Cleaning as exercise!?

Options
2»

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning (or cooking) because I too think of it as part of my normal routine and I usually am not cleaning too vigorously. As a rule, I don't log anything as exercise unless it's actual exercise and I'm wearing my HRM so I know exactly how many calories I'm burning.

If I do happen to do something outside the normal weekly cleaning routine, I just know in the back of my head not to worry if I also go over my daily calories by 100-200 because I've likely used up the difference.
  • notapromqueen
    notapromqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I log it, but I don't actually "count" it. For example, if I have a goal set for 60 minutes of cardio on a specific day and I do two hours of cleaning, I'll log that I did two hours of light/moderate cleaning, but I also make sure I do my 60 minutes of cardio (walking, running, tredmill, etc.) too.
  • soniajc
    soniajc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's fine then log in all those cleaning and cooking hours.
    Watch that weight fall off.
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I would only count this as an exercise if your settings are set to sedentary
    :wink:

For me, my settings are set to sedentary because I have a desk job--I sit on my dupa for 8+hours a day. I didn't count the calorie burn because it's a normal just existing in my house activity. Had I been scrubbing my floors or doing really hard core cleaning where I break a sweat, it may have been different.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention this. One of my MFPals had logged a calorie burn through housecleaning. I had just gotten my new HRM and thought what the heck? I was about to start my housecleaning anyway. Here's what I posted:

"Well this is just weird. I turned on my HRM and did some ridiculously mild cleaning at home--really barely moving. I kept the HRM on for 01:25:01 and it says I burned 188 calories basically by just walking around my house a bit. No up and down the stairs or anything. Wow. Not bad."

I didn't log it but it was an interesting exercise. I wasn't scrubbing floors or doing anything heavy duty though so it was more like what my body was burning naturally by moving around my house.

That's VERY interesting. I've been looking into HRMs, but do they HAVE to be tied around your chest or are there some that you can wear just like a watch??? I don't know if I can handle walking around with something like that wrapped around me :ohwell:

The HRM with chest straps are the most accurate. I wore mine doing yoga yesterday - twisting, bending, all that -- and was very comfortable. It sounds binding and uncomfy, but it really isnt.

For me, I log cleaning if I do a good thorough one and break a sweat. Not just the day to day stuff.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I only count it if it's "the inlaws are visiting" type cleaning. They live 200 miles away, so we don't see them often. And MIL is allergic to cats, and we have seven. So it's MAJOR floor to ceiling, under and behind all the furniture, cleaning when they come to town. But I only log half of it.
  • MyaA
    MyaA Posts: 87
    Options
    my mum has an hrm that is only a watch...but i'm not sure how accurate it is...i have a polar hrm so it has a chest strap, but i swear, it's not confining...it's adjustable so you can set it comfortably - most of the time i don't even remember it is there.
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention this. One of my MFPals had logged a calorie burn through housecleaning. I had just gotten my new HRM and thought what the heck? I was about to start my housecleaning anyway. Here's what I posted:

"Well this is just weird. I turned on my HRM and did some ridiculously mild cleaning at home--really barely moving. I kept the HRM on for 01:25:01 and it says I burned 188 calories basically by just walking around my house a bit. No up and down the stairs or anything. Wow. Not bad."

I didn't log it but it was an interesting exercise. I wasn't scrubbing floors or doing anything heavy duty though so it was more like what my body was burning naturally by moving around my house.

That's VERY interesting. I've been looking into HRMs, but do they HAVE to be tied around your chest or are there some that you can wear just like a watch??? I don't know if I can handle walking around with something like that wrapped around me :ohwell:

The chest strap that's part of mine (Polar FT7) is so comfortable I can't feel it once it's on. In fact, I've had mine on since I got dressed this morning because I wanted to go walking at lunch and didn't want to forget to put it on ;-)
  • NenaM812
    NenaM812 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

The chest strap that's part of mine (Polar FT7) is so comfortable I can't feel it once it's on. In fact, I've had mine on since I got dressed this morning because I wanted to go walking at lunch and didn't want to forget to put it on ;-)

OH wow, I bet you burn a lot if you wear it all day. I'd like to wear one during one of my court days. Up and down three flights of stairs constantly, having to literally go running all over (in heels) whenever the judge snaps his fingers, I bet I'd burn a ton on those days lol.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    LOL...In TX & AZ everything would count cause it is so dang hot. :) Don't need to do anything to sweat. :)