What has logging taught you?

Options
I have been on this journey for almost 80 days and lost 22.8 lbs. Several years ago I did WW points and lost about the same amount just a little slower. The whole points thing frustrated me and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to fit in as much junk food as I could within my points. I have also tried MFP a few times in the past but never managed to log more than a week or two before throwing in the towel.

I have had an extremely stressful past 3 years that involved the deaths of multiple family members, caring for aged/sick inlaws, moving, leaving my job and hitting the big 5-0. I packed on several more pounds and found myself hurting a lot. I do have plantar fasciitis so walking across the room makes me look like I'm 80 anyway, but my back, hips, knees etc also hurt. I watched my overweight, extremely sedentary MIL basically become confined to her recliner and I'm NOT ready for that. The fact that I'm now living in her house is psyching me out a little too LOL. I have the added motivation of an upcoming cruise WOOHOO. I knew that logging was the key and that I need to be HONEST with myself and my log. I think in the past I had the mentality that if I didn't log it, it didn't happen.

So what have I learned?

1) I now know why I'm fat. I never realized how much stuff I was eating that wasn't even registering in my brain. I quick stop at McD's could easily hit 800-1000 calories. That big ole honkin' spoon of peanut butter I ate while looking thru the cabinet for something to eat - was that seriously 300? The list goes on.

2) Cravings won't kill me! Don't get me wrong, I don't deprive myself of anything but I've learned that I really can be satisfied with half a candy bar. I've also learned that when I have a craving such as Chinese buffet or Mexican, that by trying to plan ahead and prelog, I either have better control when I do go or I realize how calorie laden my favorites are and decide its not worth it. Bye bye cravings

3) My food scale affects my bathroom scale. aka I learned that I'm really bad at judging portions. I weight everything now and my food scale has a prominent place on my counter. Nothing goes in my mouth that hasn't first been on my scale and duly logged.

Well, that's just a few of the things that logging has taught me. Thank you for reading and I would love to hear your expressions. Logging is tough and there are many days that I want to give up on that aspect of it but I know that without that accountability, I would never meet my goals.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Logging has taught me that I was eating more than I thought :)
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    What a serving size really looks like. Teensy little things!

That I can pack bodyfat on not only easier and usually more enjoyably than I can shed it, but three to four times faster, too.

How few calories exercise really burns, especially when you shed most of your natural fat suit.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Some foods are much higher in calories than I thought. Butter and dried cherries were big surprises. McDonald's French fries - Holy God In Heaven.

Some foods are way less than I'd imagined they could be. The Ball Park Fat-Free Smoked Turkey hot dogs are only 40 or 45 calories for each dog. Veggies are so low in calories!!

I frequently have a drop in weight after I have a big dinner with potatoes. I don't get that. At all. But it happens.

Sleep is very important. I lose a lot more when I'm getting enough sleep. If I wake up too early, I know I won't see a drop on the scale.

I'm more hungry before a period and WANT CARBS (which I always knew), but I'm way less hungry after and want meat.

New exercise will make me gain a couple pounds.

Lots of little meals keep me more satisfied than a couple big ones.

I wasn't getting the vitamins and minerals I need. Iron and potassium, especially, are dietary issues I work on.

I feel better when I drink water instead of pop.

I should've gained more weight than I did. Why didn't I gain more? I don't know.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    That I consume way too much sugar for someone who really doesn't eat sweets...all from beverages and fruit....and that it takes a lot of minutes to workoff those beverages!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    that i thoughtlessly eat and that is a very bad habit for me...i need to be aware of what and when I am eating.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I don't really need that much food as I was eating - now I weigh it first and just eat what I had planned
    I'm only on day 27 but it helps me sleep and feels really good to not be uncomfortably full all the time, and I love how it feels to wake up on empty
    Alcohol has way too many calories for the amount of it I want to drink (and will drink no matter my good intentions to just have 1-2) so that's just had to go for weight loss
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest and most substantial thing that I learned is that if you mess up and binge on a snack or a meal that doesn't mean the whole day is lost so you should just finish it out bad. Instead just bounce back and try to finish the rest of the day out strong - often you'll find that you still can meet your goals or be close to them but either way its better than just saying "screw it".
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Serving sizes - they're a thing (and they're not how much you can fit on the plate or in the bowl).
    LOOK at the nutritional values of the stuff you're going to eat (seriously had no idea that one tbsp of mayo was 100 calories!!! ouch!!).
    To lose weight you have to decide what you value most. Do you want one piece of cake, or two healthy meals?
    Don't drink your calories.
  • vapeanut28
    vapeanut28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great observations - I agree with everything you guys have said.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've learned that while I thought I was healthy I was kidding myself. I ate way too much food and somehow I was surprised I was putting on weight.

I eat out a lot and while I love it it costs serious calories. I've learned how to "work for it" and have upped the amount of workouts I do.

Alcohol is empty calories. This is something I've always been aware of but I had no idea just how many of my calories I drank. I'm still quite bad here and have been working on gradually drinking smarter.

I eat way less sugar than I thought I did. My diet is fairly well balanced. (I just eat too much of everything).

Planning ahead - precooked lunches, batch cooking, logging my recipes on MFP is helping me make better choices.
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    That I eat too many treats.
    628462 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That I drink too much and I eat too much! Higher in fat than I thought. But on the upside I am more active than I thought! (Activity tracker)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    What I learned is its a wonder I don't weigh 600 lbs and have my own TLC show. Now I weigh everything. I over ate by 1000 calories at my daughters birthday party this week and I was practicing restraint!!!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Counting calories just made me realize how high in calories a lot of things really are. MFP was an eye opener.