Whole 30 program

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    For those who have read the book, what do they say is the problem with legumes?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Well, happily it's on my Kindle, so it's easy to refresh my memory! They say they are similar to grains, and that we are eating the seeds, so they have lots of carbs as compared to the amount of protein. Then they go into a thing about how they aren't anti carb and legumes are less likely to be overconsumed than some other carbs, but if you have been overconsuming other carbs your hormones might be out of whack and continuing to consume lots of carbs--even from legumes--will prolong the hormonal issue.

More significantly (I guess), they say they have lots of phytate so like whole grains they aren't really nutrient dense even though we think they are. While they can be okay if prepared properly (fermented and such) the need to do this suggests they aren't optimal vs. the other foods that are easily available these days (veggies and meat, I guess).

They also claim they are hard to digest and may feed the "bad bacteria" in your gut. This is argued in part based on them being FODMAPs, but of course many foods are that are not prohibited.

There is then a separate argument about soybeans specifically.

On the "phytate" thing: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-phytates-phytic-acid and http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400758/Are-Phytates-Bad-or-Good.html (among other sources). And even from one (more sensible) paleo source: http://chriskresser.com/are-legumes-paleo/

Dr. Weil also thinks legumes are "anti-inflammatory," as well as healthy: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03206/Cooking-With-Legumes.html
  • victori813
    victori813 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Big advocate of whole 30 program! Starting round 3 on Monday. Please add me if you're also doing it/support it
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law was in town last weekend and doing Whole30. It sounds like unnecessary misery if you ask me.

Interesting to read about any weight lost coming roaring back once eating habits return to normal.

• kikip38
    kikip38 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    victori813 wrote: »
    Big advocate of whole 30 program! Starting round 3 on Monday. Please add me if you're also doing it/support it

I'm starting tomorrow, and pretty excited. I gotta say, I'm disappointed to see so much vitriol surrounding an elimination "diet".
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    kikip38 wrote: »

I'm starting tomorrow, and pretty excited. I gotta say, I'm disappointed to see so much vitriol surrounding an elimination "diet".

So people not enamored of Whole30 are spouting vitriol? Wow.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

It's just nice to finally realize that you don't have to go on some restrictive, unsustainable "diet" plan to lose weight. It's nice and helpful to let others know that it is not necessary to follow some author's arbitrary rules to lose weight. Once you realize that there are no "bad" foods, and you can enjoy what you like in moderation within a calorie deficit, it feels good to spread that information to others who may not have realized it yet.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It's not vitriol, it's just people wondering what's wrong with perfectly healthy foods like lentils and such.

It's the same issue I take with Paleo.

I have absolutely nothing against people wanting to take a nutritious approach towards eating. I love plenty of nutrient-dense foods myself and the bulk of my diet consists of them.

It's the capricious picking and choosing based on what amounts to psuedo-science of what is and is not acceptable to eat among them.

Lentils are good food. So are potatoes.

I think I'm going to make some lentil stew later this week using them both. Or maybe lentil shepherd's pie.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    It's not vitriol, it's just people wondering what's wrong with perfectly healthy foods like lentils and such.

I have absolutely nothing against people wanting to take a nutritious approach towards eating. I love plenty of nutrient-dense foods myself and the bulk of my diet consists of them.

It's the capricious picking and choosing based on what amounts to psuedo-science of what is and is not acceptable to eat among them.

I think I'm going to make some lentil stew later this week using them both. Or maybe lentil shepherd's pie.

Not to derail, but can I have that recipe?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Which one?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Which one?

Shepherds pie :)
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Which one?

Shepherds pie :)

me too!!!!!
  • kikip38
    Options

Things aren't always conveyed in an online forum as they are intended. I love lentils, I'm just not eating them for the duration of the whole30. After I determine what food or foods my body is having issue with, I'll incorporate back the ones that I can. Im trying this because I've been eating clean, and at a deficit of about 500 calories a day, for the last year. I've run 3 half marathons, and crossfit 5x a week. I'm not losing weight. I suffer from chronic tendinitis (feet, elbows, you name it). I'm not trying to "reset" my body, I just need to figure out what's wrong. My thyroid has been tested-a-ok. Maybe I have a gluten intolerance. Maybe my body doesn't like dairy. Who knows? I'm willing to give it a shot, to see if anything improves. There have been countless blogs about people's tendinitis disappearing; for that alone, it is worth giving up a few things for a few weeks.

• kikip38
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

No. I get that people are all different. It just seems like a whole lot of disdain (is that a better choice?) for an eating plan. A lot of people haven't tried it, haven't researched, etc. I was just surprised. It's not really "wow" worthy. Haha. Maybe I will decide the program sucks. I don't know yet, because I haven't tried it (3 days in, now). I'm new to my fitness pal, and was just searching for support/info. Kind of regretting it now.
  • kikip38
    Options

It's just nice to finally realize that you don't have to go on some restrictive, unsustainable "diet" plan to lose weight. It's nice and helpful to let others know that it is not necessary to follow some author's arbitrary rules to lose weight. Once you realize that there are no "bad" foods, and you can enjoy what you like in moderation within a calorie deficit, it feels good to spread that information to others who may not have realized it yet.

Hi there! My post wasn't at all meant to say everyone who posted with a contrary opinion was being mean. I was just surprised at the ones that were (there really are quite a few throughout mfp).
  • vivmom2014
    Options

No. I get that people are all different. It just seems like a whole lot of disdain (is that a better choice?) for an eating plan. A lot of people haven't tried it, haven't researched, etc. I was just surprised. It's not really "wow" worthy. Haha. Maybe I will decide the program sucks. I don't know yet, because I haven't tried it (3 days in, now). I'm new to my fitness pal, and was just searching for support/info. Kind of regretting it now.

Don't regret it. Information is always good.

And, yes, I agree that 'disdain' is a more accurate word here. Doesn't mean disapproval, because people are free to eat however they wish. I had just spent time with my sister-in-law who was doing Whole30 and I didn't understand why she was being so restrictive w/o any doctor's orders. She kept insisting it was to get sugar out of her life. I don't see any of it as sustainable -- and I guess it only lasts 30 days -- so my disdain arises from the fact that once one returns to old eating habits, the weight comes back. Because make no mistake: the weight comes back.

I hope you're successful in locating your possible food allergies.

• kikip38
    Options

Don't regret it. Information is always good.

And, yes, I agree that 'disdain' is a more accurate word here. Doesn't mean disapproval, because people are free to eat however they wish. I had just spent time with my sister-in-law who was doing Whole30 and I didn't understand why she was being so restrictive w/o any doctor's orders. She kept insisting it was to get sugar out of her life. I don't see any of it as sustainable -- and I guess it only lasts 30 days -- so my disdain arises from the fact that once one returns to old eating habits, the weight comes back. Because make no mistake: the weight comes back.

I hope you're successful in locating your possible food allergies.

Of course...that's my concern, as well. Yes, I hope to figure out the issue(s), but I'm not too keen on losing weight, only to gain it back. I suppose that if I determine the culprit, I wouldn't be adding it back in, and maybe I can avoid that unfortunate event.

• Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I cook a lot of whole30 meals for my family. It seems like a very healthy and clean program. I just don't understand why the program doesn't allow lentils as I include them in quite a bit of my meal plans for their fantastic nutritional value.
  • lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make it a general rule not to follow any diet fad. No one ever got thin and stayed that way off of a fad.