Bought a food scale, weighing sauces and dressing?

Options
I have a question how do you typically weigh sauces as in idk ketchup or ranch dressing? Do you put it in a container while weighing? Because wouldn't that add a little to the scale? May be a dumb question but i wanna be sure I'm doing this right!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    For liquids, I use teaspoons and tablespoons, or cups.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you want to weigh it, what's probably a good idea if it has chunky bits: Put a container on the scale, tare (set to zero) then add the sauce. Then you have the actual weight of the sauce.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    If you want to weigh it, what's probably a good idea if it has chunky bits: Put a container on the scale, tare (set to zero) then add the sauce. Then you have the actual weight of the sauce.

^^^ This
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I weigh everything, because if I use teaspoons or whatever, some always stays in the spoon and it's just incorrect anyway.

So I put my plate on the scale, turn it on (it will be on 0 then), then add the dressing/sauce.
  • healthkickkath1
    healthkickkath1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can put the dressing container on the scale ,tare(zero) it , then take out your portion, then you are left with the amount you took out in negative numbers
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Another way to weigh, is to put the whole container or bottle on the scale, zero the scale with the container on the scale, pour the sauce or dressing on your food, put the container back on the scale. The amount shown as a negative number is the amount you are eating. This works with other things, like peanut butter, oils, etc.
  • fawlty70
    fawlty70 Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    Another way to weigh, is to put the whole container or bottle on the scale, zero the scale with the container on the scale, pour the sauce or dressing on your food, put the container back on the scale. The amount shown as a negative number is the amount you are eating. This works with other things, like peanut butter, oils, etc.

Both of those are what I do too.

I always prefer weight whenever I can, rather than volume. A lot of the stuff stays in the measuring cups otherwise...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Weighing only works if your sauce/dressing is in g or oz.
    Most of my liquid sauces and dressings are in ml. I use a liquid callibrated measuring spoon.

You could find a ml to g converter to weigh your specific item.

Water is a 1:1 g/ml ratio. Anything denser would have its own ratio.

FYI: ice cream is 1.9g:1ml.

Canadian ice cream comes in ml so I did the math, so much easier to weigh a serving of that!

Cheers, h.
  • exoticpumpkin
    exoticpumpkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just put my plate on the scale and zero it. Then add the sauce. Like ketchup to a burger or dressing on the salad. Super easy and nothing gets left on the spoon. If I use a spoon, like for peanut butter I drop the PB onto a plate so I get the right grams.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I keep a few little prep bowls handy for just that. You can find them at a cooking store or restaurant supply. I weigh sauces because I can't be trusted around the tartar sauce! Hahaha
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh on a bowl on the scale and by setting zero.
  • MVG821
    MVG821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For things like ketchup I would put the ketchup bottle on the scale and weigh that first and as I pour it on my food I would weigh the bottle again and use the difference in weight to track it. Saves me from having to wash an extra dish