine, I picked up orthotics from the foot doc and stopped going barefoot everywhere. Including my house (house slippers). It took several months to get better though.
  • SkinnyLight777
    Options
    Thank you again everyone for the added input. I have taped my back before for a muscle injury. But I have never taped my foot I'm definitely going to try that as it did help my back. Thank you again everybody will put all your good advice into consideration. Certainly feel free to post more info about shoes / sneakers/orthotics /or any other self care solution that may have worked for you and hopefully all your great information will help others too! Thank you for your support wishing everyone a great success!
  • Fredducharme
    Fredducharme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used Keen's and Merrills, spend the money on good quality shoes and you'll be free of PF. I did a ice cold can and rolled it on the bottom of the foot. Stretched calves daily, Everyone is correct get ride of the flip-flops
  • gambit1963
    gambit1963 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Brooks are suppose to be the best for that... They are a little expensive but worth it...
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have PF in my right foot and it really interferes worn exercise! Some great tips ^^^ !! I spent $$ on orthotics and while they did help you just can't wear them all day long every day, especially in summer, so you have to learn other tricks. Like someone said, stretching your foot before you take a first step, especially in the morning. Calf stretches are essential to take the pressure off but rolling your foot on a tennis-size ball is needed also. But it has to be a hard ball (tennis ball is too soft, cricket ball works well). Taping your foot to shorten the tendon will give it a break for a couple or three days. Cold can reduce inflammation after a long day on your feet (roll it out on a frozen bottle of water). Losing weight apparently helps too but that's easier said than done *sigh* ha ha

The tendon that's inflamed is very slow to heal so it will take time and patience, always stretch it before you take a first step, roll it out when it's hurting, before walking and at the end of the day -basically every step you take when it's painful is a set back so try to avoid by doing the above!
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I dunno about all this advice for special shoes, inserts, etc. From what I understand plantar fasciitis is caused by straining the ligament that supports your arch. If the arch falls repeatedly during exercise, standing for long periods, having to carry excess weight (being overweight), or whatever, your PF will get strained. Arches don't get their strength from being supported underneath (arch supports) nor from being buttressed (supportive footwear). Start stretching and strengthening your feet, ankles and calves. I've had PF before. All the advice about orthotics, special shoes, etc. Total waste of time and money. I would recommend a night splint though, but other than that it's all about stretching and strengthening, at least from my experience.
  • SkinnyLight777
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your input! @earth_echo Tis true my Doc feels the same about the orthotics, and only wants me to use them for temporary relief, and as the pain goes away, he wants me to start doing arche strengthening exercises to build up naturally and ween off any orthotics other then a natural fit for the foot. I just had my first night with the night splint, and WOW it does work, no pain in the morning nor throughout half the day. Its still sore but not as intense. So would definitely recommend it to anyone, it is what my Doc recommended too. I am also wearing a lightweight heal support sleeve which also helps with cushioning while still sore. So for anyone out there all these items are on Amazon. Check them out. ~ Also , ice and stretch, I did some self "Thai Massage" along the ankle and calf muscle on pressure points, gave me fast relief, really worked for me, they a few few vids on youtube so anyone can google them if you like to try. ~ Thanks again everyone for all your input~ Happy healing and great success to you.
  • mrdavis909
    mrdavis909 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    New Balance makes special shoes for those with Planter Fasciitis, it really helped me from re-injuring myself as I worked my way back. Did the doc give you a cortisone shot? It would certainly help. As for the pain and stretching; putting a cold soda can on the floor and rolling it on the ground with your foot, applying as much pressure as is comfortable, is absolutely the closest thing to heaven I know.

Also, while you are injured I would just stick to the boring old Elliptical; less pressure on your feet than just about any other cardio.