Burning shins when jogging / running...

Options
I don't mind jogging / running, but after a period of time my shins start to burn. Am I not running right? Do I need to do some special stretches? I run heal to toe not on the front part of my foot. Does this matter? Thanks to all reading this and any suggestions.

Trent

Replies

• nighthawk327
    Options
    Wondering the same thing myself!
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It could be your shoes, they might not be the right fit for you. You should have your gait checked and be properly fitted. I had exactly the same problem when i started and the it was solved instantly once i had the right shoes :)
  • chezkie
    chezkie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints to me...google it and see what you think. I had it when I was younger and it was so painful...there are some exercises you can do to help, but try holding off on the running for a couple of days if possible.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You may do what I do, which is that I lift my toes with every single step. Wheever I up my mileage (running or walking), my shins get sore for a bit.

Not many people do this 'toe lift' thing, but if you have a muscle on the front of your shins, you might do it too. More rest helps. Try as I might, I've never been able to alter this about my stride--I still raise the toes every time I pick up my foot!

If you have a sharp. localized pain, however, that's more likely to be shin splints or even a stress fracture. Don't mess around with that--see a doctor.
  • ms_debbieg
    ms_debbieg Posts: 34
    Options
    Sounds like you have shin splints - ICE, STRETCH, maybe walk for awhile until they feel better.
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options
    I have the same issue. I was reading an article the other day that said to drink Whey Protein before workouts...haven't tried it yet but I'll let you know when I do if it helps!
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    They're shin splints. How old are your sneakers? Are they running or crosstraining sneakers? What happens is that the muscles that attach to the front of your shin also attach under the arch of your foot. If you have high arches or there isn't enough support in your sneakers, the impact of you running pushes the arch down. This causes strain on the opposite insertion of the muscle on your shin. Icing your shin and stretching your foot can help some. You need to look into getting some better support for your arches. Don't feel bad, it's very common. I get them too. I just haven't sucked it up and bought new sneakers yet.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Shin splints.. Must stretch the front side of the legs before running or walking at a fast pace. google runner's stretch and see some of the stretches recommended before you run...
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    Options
    1) The natural method of running that we have evolved over many years of evolution is to run almost expressly on our toes with very little to no heel strike.

2) What you are mentioning sounds an awful lot like Shin Splints. There are a couple reasons for getting this, but allow me to explain what they are first. Shin Splints are, in essence, minor hairline fractures in your shin bones. The cause of this is shock running up your ankle and through your shins. You may also realize that you have minor knee pain, lower back pain, pain centered between your shoulders and pain in the base of your neck... After your shin pain goes away. This is all caused by running on your heels.

3) Many people run heel to toe because they try to stretch their leg out as far as possible to get a longer stride and make running 'easier' on their body. Although you learn to cover more ground with less overall effort, you cause more damage to your body for the aforementioned reasons in #2...

I can't tell you what you should do beyond seeing a doctor. Doctors are the subject matter experts when it comes to bodily pain and treatments. However, I can tell you to do a google search on "Humans running antelope to death" and also to look up Vibram FiveFingers. Don't dismiss the shoes until you give their site a good look through; read the FAQ and the links to medical studies. They may not be for you. But I can tell you they pretty much cured almost every problem I've ever had with running aside from one. I always want to be faster than my last time!
  • m5johnson
    m5johnson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am new to jogging and experience similar discomfort.
    It begins half way into my route but the pain is most intense if I transition from jogging to walking. Walking for a few minutes eventually relieves the pain and I can continue my jog.

The pain I experience does not linger at all after my jog the way shin splints seem to do.

I read that a longer stride, the wrong shoes, and being overweight can contribute to this sort of thing.
    I shortened my stride which seems to help me go further before the pain sets in. A shorter stride also allows me to focus on planting my foot towards the middle instead of heal first which is said to decrease the whiplash effect that occurs between the foot and the muscle on the shin.

I'm in the market for some new shoes. Does anyone have any suggestions about a good (inexpensive) jogging shoe for beginners?
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had the same exact problem! I just started jogging last week. I figured out that I was running all wrong. Here is the link to the youtube video that helped me. I went from burning, agonizing shin pain to absolutely no pain at all a few hours later (after I found the video). Hope it helps! Oh, also, make sure if your on a treadmill that you have it at least on 1%-2% incline. You'll hardly notice and it will also help alot. Here's the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo&feature=related
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm a triathlete and runner I address this in my blog.
    http://competingiswinning.blogspot.com/p/distance_09.html