Evening Eating-

Options
I'm realizing my biggest downfall is evening time- DH & I come home and veg out in front of the TV after a long hard day and honestly the thought of doing ANYTHING just makes me tired...
yet...this is where I eat a lot too. How can I break the habit of eating too much at night??
Any suggestions?

Thanks!:smooched:

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm realizing my biggest downfall is evening time- DH & I come home and veg out in front of the TV after a long hard day and honestly the thought of doing ANYTHING just makes me tired...
    yet...this is where I eat a lot too. How can I break the habit of eating too much at night??
    Any suggestions?

Thanks!:smooched:
  • bstarm
    bstarm Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't know...I struggle with that too. I work a full-time job and twice a week I work part-time at Staples (leaving straight from my job) until close.. Meaning I get home at 10:00ish and I'm starving! So I grab "junk" food...I've been looking for suggestions as to what to eat. I did buy some of those 100 Calorie snacks..I just started Sunday so I don't know how long I can last....I've heard Special-K cereal can be a good snack food?
  • JennaH
    JennaH Posts: 59
    Options
    I know how it is. I work two jobs equaling about 55 hrs a week. I never want to cook anything, so I cook healthy things on the weekend and save them for the week. I also use those steam veggies that you just throw the package in the microwave for 5 minutes and they're done.

I make some hot tea and sip on it at night. Helps me relax and calms cravings. I know you said you don't want to do anything, but I also started crocheting in the evening to give me something to do while I watch TV (instead of eat).

When you just wanna grab some junk food, try a bag of baby carrots instead. They are naturally sweet, nice and crunchy, nothing to prepare, and they are good for you. A lot of pre packaged snacks just make me hungrier.
  • dogwdots
    dogwdots Posts: 146
    Options
    I started knitting to keep my hands busy and I don't want any food getting on my projects.
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    With a busy schedule and roaming hands in the fridge/pantry I think its best to:

Prepare healthy snacks that you can grab and go.

The obvious are veggies like mini carrots, celery, broccoli etc. But I get BORED with those so...

I like to make a variety of kabobs that I can grab and go... depending on my mood. and what I am hungry for. Here are a couple of examples:

I put melon, procciutto (very small amount a half of a thin slice per skewer)- fresh mozzarella (again small amount, I buy the fresh mini balls in the deli section and cut them into quarters -using 1 ball per skewer) and fresh basil. Delicious and sinfully good. :bigsmile:

Another favorite is sliced mango dusted with chile powder, grilled chicken, roasted poblano peppers all served on a stick.

For a quick and easy spread on english muffins or piece of warm bread - I purree some frozen spring peas (bring water to an almost boil, drop them in for a minute or two and then remove and drain before putting in the processor) lemon, fresh mint, a tiny bit of olive oil. Serve warm or cold. Top with parmasean cheese.

Bean salad: great to top on fresh raw spinach, put in a wrap, scramble with eggs, or just eat as is...
    I tend to make a very large batch of this because I have a room mate who happens to love this.

White beans, black beans, red beans and 1 can of corn. Fresh chopped cilantro. A red bell pepper diced. A yellow bell pepper (if they arent too expensive), Purple onion, diced. 1 jalapeno (seeded and remove rib if you dont like spicy or you can substitute a poblano pepper) and one jar of your favorite salsa. Personally, I like the salsa verde by la victoria in the ethnic food section of your grocery story or any of the Fontena - especially their roasted tomatillo.

Try to plan your grocery store trips and purchase things for the week that you can make into other meals and pre-prepare most of them by doing all of your chopping etc - then when you get home from a long day - it wont seem like such a task to cook.

Good luck to you. If you need anymore ideas, let me know. I hope this gets you started.
  • dogwdots
    Options
    Any ideas for a sweet tooth craving?
  • gabgottaloose
    Options
    hey! healthychoice fudge bars are awesome theyre 100 cals and they have fiber and protien! Kashi granola bars are pretty good also. Fiber1 chocolate chip bars are great for a sweet tooth cravingg theyre healthy and yummmy. Also vitatops are good you can get them at stop and shop theyre healthy muffins and brownies that taste great and are 100 cals!! =] Hope I helped!
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    Any ideas for a sweet tooth craving?

Im not one for sweets but - I recommend making or getting a store prepared angel food cake. I melt lemon sorbet throw in a little chopped mint and serve with fresh berries.

Any sorbet in the grocery store is good and low in calories with no fat. I like to cut oranges or lemons in half - juice them (just to have on hand) scoop out the remaining "stuff inside" and then put a scoop of sorbet in and freeze. They look very fancy and taste good. Also helps you maintain the right portion vs. sitting in front of the tube with a pint of sorbet.

