Am I doing enough?

Options
I just started this journey again and I've been hitting the gym for a week now. I've been doing 25mins on the treadmill (1.25mil) and 30mins on the epillipic trainer . yesterday I did the stairs for 30mins instead. But is that enough for now ?

Replies

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    yep, more than enough for most people. Unless you're training for a marathon then 30 minutes cardio a day is awesome - just make sure your calorie intake is where it needs to be and you're sorted!
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Never seen the point of switch from cardio machine to cardio machine. Cardio is cardio. Doesn't really matter what you do as long as you get your heart rate up. Just hop on the machine you like best and stick with it.

Of course, you could always start lifting.
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That's a great start! You might want to figure out your target HR for fat burning, if that's your goal and then just check it throughout your cardio session. I would also suggest weight lifting.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »
    Never seen the point of switch from cardio machine to cardio machine. Cardio is cardio. Doesn't really matter what you do as long as you get your heart rate up. Just hop on the machine you like best and stick with it.

I used to switch often because I got bored... it kept me from wrapping up early. I see a benefit to it.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    What about weight training? If you only do 1 extra thing (on top getting your diet in order) I would make it weight training. Adding muscle pays dividends in many ways that just cardio doesn't. The 2nd thing I'd do is add some HIIT Cardio. Once you have those down, only then would I add true cardio. It's not that it's bad, but increasing your lean muscle mass will increase your metabolism. Your body will burn more calories at rest to maintain the new muscle, your body will burn calories while working out, and your body will burn calories recovering from your workout. Cardio you burn while you're doing it and that's it. HIIT has some carry over effect. Plus, once you lose the weight you want, you want to look "tone" (I know, there's no such thing really) which is basically lower body fat that allows your lean muscle to show.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Any amount of activity will help you. However, it really depends on what your fitness goals are.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    "enough" is going to be relative to your fitness goals. note that your diet is going to have a much greater impact on your weight loss...moving and getting regular exercise makes things easier and diet and exercise work congruently together for your overall health and well being...but they really are separate things.

what i mean by that is that basically you can do all the exercise in the world, but if your diet is not in check it is completely meaningless to weight management objectives. i ride about 60 - 80 miles per week, usually get in a 5K or a swim to cross train...lift weights a couple days per week...do a little yoga...walk my dog and am otherwise generally just pretty active. I have lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight all the while doing these things...the difference between those weight management objectives wasn't my exercise...it was my diet.

it is really beneficial to start looking at fitness for the sake of fitness...this opens up a whole other world for most people and really helps in establishing fitness goals that go beyond just arbitrary calorie burns and weight management efforts.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    One other thing to consider....if you do add more exercise, you're going to need to add more calories. Recently I'm seeing this as a HUGE issue with a lot of people who have friended me. They are eating a good amount of calories for the day, but then they are putting up huge calorie burns from exercise. Assuming they are accurate, those burns are dropping them to dangerous net calorie levels (i.e. 400-600 a day, day after day). To cwolfman's point - it's important you have your diet in order and are comfortable with the concepts of healthy eating before taking on too much more. I've even seen people say they want to go exercise but aren't going to because they don't want to have to eat anything more.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Enough for what?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

The point is if you switch up your cardio, you are less likely to have overuse injuries from doing the exact same repetitive motion.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    skip the elliptical and add some weight training.
  • Abby_C2014
    Abby_C2014 Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    What about weight training? If you only do 1 extra thing (on top getting your diet in order) I would make it weight training. Adding muscle pays dividends in many ways that just cardio doesn't. The 2nd thing I'd do is add some HIIT Cardio. Once you have those down, only then would I add true cardio. It's not that it's bad, but increasing your lean muscle mass will increase your metabolism. Your body will burn more calories at rest to maintain the new muscle, your body will burn calories while working out, and your body will burn calories recovering from your workout. Cardio you burn while you're doing it and that's it. HIIT has some carry over effect. Plus, once you lose the weight you want, you want to look "tone" (I know, there's no such thing really) which is basically lower body fat that allows your lean muscle to show.
    . I agree with the above answer. I do HIIT workouts for my cardio and some weightlifting. The reason is I burn calories during and after my workouts. Basically, I can play video games,watch anime, sleep almost during the afternoons and still be able to burn more cals. I am a 5'1" female and my maintenance is 3000-3500 (crazy high for me).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

The point is if you switch up your cardio, you are less likely to have overuse injuries from doing the exact same repetitive motion.

i cycle almost exclusively for my cardio...never had an overuse injury. i usually get in a good 80 miles per week...

personally i'd go the route of doing some cardio and then doing some resistance training vs doing some cardio and then arbitrarily switching machines to do more cardio...
  • trisnic
    trisnic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lifts weights. Get an instructor at the gym to show you a 15min routine for squats and deadlifts, it will yield more results than your current 65 min workout. Use your cardio as warmup for 15 min beforehand, best spent 30 min training in your life
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    If weights aren't for you, switch up one of your cardio machines for the rowing machine. It will give you a better all body work out.
    As others have said, get your calories in order first, that is how one loses the weight. Exercise is for health, although it does helps a little, but you do have to fuel your exercise.

Cheers, h.
  • luv2eat2013
    luv2eat2013 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    DO WHAT YOU COULD DO AND SINCE THIS IS YOUR FIRST WEEK YOU ARE DOING GREAT.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My husband jumps between cardio machines too. 30 mins each, then hits the weights.
    I normally strength train and Zumba for an hour then top it off with the treadmill for 30-60 minutes. Depending on how I feel.
    If you're max minimum of extensive exercise time for 60 minutes three days out the week, then you're off to a good start.
    Then do a solid 60 mins three times out the week followed by 30 minutes of a casual 300 calorie burn your remaining days. With a day or two rest. Depending on how you feel, you're good.
    Go two hours on a hard hit three times a week and you'll be feeling real good both physically and mentally.
    Either way you go, you're off to a real good start.
    Switching up is also a good way to keep you out of that bored rut too.
    Keep it up!
  • MzStylish21
    MzStylish21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks , sounds great!
  • MzStylish21
    MzStylish21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Weight training I don't have a problem with I feel I can add it in but how much weight should I lift (start with?) . i think the last time I added weights I went a little over board , I always felt exhausted the next day :/
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm in the strength training and HIIT camp, too, although I will add some long hiking into the mix at some point next year, as that is in line with my long-term fitness goals.

I guess what is right for you depends on your own long-term goals. Just weight loss? Exercise can be nice but you can lose without it. For any other fitness gains (and there are a lot of other aspects of fitness), you'll want a training program that gets you to your other fitness objectives.

For me, my goals were:

1. Build or retain as much muscle mass as possible while dieting. Strength training was the logical step here.
    2. Improve my cardiovascular fitness. HIIT was the means I chose to tackle this.
    3. Train for long days of hiking/treking/backpacking. I already walk a good deal. I'll be hiking on weekends and sticking to the HIIT on weekdays.