need a solid 5 day weight lifting plan

Options
Hello mfp community. I need some advice for a five day weight lifting routine for the week. I have a routine I normally do but feel I can have a better one. I want to work most muscle groups and I go to the local gym 5-6 days a week. I do at least 30 minutes of cardio a day and do weights for about an hour or more. I want to build more muscle and lean out. Anyone have any solid 5 day weight lifting routines they like? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks- Chris

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    5 days being Mon thru Fri?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be 5 days? 5-days versus 3 or 4 isn't really indicative of success in getting stronger; it's more common to body-building or figure athletes. There are a variety of good programs, StrongLifts5x5, IceCreamFitness 5x5, Beyond 5/3/1, Starting Strength, etc. I would start with one of those for a good 12-weeks and then re-evaluate your needs.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What is your current routine and are you completely devoted to 5 days? Or are you willing to go to 3 or 4 days with the other days just having cardio?
  • scarletvikarby
    scarletvikarby Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing up week 4 of Body Beast. It's wonderful.
  • ryyan00
    ryyan00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mon-squat, tues-press, wendsday-off, Thursday-squat&deadlift, friday-press, Saturday fluff&puff/hiit, Sunday-off
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Plenty plans to choose from out there if you really want 5 days but there are also quite a few solid programs that are 3 and 4 day lifting.
    Which are you planning to do first, build muscle or lean out?
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be 5 days? 5-days versus 3 or 4 isn't really indicative of success in getting stronger; it's more common to body-building or figure athletes. There are a variety of good programs, StrongLifts5x5, IceCreamFitness 5x5, Beyond 5/3/1, Starting Strength, etc. I would start with one of those for a good 12-weeks and then re-evaluate your needs.

This. Also, unless you are pretty inexperienced it is hard to lean out and gain muscle at the same time. Muscle needs calories to be built, to lean out you need to eat at a deficit. You want to pick one to focus on; that will maximize the results either way. (I.e. Eat at a slight surplus and lift for a while, after following a program switch your diet and try to maintain your strength and muscle gains as well as you can during your "cutting phase".)
    Hope it helps.
  • Abby_C2014
    Abby_C2014 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I usually get my workout plans here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html Workout plans I did was Lee Labrada 12 week Lean body trainer. I am currently on Kris Gethin's 12 week trainer. Sign up for bodyspace and get the app because you can put the workout in your calendar. In addition, you can log sets and reps for it. The only thing I change is leg day lol I make it my Glute day haha.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You asked, so I'll share. Here was my response to a similar question a few months ago....

I just transitioned to Crossfit, but prior to that I was doing a 4-day split with a 5th day upper body only day (I didn't want to just hit each upper body part once a week) and a 6th day for cardio. For the 4-day split, I had an A and B version with slightly different exercises (too many good ones to pick from) and each week I alternated to keep things fresh. Below is a sample of the split and exercises. Generally where you 2 exercise with an "or" I'm showing you both major lifts, one of which would have been in my A split, and the other in my B split. For example, if I did Deadlift on Back Day, on the Upper Body only day I'd do the Barbell Row (and vice versa).

My goal was to have a routine I could get done in 60-75 minutes. Each day I tried to focus on just a few key exercises to hit each body part for the day. My sets and reps would vary with my goal being a total of 24-30 good working reps per exercise (i.e. 3x10, or 3x8, 5x5, etc.). I always added a Treadmill finisher at the end, but switched up between running hills (incline/decline) and HIIT.

Day 1 - Chest/Triceps 1
    Dumbbell Incline Bench Press or Dumbbell Bench Press
    Dumbbell One Arm Bench Press or Dumbell One Arm Incline Press
    DIPS
    Push-ups
    Treadmill Finisher (Hills or HIIT)

Day 2 - Back/Bicep
    Deadlift or Barbell Bent Over Row
    Wide-grip Pull-ups or Close Grip Chin-ups
    Dumbbell One Arm Row
    Dumbbell Incline or Standing Curl
    Dumbbell Incline or Standing Hammer Curls

Day 3 - Shoulders
    Standing Barbell or Seated Dumbbell B Press
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise or Cable Lateral Raise
    Dumbbell Bent-over Reverse Flyes
    Weight Plate High Front Raise
    Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug

Day 4 - Legs
    Barbell Front or Back Squat
    Barbell Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    Dumbbell Walking Lunges or Step-ups
    Leg Extensions
    Seated or Standing Calf Raise

Day 5 – All Upper Body
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Barbell Decline Bench Press
    Barbell Row or Barbell Deadlift
    Straight Arm Lat Pulldown
    Standing Barbell or Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl
    Dumbbell Hammer Curl

Day 6 – Steady State (HR Zone 2) Cardio
    60 minutes - Treadmill
  • Chrisbande
    Chrisbande Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Plenty plans to choose from out there if you really want 5 days but there are also quite a few solid programs that are 3 and 4 day lifting.
    Which are you planning to do first, build muscle or lean out?
    _benjammin wrote: »
    5 days being Mon thru Fri?
    jemhh wrote: »
    What is your current routine and are you completely devoted to 5 days? Or are you willing to go to 3 or 4 days with the other days just having cardio?

I go from Sunday to Thursday as my main gym days, i go in Friday to get my cardio on with my wife and wonder around and do random strength sets. I really haven't decided if I want to lean out or build muscle. I sorta want to do both this time around. A number of years ago I lost weight a sorta lifted but was never really muscular defined so to speak. I kinda wanna see some "gainz" as I have the bulky body for it and may wear it well when done. I am dedicated to 5 days on with cardio on those days.
  • Chrisbande
    Chrisbande Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You asked, so I'll share. Here was my response to a similar question a few months ago....

I just transitioned to Crossfit, but prior to that I was doing a 4-day split with a 5th day upper body only day (I didn't want to just hit each upper body part once a week) and a 6th day for cardio. For the 4-day split, I had an A and B version with slightly different exercises (too many good ones to pick from) and each week I alternated to keep things fresh. Below is a sample of the split and exercises. Generally where you 2 exercise with an "or" I'm showing you both major lifts, one of which would have been in my A split, and the other in my B split. For example, if I did Deadlift on Back Day, on the Upper Body only day I'd do the Barbell Row (and vice versa).

My goal was to have a routine I could get done in 60-75 minutes. Each day I tried to focus on just a few key exercises to hit each body part for the day. My sets and reps would vary with my goal being a total of 24-30 good working reps per exercise (i.e. 3x10, or 3x8, 5x5, etc.). I always added a Treadmill finisher at the end, but switched up between running hills (incline/decline) and HIIT.

Day 1 - Chest/Triceps 1
    Dumbbell Incline Bench Press or Dumbbell Bench Press
    Dumbbell One Arm Bench Press or Dumbell One Arm Incline Press
    DIPS
    Push-ups

Day 2 - Back/Bicep
    Deadlift or Barbell Bent Over Row
    Wide-grip Pull-ups or Close Grip Chin-ups
    Dumbbell One Arm Row
    Dumbbell Incline or Standing Curl
    Dumbbell Incline or Standing Hammer Curls

Day 3 - Shoulders
    Standing Barbell or Seated Dumbbell B Press
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise or Cable Lateral Raise
    Dumbbell Bent-over Reverse Flyes
    Weight Plate High Front Raise
    Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug

Day 4 - Legs
    Barbell Front or Back Squat
    Barbell Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    Dumbbell Walking Lunges or Step-ups
    Leg Extensions
    Seated or Standing Calf Raise

Day 5 – All Upper Body
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Barbell Decline Bench Press
    Barbell Row or Barbell Deadlift
    Straight Arm Lat Pulldown
    Standing Barbell or Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl
    Dumbbell Hammer Curl

Day 6 – Steady State (HR Zone 2) Cardio
    60 minutes - Treadmill

I like this one. Thanks for sharing it.
  • colyphysio
    colyphysio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Power bodybuilding is a good solid workout. Gets best of powerlifting and lean muscle gain
  • pembr0ke
    pembr0ke Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i used to go 5/6 days a week to the gym but kept getting injured. Since I've started taking a rest day between workouts I've made better gains. I'm 49yrs old and generally do 30 mins cardio followed by one hour weights. due to a bad back I use mainly machines and dumbbells. i do 4 pyramid sets per machine, 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps and 6 reps, increasing the weight every set. machines used:

CHEST PRESS
    LAT PULLDOWN
    PEC FLY
    ROTARY TORSO
    TRICEP PRESS
    SEATED ROW
    SHOULDER PRESS
    AB CRUNCH

dumbbells- incline press two sets of 10 with 20kg, 22kg, 24kg, 26kg, 28kg and 30kg (last set kills and I avg 5/6 reps). note-this is 20kg per hand etc..

Pyramid sets have made it easier to gain strength with small weekly increases. Due to load and age the rest day is great and has improved my training (when combined with a good diet).

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Are you a beginner? As in how long have you been lifting? If you are a beginner, haven't lifted constantly for a couple of years then just look up "starting strength"

It's a good basic routine to help build the core strength needed for things later on.
  • big_striker
    big_striker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am starting the 'All Pro' workout next week which is only 3 days a week but intense. Will do my cardio on the other 4 days