Am I eating too few calories?

Options
Hi. I have been doing my diet and exercise for 1 month now. I started on September 1, 2015 at 148.8 lbs and I am now at 143 at 5'1". I keep reading online that I should be eating 1,200 calories a day and I eat about 700-800 calories a day but I'm not hungry after I eat. My meals are very filling and I eat very healthy. I would think that everybody's calorie intake would be different based on their body. I just want to make sure that I'm not harming my body in any way. It's already been a month and I feel great. I don't feel sluggish or weak from lack of food. It's been great!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are eating too few calories.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This will catch up to you. You need to eat at least 1200 calories because your nutrition will lacking, things like hair loss and muscle wasting. He who eats the most and still loses is the winner.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My guess then is that you're eating more calories than you think (very easy to do if you aren't weighing all foods on a digital scale). Because although everyone is different as you say, everyone is the same in that our bodies need more than 700 calories. If you were actually eating at that level, you'd start to experience the awful effects of it soon. Fatigue, hair loss, organ damage, etc.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You are eating far too little.

I'm 5'2 and 126 lbs - 1200 is too little for me. I eat around 1500 calories per day and I still lose weight. I can't even imagine how miserable I would be on 700-800 - it's just totally not necessary. Regardless of being hungry or not, your body needs more than this. Are you weighing all your portion sizes and logging accurately and still coming up with only 700-800?

• lovepink71915
    lovepink71915 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I'm 5'2 and 126 lbs - 1200 is too little for me. I eat around 1500 calories per day and I still lose weight. I can't even imagine how miserable I would be on 700-800 - it's just totally not necessary. Regardless of being hungry or not, your body needs more than this. Are you weighing all your portion sizes and logging accurately and still coming up with only 700-800?

Yes, I make sure to weigh and measure all of my foods. I eat 3 meals a day. Maybe I should eat snacks in between my meals..? I just don't understand the need to continue eating if I'm not hungry. When your body says your full, then you stop eating.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

Yes, I make sure to weigh and measure all of my foods. I eat 3 meals a day. Maybe I should eat snacks in between my meals..? I just don't understand the need to continue eating if I'm not hungry. When your body says your full, then you stop eating.

I understand what you're saying completely :)
    But do, do, do make sure you are eating at least 1200. It's only a few hundred more so yes, incorporate some snacks (even a few pieces of fruit) and see if you can bulk out your meals with extra vegetables to 'up' the amount. I know you may seem content eating it but your body needs the fuel - you may feel fine but your organs need those calories to keep doing what they do!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Add peanut butter, avocado or even full fat dairy.
  • lovepink71915
    lovepink71915 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I understand what you're saying completely :)
    But do, do, do make sure you are eating at least 1200. It's only a few hundred more so yes, incorporate some snacks (even a few pieces of fruit) and see if you can bulk out your meals with extra vegetables to 'up' the amount. I know you may seem content eating it but your body needs the fuel - you may feel fine but your organs need those calories to keep doing what they do!

Thanks a lot!!