I can't get into an exercise routine

Options
I've tried and only had a few weeks success to get into an exercise routine, only to stop and do nothing for months. It sounds like the easiest thing to do but I can't get started. I'd be grateful for any ideas. Thanks x

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying. Eventually it will stick. Also, on days you don't feel like a major workout, compromise and go for a brisk walk...even if it's not long. Doing something is better than doing nothing. And the more often you do something, even if it is just a walk or a few sets of crunches, the more often you will at least think about exercising. If it is on your mind, you are more likely to do it...at least sometimes.

Also, I have no idea what you are doing, but you don't have to start out with anything too intense. Maybe if you take the intensity level down a bit it will seem like less of a chore and be more enjoyable. Try different things...you don't have to run or take a class. If you can find an activity you enjoy, it won't seem like exercise. I have a friend who is very into ballroom dancing...salsa, tango, etc. She goes two nights a week. And try doing different things on different days...it might prevent boredom and help you stay with it long enough to start to form a habit.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The only thing stopping you is yourself, and you're the only one who can make sure you do it! You just need to push through and do it. Then do it again, and again. Soon you will be in the habit and you won't want to miss your workouts.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't needed for weight loss. You can lose weight without it. That's how I lost mine.

With that being said, exercise is good for other things, so try starting slow. Pick one day a week to start with. Work on making that a habit, then you can add on. It's ok to start slow to start the habit and build on it. What are you trying to do for exercise?
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Find activities that are fun to you, like a group workout class, lifting, yoga, whatever isn't completely horribly miserable to you.

And also, it's not that you can't stick to a workout routine... It's that you won't. Huge difference. :/
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have a solution for low drive. Get a workout buddy! Accountability really helps. When I lifted weights in the Army I had one. We worked the same sets on the same days. Days he did not want to work out, I got him to the gym. The days I was schlepping, he got me to the gym. Also, a partner can up your game. It is not a competition (unless you make it one) it is just someone to give you a push when you need it. I don't care if it is spinning, yoga, lifting, swimming... You may think you have given it your all but to have someone saying "just give me 3 more" or "10 more seconds, just 10 more seconds" can push you past the comfort zone into better results.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I used to be unmotivated like that and found that my reasons for doing it just weren't enough to keep me coming back. In my head, I was running and doing exercise vids just to not be fat. Or because that's what I was told to do.

You have to find an intrinsic reason to do it and find something you like to do. It can't be pressure or motivation from an outside source, because that just wont last. Do you see your future self being capable and healthy? Do you want to set an example for your family? Maybe you want to travel? hike a mountain? run a race? maybe you see yourself finally going on that exotic vacation and rocking a bikini.

I also can't recommend progressive strength training enough. It's become almost a compulsion for me. It's incredibly motivating to see your strength go up week to week, and indisputable because the numbers are right in front of you. You feel like you're working towards something instead of just spinning your wheels.
  • aspdenbrae
    aspdenbrae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to sound mean, but I've heard this before. the problem isn't can't it's won't and that's just just letting yourself off the hook.

You have to learn to change your mindset.

Stop thinking I can't, I'll fail, blah blah and start thinking things like I'm the best, I'm gonna rock this, go me. Sounds silly but you naturally go where your mind leads.
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Me too. I walk daily during my break at work but when i get home I'm dead tired and can't motivate myself to do even the short hasfit videos I've saved from YouTube.
  • bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier and do it every morning...Or just wait until you get older and really have to do it to live a good quality of life as you age.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I really think this comes down to not enjoying what you're doing. If you actually like what you do for exercise, you will want to do it. You just need to find out what you like! Personally, I'd rather do weights than ANY cardio. I hate classes. I have to do something where I work out alone - I hate it when people talk to me, when I just want to DO IT. But, I also love tennis, so I like doing that for cardio. Anyway, you get the idea. There is something for everyone, because there's a hundred different things you can do. Find what you love! Good luck :smiley:
  • TheDailyChallenge
    TheDailyChallenge Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've tried and only had a few weeks success to get into an exercise routine, only to stop and do nothing for months. It sounds like the easiest thing to do but I can't get started. I'd be grateful for any ideas. Thanks x
    A lot of us feel the same way. Personally I'm focusing on my eating and just being more active than usual. I don't wake up early to go work out like I have planned in the past and never worked so I continuously failed. This time I created a group called a challenge a day here on mfp which keeps me motivated to daily post and complete challenges and also it's been incredible for building strength while just being more active. Join us if you'd like. Take it slow don't force urself to do anything. It's working for me and I feel just like you. Good luck!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I enjoy strength training. It's great (particularly when you're getting all the newbie gains) to see your strength go up rapidly. I also have come to enjoy the post-exercise soreness, odd as that sounds - it feels like satisfaction :smile: It's also nice to know I've actually built muscle while losing weight, rather than losing both muscle and fat.

I also do HIIT instead of traditional cardio. It's not really any more fun (it's rather hellish if you actually go full throttle when you're supposed to), but at least it's over quickly. And as I posted elsewhere, it's helped my heart significantly - my resting heart rate used to be in the 70s, now it's 55-61 after about 8 weeks. I can't say I'm dissatisfied with the results at all, even if I curse like a sailor just after a session.
  • Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A lot of us feel the same way. Personally I'm focusing on my eating and just being more active than usual. I don't wake up early to go work out like I have planned in the past and never worked so I continuously failed. This time I created a group called a challenge a day here on mfp which keeps me motivated to daily post and complete challenges and also it's been incredible for building strength while just being more active. Join us if you'd like. Take it slow don't force urself to do anything. It's working for me and I feel just like you. Good luck!
    Thank you everyone so, so very much. It's amazing how a bit of encouragement can help. I've started doing walking or stationary bike 3 times a week for about 30 mins. It's not much but it's a start. How do I get involved in the MFP daily challenge? Thanks again
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to post. I'm just going over all your posts again. Lots of ideas and I feel very encouraged. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    These are the stages of change:

1. Precontemplation (I won't or I can't)
    2. Contemplation (I may)
    3. Preparation (I will)
    4. Action (I am - usually less than 6 months of I am)
    5. Maintenance (I am - a year or more)

Figure out which stage you're at and deal with that first. You can google this for more information.
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    Thank you 47Jacqueline
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so, so very much. It's amazing how a bit of encouragement can help. I've started doing walking or stationary bike 3 times a week for about 30 mins. It's not much but it's a start. How do I get involved in the MFP daily challenge? Thanks again

This is the link to the group referenced by @Hishealthymama :

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/108626-a-challenge-a-day
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Same problem here. Ill have days or weeks of working out and then if I skip one day my routine becomes a mess. Sometimes i skip a day either because I cant make it that day or i am in pain from previous day but then 1 day turns into a week. I think for us since it is the beginning of our weight loss journey, we need to make sure to show up at the gym no matter what so that it can become a habit, even if just to do light exercising. Maybe eventually it will be easier to skip days without messing up the routine.