Tabata?

Options
Does anyone do tabata? I'm thinking of doing 2 days a week of tabata and two days of regular weightlifting. Im trying to burn fat while maintaining/possibly gaining more muscle as i just had a baby about 8 weeks ago. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    It's good for a cardio/circuit training/interval training type workout, and it's pretty intense.
    I've found some great tabata-styled videos on YouTube and Fitness Blender.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    What most people call Tabata isn't exactly what was done in the original trials, but if you have it in you to truely go as hard as you can during the work phases it's close enough. The trouble is that it is painfully difficult to maintain "full tilt" and all to easy to slack off to save yourself. I have used it in a once every other week cycle.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I usually do it with either kettlebell swings out front squats with appropriate weight.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Tabata is not a starter program. It's not really a "fat burning" program. It's more of a fitness maintenance program. It can increase your fitness as well, but so can dozens of other programs.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It a finishing tool to hone in peak performance on key event - it pushes once's lactic threshold level higher and increase the duration one can maintain that fatigue intensity. The immediate benefits are short lived due to accumulative fatigue although the overall adaptation does linger. It's also not something that can be performed more than one mesocycle (maybe upto six weeks before tappering) with 2 or 3 (elite status!) sessions per week.

You will burn more calories on the warm up/cool down portions of the session than with the actual intervals.
  • Abby_C2014
    Abby_C2014 Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    TABATA MY FAVORITE!!! Man, it is very exhausting than any other HIIT workouts I did. I feel like my heart is going to EXPLODE, because you have to push yourself to your limit. It's fun though.