Weighing your self

Options
When is the best time to weigh yourself to get your most accurate weight?

Replies

• 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    first thing in the morning in most cases
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking. Wear only undies or nothing and put the same scale in the same spot on the floor. Be sure to calibrate it first if necessary. This will give you your lowest weight of the day and be most consistent.

Your body weight fluctuates throughout the day based on what you eat, drink, and eliminate. Weight also fluctuates from one day to the next, so you will NOT get the same weight everyday. Some days you will gain, some you will lose, nothing to worry about. I just log each new low and patiently wait for the next one.
  • margauxmilchen
    margauxmilchen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I through out my scale. I was a different rate in every room and in various places in the room. It was very discouraging. I now weigh in at the nutritionists' office weekly.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think if you want an accurate idea of your weightloss nothing beats a daily weigh in and a trending graph. This won't necessarily give you an accurate measure of your exact current weight, but it will definitely give you a good measure of how much you are losing or gaining over time. And the trajectory of your weight is far more important than the absolute value, at least until you are at your weight goal.

See my philosophy post for more on this.

Osric
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning - always on a Friday :]
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning on Mondays and Thursday's. After using the toilet before breakfast works best for me!
  • coachRichie
    coachRichie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes first thing in the morning for me as well and I am now going to just weigh in once a week.. let's not get too obsessed with the scale..
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Right now because I lose 2 pounds per week I weigh everyday first thing in the morning. But as I lose weight and it gets down to 1 pound per week I will go to only once a week.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do not weigh yourself in every room and do not keep switching spots. One room. One spot. You are going for consistency & reliability.
  • jph3
    jph3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight works for a general idea of your current state of fitness. Add pics and waist measurements for a more accurate view of your progress.
  • BroscienceTheory
    BroscienceTheory Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The morning since you're dehydrated and empty in the stomach or at a particular time and stick with it. And do it every few days. I don't think people should do it everyday, since your weight fluctuates day to day.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Yeah, first thing, after your body has "fasted" all night, will give you your lowest weight of the day. Get up, go to the bathroom, get nekkid, and go for it. A reminder: if your scale digital, and is moved at all, reset ZERO on it, to keep it accurate. Usually this will consist of tapping it down and then waiting for it to run through a cycle and turn off. Then take your weight.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning. I was doing on Sunday for a while, now it's when I remember to! And it doesn't matter which scale you use, as long as it's the same scale in the same place. If you weigh each week with your nutritionist, that's fine. Just pick a time of day, a day of week, and the scale you're going to use and keep with it.
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself of Wednesdays and in the morning. It's more accurate and take measurements. I would do measurements every 6 weeks or so. Especially if you're gaining muscle but not losing the pounds yet.