Looking to lose fat & gain muscle w/o a gym membership!

Hey all!! My husband & I are looking to burn fat but gain muscle without the use of a gym membership. We have a busy lifestyle with school, work, & kids so we need help with ideas for at home. My husband needs help with upper body bc his lower is already pretty lean & I really want to slim my waist while building a booty & legs. We are not really overweight so I know it won't take long! Please help if you can & if you need motivation/inspiration to get up & get moving, please feel free to add me!!!!

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Hi :]

Google and Pinterest are amazing for fat burning work-out's you can do at home (no equipment necessary!). There have been times when I haven't been able to get to the gym, so I download whatever looks good on google and get a really good work-out from those! I somtimes write myself out 'at home' plans to try here and there (example: 20 jump squats, 10 push up's, 30 mountain climbers, 20 per leg lunge *repeat 4 times*) and I sweat LOADS from that sort of routine!

Good luck!
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    edited October 2015
    A lot depends on how much space you have and how much equipment you're willing to buy. For your husbands upper body, he can make a great start with a pull-up bar and doing push ups. For yourself, PinkPixie's advice above is a good routine.

If you're up for getting some equipment, I would get a small barbell and dumbells, with weight plates from 0.5kg up to 5kg (totally about 40kg of weights), a pull-up bar, and bench. You can do loads with this setup, including squats which is great for the legs. As you progress you'll want to get more weight plates, and if you want to get really serious and heavy on the squats you'll need a rack for safety (which is a much more expensive and space filling proposition). Not sure how old your kids are, but keep them out of the room while your training.

If you're not overweight it can be hard if not impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, I read somewhere that below 15% body fat it's basically impossible to do both at the same time, and you need to alternate between something like two months of bulking (on a 300 daily calorie surplus) and two months cutting (on a 300 calorie deficit) - I'm sure someone will contest these numbers, but the principle is the same.

For you I would start on a maintenance level of calories (for the weight you want to be at, using the tools on this website), start the exercises, and see where you are in 6 weeks. Then adjust the calories up or down as necessary.

Good luck!

• New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    You tube videos have been working for me I have hips n I'm finally starting to build a booty with jillian michaels free at home n videos r between 30-50 mins
  • 47shannybananny
    47shannybananny Posts: 4 Member
    It's fun checking out the used stores for some economically valued DVDs! I went through a fun Taebo stage and all that kicking and punching in aerobic action did work well for me. No equipment required with the ones I used.