Time Starved Dads (or moms)

Options
Hi everyone, the last few days reminded me that I need some moral support. Being an involved dad with five kids, a 75 minute commute, a busy job, I'm finding little time to exercise but lots of opportunities to grab sweets and other unhealthy foods. Last weekend we had guests over and celebrated two birthdays with pasta, cake, and ice cream. What are others busy parents doing to stay on track and find time to excercise? Thanks!

Replies

• siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I don't have children, but you should look into meal prepping.
    On one day you cook meals for the entire week, some go in the fridge, some in the freezer, and then that's a lot less trouble everyday except for that one day you cook. Even if you don't do it for all meals a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I exercise primarily during my lunch hour and make sure I get to the gym to lift once during the week and once again on the weekend...if i can fit in more, gravy....

i brown bag it every single day...that generally includes my breakfast as well as lunch and my snacks for the day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First of all, weight loss comes from a caloric deficit. Any exercise is for health and to help the deficit. I'm a single mom and I make time. You get up earlier. Park further when going to the store, run stairs at lunch.
    As far as grabbing snacks, pre-log your days and stick to it. You've got this!
  • justmargie
    justmargie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Seems like you have a lot on your plate. I have a one year old and I take her to the track with me 4 days a week. while my nephew is having football practice, we walk around the track.
    Seems like the birthday parties come every weekend, and I just try and make it a point to say no. It's hard, but I fill up on all the "good" stuff and try my hardest to avoid to junk. Obviously I'm not perfect, I sometimes cave. I just determine whether its worth it to me or if I can justify with my calories.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do:
    1) I wake up an hour before my kids do to work out. I am a morning person and I have prioritized this as an hour for me, not for making lunches or doing laundry or cleaning.
    2) I meal prep for both myself and my kids meals. I make their dinners in advance so that is ready to go after we get home from work/school. I make myself a variation on the meal that I make them. For example if it is spaghetti with turkey meatballs. I have zoodles that I cook for myself (and yes, I have the zoodles already spiralized and ready to go in the pan when I get home from work.
    3) I bring my lunch. Kinda goes hand in hand with number 2 but I make lunches for myself and bring them to work. I also don't have time to go out for lunch but that is another issue in itself :expressionless:
  • plyadnov
    plyadnov Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do...I have 2 kids, one is in sports (so lots of late nights spent at practices):

Diet:I try to come home with about 800-1,000 calories remaining...that way I don't feel so guilty for eating mac and cheese and whatever else the whole family is having. I can control what I cook for work lunch/snacks...but evening time it's family friendly food. On weekends I try to eat healthy as much as I can, but bday parties, unexpected fast food lunches, etc. happen. Make sure you build up enough of a calorie deficit through the week to absorb these extra calories. Or if you ate more than you know you should have on Saturday, skip breakfast or lunch on Sunday.

Exercise: For the life of me, I can't work out at home...I have to go to the gym. So I go to the gym on my lunch break 5 times a week. Instead of working out 1+ hours 3 times a week, I do about 30-40 minutes of intense exercise 5 days. By intense I mean no chatting on the phone, no facebook, no distractions. I take 20-40 second brakes or superset my exercises. Also while at soccer practice, instead of sitting in my car or on the bench waiting for practice to be over I run/walk around the field.

Lifestyle: Overall I chose fitness as my lifestyle. My son and I started to go mountain biking this summer. I will kick the ball with both of my kids. I participate in physical playtime with the kids...not just the quiet activities and don't result in you sweating. At work I park on the lowest parking level to climb few extra flights of stairs. Sometimes to get my mind off work and get some air, I go for a 5-10 minute walk around the block. Lifestyle also includes food. I tried dieting, it worked...until we had our second child and I gained 30lbs and fell off my diet wagon. Now I just try to pick foods that I enjoy eating that don't bring in lots of calories. I've been at it for a year and still not tired of what I eat...it doesn't feel like a diet, and to me that's key.

Summary: Eat more healthy below your calorie maintenance, use every second of free time moving instead of sitting. 90% of your weight loss journey will come from what food you eat (diet), rest will be exercise.
  • MTmimi
    MTmimi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there- It isn't easy, and sometimes it is down right complicated, but I fit in exercise a few different ways by 1) starting early while I still have energy 2) biking to work 3) going to the gym or going for a brisk walk at lunch 4) taking my kids to the gym day care 5) playing sports, running or walking with my kids 6) "taking turns" with my husband (some nights are his turn to go out or exercise, and some nights are mine) 7) getting the older kids to take care of the younger ones- so you can take care of yourself.

I also teach my kids to swim, ski, skate, bicycle, etc so I can drag them along (they love it).

Due to large age gaps, I have been raising my kids for over 20 years and could have another 20 years to go- so I have developed a huge strategies. I guess you will figure out what works for you. Hope our advice helps. Feel free to add me as a friend.

- Mimi
  • dbsav
    dbsav Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Mimi. This is really helpful. -Dave
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    amillenium wrote: »
    Here is what I do:
    1) I wake up an hour before my kids do to work out. I am a morning person and I have prioritized this as an hour for me, not for making lunches or doing laundry or cleaning.
    2) I meal prep for both myself and my kids meals. I make their dinners in advance so that is ready to go after we get home from work/school. I make myself a variation on the meal that I make them. For example if it is spaghetti with turkey meatballs. I have zoodles that I cook for myself (and yes, I have the zoodles already spiralized and ready to go in the pan when I get home from work.
    3) I bring my lunch. Kinda goes hand in hand with number 2 but I make lunches for myself and bring them to work. I also don't have time to go out for lunch but that is another issue in itself :expressionless:

This is what I do. I have 3 young boys, and both my husband and I work full time. All of mine are in sports, so every night (except fridays) we are running someone somewhere....some days dividing and conquering.

You definitely have your hands full - I hope you can find something that works for you!

• dbsav
    dbsav Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow! Love and appreciate all of your great advice. Very helpful!! -Dave