You can also make carmel covered apples (quick and easy if you get the caramel sheets (I think they are called wrapples) usually near the apples in the produce section.

Chocolate covered bananas or strawberries.

Hope that helps.
  • bstarm
    bstarm Posts: 14
    Options
    :smile: I eat the Kraft Handi-Snacks butterscotch pudding cups - they are 80 calories, but it usuallys curbs it....chewing gum helps too
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    FUDGESCICLES no sugar added fudge pops only 40 calories per pop, although serving size is for 2 pops, i usually only eat one. Gives me a sweet dessert for very low calories.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I can't stress enough how GOOOOOOOOD ultra lite Cool Whip is when you put it in the Freezer...its almost like a mousse ice cream. *drools*

And for me...if i need a little something extra, you can use those swiss hot choc. packets and poor a little over it and its like you have made yourself a little sundae.
  • dogwdots
    Options
    Great ideas - I am making note of them. thanks everyone!
  • nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Ok....you're all going to think I'm crazy...BUT...when I get a craving at night, I brush my teeth!!
    I cannot stand the taste of anything after I brush them..YUCK

Hey...whatever works right???:laugh:
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Goochinator when I started eating more fruit and fresh veggies I was a lot less hungry than I was before. Try eating less processed foods, eat more fiber, drink your water all of those things have helped me a great deal with getting over the urge to mindlessly eat anything. I also would not eat anything that I had not planned for it really helped me in the beginning of my weight loss.

bstarm try taking a cooler full of good food with you, carrot sticks, yogurt, instant oatmeal is great. Raisins and nuts, fruit etc.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I kill the sweet tooth with sugar free jello- pudding with sugar free whipped cream or grab a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich.
  • shana1875
    Options
    I can't stress enough how GOOOOOOOOD ultra lite Cool Whip is when you put it in the Freezer...its almost like a mousse ice cream. *drools*

And for me...if i need a little something extra, you can use those swiss hot choc. packets and poor a little over it and its like you have made yourself a little sundae.

Awesome idea:drinker:
    I too am a very bad night time muncher........There are a couple of things that I do to curb the urge to eat.
    One, I do the majority of my exercising in the evening and two I drink lots of coffee, which calms and relaxes me and it works as a filler.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    Buy yourself a mini trampoline, the cheap ones are as good as the expensive ones. Do 5 minutes bouncing in front of the tv. This way you are distracted whilst doing the exercise, you burn some calories and it will give you the extra energy you'll need to keep you going until bedtime.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a mini trampoline, the cheap ones are as good as the expensive ones. Do 5 minutes bouncing in front of the tv. This way you are distracted whilst doing the exercise, you burn some calories and it will give you the extra energy you'll need to keep you going until bedtime.

Good on ya, ninja! Move - don't eat.

I was going to suggest working out at night. Since I started doing that, I don't eat at night anymore. Victory!

I also don't eat any prepared food if I can avoid it. Those little pudding things and the "Free" Cool Whip have lots of chemicals and the pudding is LOADED with sodium. The sweet taste is also bad for me - -it makes my body think "Yummmmm, sugar. Eat more."
  • belle6766
    Options
    I do better when my blood sugar is more under control (working on THAT again LOL).

For sweets, especially chocolate, I make the cook and serve sf chocolate pudding with skim milk. I add a tsp. of almond extract to it. I usually make two boxes at the same time and make 6 servings - it makes 8 1/2 cup but because DH likes to take it to work with him to go with his lunch I make it in a slightly larger serving size.

Another good recipe is Pumpkin Fluffy Pudding:

2 boxes instant vanilla pudding
    4 cups skim milk
    1 can pumpkin (NOT pie filling, just the plain pumpkin)
    1 tsp pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
    1 sm. container ff cool whip, thawed.

Mix the pudding, milk, pumpkin and spice together for 2 minutes. Fold in the cool whip. Let set up in the fridge for an hour or two. Its good with a crumbled gingersnap on top.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ok....you're all going to think I'm crazy...BUT...when I get a craving at night, I brush my teeth!!
    I cannot stand the taste of anything after I brush them..YUCK

Hey...whatever works right???:laugh:

Totally not crazy! I do the same thing. Once I've had dinner and then about an hour later I get a dessert, sugar free jello, cottage cheese and yougur or some fruit. Once that is done I brush my teeth. Totally stops me from eating anything the rest of the night! :smile: