beginner jogger

Options
So I haven't jogged outdoors in over a year; i hate it. even when I did it wasn't regularly. I'm aware that you burn more calories jogging outside than on a treadmill. Hows a good way to get into it? How long should I be jogging, til I'm tired? Also how often a week? Would be great for my dog and I.

Replies

• trisnic
    trisnic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not sure why no one has answered but here goes. No more than 3 times a week and no more than 30 minutes each, even 15 is well sufficient. Your muscles and condition will improve faster than your ligaments toughen up so keep it like this the first 2 months, but feel free to improve your time performance, run faster. If you get sore, rest and massage is key.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    casskat92 wrote: »
    So I haven't jogged outdoors in over a year; i hate it. even when I did it wasn't regularly. I'm aware that you burn more calories jogging outside than on a treadmill.

You burn more calories per minute. But 100 calories burned from jogging is the same as 100 calories from walking, which is the same as eating 100 calories less. Makes sense?

If you want to run, google C25K, which is a popular beginner's running program.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @casskat92 When you were running last year, how often? How long would you typically run for?

Whatever your starting point is will be determined by your current level of fitness. If you are quite unfit (like I was when I started in September 2015) then you'll want to ease into running with a walk-run-walk or run-walk-run type program that intersperses periods of walking with running. As you progress you can shorten and eventually eliminate the walking periods.
    Would be great for my dog and I.

Yes, it will be!

Scale in distance gradually, never more than 10% a week. Your first objective might be to get to the point where you can run for 30 minutes without stopping, and at a pace where you could carry on something of a conversation with your dog. The dog doesn't have to answer you. :smile:

Once you get in the regular habit of running and your ability improves you might just find you like it.

I certainly hated my poor fitness and inability to run even 2km without frequently stopping last year when I started running again in September. But simply sticking to it and gradually increasing my run distance as my fitness improved and my body adapted has allowed me become very fit and remain injury free, and gain a tremendous amount of enjoyment from the activity too. That I also lost 80 pounds over that period didn't hurt either.

And my dog loves it too. especially running on trails!
    IMG_20150610_155011.jpg
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i didn't like running
    i used zen labs c25k. and i moved on to b210k. and I will be starting HM training in a week or so

if you don't like it, you don't have to do it. you will be most successfull at doing things you like to do.
    there are days i still hate it-yesterday, but I'm still looking forward to tomorrow (1hr run). start slow. don't do too much. get properly fitted shoes from a running store if you can swing it
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So I haven't jogged outdoors in over a year; i hate it. even when I did it wasn't regularly. I'm aware that you burn more calories jogging outside than on a treadmill. Hows a good way to get into it? How long should I be jogging, til I'm tired? Also how often a week? Would be great for my dog and I.

Need to know what exactly did you not like about running outside and why you liked running on a treadmill better?

Me personally, I find it extremely boring huffing it out in a boring steamy room and going nowhere.
    I like being outside in nature. Look at that dog enjoying himself in the beautiful woods outside in the picture above. Imagine the fresh smell of nature, the cool breeze hitting your head, the sounds of birds chirping.

Even when I go on vacation or have to travel to work. I love exploring new areas running out in these exciting new places. Why would I want to spend that time locked in the hotel room on the treadmill?

I even have a fun group of people that I enjoy spending time with as say 15 or 20 of us meet and take off together. Then we meet up at the end and have coffee together. Imagine trying to do that with all of you on the treadmill. Blah! lol

BTW: I'm aware that you burn more calories jogging outside than on a treadmill. <<< where did this come from? What makes running outside 1 mile make you burn more calories as opposed to running 1 mile on a treadmill?
  • Stoshew71
    Options

How long and how often per week? Is the goal just to burn calories? if so, how many calories do you want to burn?
    If the goal is to say, maybe I want to run a 5K or maybe a half marathon some day, or I want to run really fast for a 5K; the answer is all different depending on what you want to get out of the running.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

why not do something you actually enjoy doing instead? just a thought...

IMO, there are runners and not runners...i don't know any not runners who got really into running...i just don't think it works that way.
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options

And my dog loves it too. especially running on trails!
    IMG_20150610_155011.jpg
    [/quote]

Cute dog! My dog loves to run, too, though I haven't yet taken her on any trails (I've only had her since May).
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    IMO, there are runners and not runners...i don't know any not runners who got really into running...i just don't think it works that way.

Maybe start a thread and ask the question?

I've run into quite a few people here on MFP who weren't runners that took it up for fitness reasons and came to love it and I'd expect you'd find that if you ask the question.

Of course, there will be those who self-describe themselves as hating running. No big surprise -- Most people dislike something they suck at.

Some people who have decent fitness and natural running ability are going to easily fall into running. Then there's all the rest who have to overcome some level of suck-i-ness before they can experience anything resembling fun, accomplishment or mastery.

Running, like many activities and pursuits, is something you can develop more ability over time. But you have to want to or have reason to be motivated to try.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    ... I'm aware that you burn more calories jogging outside than on a treadmill.

I'd be shocked if that were true. If it is I would guess the difference is minimal and probably only on paper.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Get a c25k programme. It'll help so much. I hated running but wanted something to include the dog. So I did that and now I like running (prefer it without the dog but oh well).

There's loads of apps out there for running. I used the Zombies, run! App because it's got this whole involved storyline which keeps me coming back for more.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options

So I am a person that has to run. When I first started it was my least favorite thing. I disliked condition during football and baseball seasons and it always seemed like a punishment. After many years of running, I enjoy it. It is relaxing and helps me recover from my lifts. The thing that helped me was the realization that not every run had to be a race. Age taught me patience.
  • cwolfman13
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

Maybe start a thread and ask the question?

I've run into quite a few people here on MFP who weren't runners that took it up for fitness reasons and came to love it and I'd expect you'd find that if you ask the question.

Of course, there will be those who self-describe themselves as hating running. No big surprise -- Most people dislike something they suck at.

Some people who have decent fitness and natural running ability are going to easily fall into running. Then there's all the rest who have to overcome some level of suck-i-ness before they can experience anything resembling fun, accomplishment or mastery.

Running, like many activities and pursuits, is something you can develop more ability over time. But you have to want to or have reason to be motivated to try.

but she tried it before and said she hated it...i'm sure there are a lot of people who have never really run and taken it up for fitness and ended up enjoying it...but she already stated that she ran before and hated it...

i'm also not talking about MFP land...I live and breathe fitness in the real world and the people i know that are runners...are runners...and others simply aren't and don't like it like me. i can ride my bike for hours and miles on end...but if i'm running, that means some bad *kitten* is going down behind me (save for my once per week cross train 5K).

I know lots of people in the for real world that have tried running...hated running...so they don't run. my coach is actually a really good runner...but he loathes every mile when he does it.

my overall point was for the OP to do something she likes doing...'cuz like people tend to stick to things they actually enjoy...and since she already claimed to hate it i didn't see any point in telling her to suck it up until she magically does.

being former military i've done plenty of running and have never magically taken to it. on the other hand, i took my first real ride and fell in love with my bike pretty much immediately...even though i was a long way from being good at it.
  • cwolfman13
    edited October 2015
    Options
    armylife wrote: »

So I am a person that has to run. When I first started it was my least favorite thing. I disliked condition during football and baseball seasons and it always seemed like a punishment. After many years of running, I enjoy it. It is relaxing and helps me recover from my lifts. The thing that helped me was the realization that not every run had to be a race. Age taught me patience.

i'm a former Marine and have spent plenty of time running...never liked it...necessary evil. when i first got back into fitness i picked up running again...hated every mile...took a real bike ride one day and immediately fell in love with cycling...i didn't have to learn to love it, i just did and knew immediately that cycling was going to end up being a passion
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    armylife wrote: »

i'm a former Marine and have spent plenty of time running...never liked it...necessary evil. when i first got back into fitness i picked up running again...hated every mile...took a real bike ride one day and immediately fell in love with cycling...i didn't have to learn to love it, i just did and knew immediately that cycling was going to end up being a passion

May I suggest the OP borrow a bike and see if she falls in love with it immediately?
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Another with c25k you could try zombie run. I injured myself on a trail run and have to go slowly to get myself into it and not worry about my leg so I've tried that and it's a lot of run trying to out run the zombies
  • rnohou2010
    rnohou2010 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide, please don't jog on hard pavement. I did that for about 40 years and totally blew out my feet. Find a dirt trail or one of those tracks made from recycled rubber.
  • kimjacques2
    kimjacques2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would advise if you do get into running is to have a gait analysis done, the right shoes make all the difference!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    rnohou2010 wrote: »
    Whatever you decide, please don't jog on hard pavement. I did that for about 40 years and totally blew out my feet. Find a dirt trail or one of those tracks made from recycled rubber.

The hell does this even mean?

Plenty of people run on asphalt just fine. concrete is a bit rougher on the joints (I really feel it when it run on that), but some people even run on that. I prefer trails, but that's a preference.