Feeling odd (literally). Anyone else?

Options
AnnPT77
AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
I'm 59, active, female, lost a bit over 40 pounds since April.

This is not a *problem* for me, but I have to say, I feel odd . . . and I mean that quite literally.

When I wash my hands, I sometimes have a brief moment of surprise: They feel so *small* (and I didn't have super puffy hands in the first place).

And when I unthinkingly put a hand on my hip: Whoa! It grabs my attention. At first, I was surprised to feel some muscles moving around under my thumb, on my back. It used to be soft & squishy. Now I'm starting to feel some newly-uncovered muscle-like stuff with my fingers, around in front, too.

And that quad stretch where you grab your foot behind you? Wow - I can grab it pretty easily: Less thigh in my way. (No, sadly, not more flexible . . . .)

Does anyone else who's had some (modest) success have these unexpected "what the what?" moments of self-perception? If so, describe . . . .

Replies

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA yes I know of these things too. My hands are that way too, they have always been on the bony side so to notice that was odd.
    My spine and shoulders were probably the biggest shock, I thought it was my bra poking me while driving in the car and sitting in the office, nope it's that I have no padding there anymore.

The hips and pelvic area too, don't notice it so much standing but laying down those suckers just pop right out.
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I was lying down the other night and realized i could feel my hip bone! (I still have a lot to go but it was wierd)
    also, my shoes! my shoes are looser! I didn't think my feet were fat...
    I wear shirts that have tie that ties in the back and i realized the other day that it was poking into me wierd because i have less padding there now!
  • ForMe2No
    ForMe2No Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I interlock/cross my hands it feels funny I feel like they are so boney. And the quad stretch 6 months ago I couldn't do it. I couldn't grasp my leg because it was always so swollen. I'm really regulating my sodium intake now. My shoes also looser and I have wide feet. I had to get rid of some shoes because I can't keep them on my feet. My butt hurts when I sit on the floor to do sit ups and sometimes just sitting on my bed. My collar area feels slimmer. My sun glasses and my reading glasses feel like they take up my whole face. I started in April as well and I'm down 56lbs with 54 more to go to hit my first goal. I'm hoping my body adjust to these new feelings or I'm going to be very uncomfortable :-) BTW congrats everyone!
  • deescrafty
    deescrafty Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you all!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Yes, yesterday I was walking with a large bag on my should with a box in it and it kept hitting my hip bone. I never intended to actually be able to see them but they are here.

ForMe2No, I totally get the eye glasses and sunglasses. I think I had just bought 2 pair of glasses when I started this, now they are for private home use only and my sunglasses I donated.
  • FleaBailey
    FleaBailey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My fingers look longer!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    The strangest thing for me was when I noticed I could actually wrap myself around a towel properly
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Yep! I'm 38 pounds down and now it is hard to sleep on my side because my knee bones are against each other with less fat between them and it is not comfortable. Also, and this is strange, cheek bones. Oh my! There they are!!! Oh, and it is less comfortable to lie on my side with a bra on. Less fat around the rib cage means that I'm feeling more now.
  • ForMe2No
    ForMe2No Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The strangest thing for me was when I noticed I could actually wrap myself around a towel properly

ooh this one too!

• carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm a muscle squeezer and poker. I can feel them developing under the squish, and keep sliding my hands across my arms and shoulders...and tensing up then poking the muscles in my thighs.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    carlyp79 wrote: »
    I'm a muscle squeezer and poker. I can feel them developing under the squish, and keep sliding my hands across my arms and shoulders...and tensing up then poking the muscles in my thighs.

Hahaha this is totally me. I am also shamelessly having people feel my triceps and others. I know crazy!!!!!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yup, my wedding ring fell off. I feel like I'm in limbo. Some days I act and walk like a big girl, making room and excusing myself, and other days I feel ready to skip and jump like a spring fawn.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The later line from shoulder to shoulder, including collar bones, seems so much more angular and pronounced now. I'm looking more square in general.

...and I just noticed that I don't really feel any back fat rolls when I shift in bed like I used to... lol. That's weird.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    When I let my arms hang straight down now, my hands just hang there in space. Where are my thighs?!?? Oh, yeah: Gotta move ==> inward <==.

(And +1 to the muscle poking: I've had quads for some time now. I've been rowing, spinning & biking regularly for a dozen years. But now I can feel them -- poke, poke. And on the backswing in the boat, I can even *see* them. Also the glutes -- poke, poke (in private!). )
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Yup, my wedding ring fell off. I feel like I'm in limbo. Some days I act and walk like a big girl, making room and excusing myself, and other days I feel ready to skip and jump like a spring fawn.

Love this!

I know what you're talking about with the "making room", too - it's different navigating around people & things now, especially in narrow spaces. Sometimes I handle it (semi-) gracefully, sometimes not. I can look pretty silly getting my imaginary (former) girth out of the way!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Oh I definitely feel the oddness as well! A couple weeks ago I was laying on my stomach, and it felt like something was poking me, causing me pain. I was sure I was laying on something. I reached down to remove it, and realize it's my ribs. I'm laying on my ribs and they hurt because I no longer have as much padding there.

Then it scared me because I still have a good 35 pounds to lose until I reach my goal, and I'm afraid of what other bones might pop out and hurt me!

I totally relate to making room for myself, as well! And I recently noticed how bony my wrists are.
  • Madgainsbrah
    Madgainsbrah Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate. I didn't really notice it at first until my wedding ring fell off. Then it started to become apparent when I went to bed and couldn't get comfortable. All I feel are my hip bones and it is a strange, uncomfortable and lovely feeling.

I still have about 50 pounds to lose and I can't imagine what else is going to become uncomfortable. I'm already freezing all the time, what could be next?
  • Doublemeasure
    Doublemeasure Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    In the old days, I could see my dome (stomach) above my rib cage! It is now gone!

Finding clothes I bought and said I will get in that one day! And finding they are now too big! Left them in the cupboard too long!

I still have 27 kilos to go! Having just lost 33! :-)
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Haha!!! I love this! I have lost 40 lbs and I too find myself discovering things. Like the bottom of my sternum. I don' think I ever knew it "existed". I actually got quite scared when I felt the bump so I went to the doctor and he laughed and said it was perfectly normal. LOL! it's weird to see the lining of my jaw, how easily I can button my pants, how I am no longer panting after 2 minutes on the elliptical. It is quite odd when you are used to being a certain way and then things start to change for the better. Lots of discoveries. Keep up the great job lady. :smile:
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    deniseg31 wrote: »
    Haha!!! I love this! I have lost 40 lbs and I too find myself discovering things. Like the bottom of my sternum. I don' think I ever knew it "existed". I actually got quite scared when I felt the bump so I went to the doctor and he laughed and said it was perfectly normal. LOL!

I had that exact reaction (well, without the doctor - compulsive Google-er, I figured it out myself) to the sternum (xiphoid process). Who knew!?!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!