College Students

Options
CallieRoseWalsh
CallieRoseWalsh Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Any tips and tricks for a college kid? I live on campus and the only food options are fast food, WHICH ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Do you have a frig and way to cook?
  • CallieRoseWalsh
    Options
    I have a mini fridge, but no stove or oven.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to the cafeteria?
  • CallieRoseWalsh
    Options
    We don't have a cafeteria, it's all just fast food.
  • pembr0ke
    pembr0ke Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try to eat as much fruit and salad as you can. Stay away from deep-fried food, and if it has to be fast food, go Asian; lots of rice,vegetables and lean meat. I'm a Catering Manager in Cambridge UK so I have plenty of practice advising students on good nutrition; good luck!
  • feelnopain12
    feelnopain12 Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Veggies, Cooked chicken breast, Tuna, Microwave Sweet potatoes, Cus cus premade (just add boiling water), Lean beef sliced...just all salty products so water retention could be high :expressionless: but still healthier than fast food i guess. Oats almonds add boiling water with a sliced banana and boom.
  • RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you can, get a microwave. Then you can make all kinds of things. Oatmeal, veggies, and even eggs.
  • CallieRoseWalsh
    Options
    Thanks y'all!
  • amb3rj0y
    amb3rj0y Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Having a rice cooker has helped me a lot! Since you do not have a oven I would suggest getting a slow cooker to cook your meats in, then leave it in the fridge. Also having a slow cooker gives you endless possibility for other meals. During the week when I want to have rice (which is almost every night) I will put my leftover meat and any veggies/beans to steam in the rice cooker, along with the rice. Heats everything up very nicely. Most rice cookers have a separate tray above the rice to steam food in. Also you can steam your food without having to cook rice, if you want too.

You can put raw meat in the rice cooker, but i find preparing it in a larger batch and reheating with the steam to be more helpful. Uncooked meat goes bad very fast in a refrigerator and it needs more time to steam, than the rice needs to cook.