Gluten Free picnic food ideas?

Options
Hi all! My entire immediate family is coming to visit me for 9 days next month and we'll be out and about most days doing touristy things....I wanted to pack picnic-style lunches so we can avoid the high prices of going out to restaurants all the time (plus there's 15 of us so that can be time-consuming at a restaurant too!). Packing sandwiches is the easiest, and even thought about making a chicken pasta salad, but my mom has celiac disease so she must eat GF. Any of you have some suggestions what I can make for her? Any "sandwich" substitutes (outside of making GF bread, I don't have a bread maker)? Thanks!

Replies

• BastaConLaPasta
    Options
    got to take the kids to nursery but am marking my place and will be back later to reply - am also gluten free so have tonnes of ideas for you!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Rice crackers, veggie sticks, cheese and dips. Make it posh by adding quince paste/ fig jam etc and having it like a cheese board.

Fruit

GF brownies (yummo!)

Pumpkin and feta salad

GF wraps (not tried but seen them in shops)

Potato salad for a more filling salad

Nuts, dried fruit, seeds, berries

Yoghurt (check ingredients)

Cold pasta salad using GF pasta

Chicken pieces
  • csellerssmith
    csellerssmith Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My 8 year old daughter is gluten free and I pack a gluten free lunch everyday. In a pinch, you could purchase gluten free bread and I think Udi's (brand) makes the best. I like to bake my own GF bread and I love the bread recipes published by the magazine "Living Without". If you choose to bake, you may want to find out how sensitive she is (if you don't already know) b/c the contamination of using an oven where non-GF items are baked may cause problems for her. Fortunately, my daughter isn't quite THAT sensitive but I hear that it happens...

Good Luck! Hummus is a good option to go with rice crackers or a salad in a "stay cool" container like fit-n-fresh would also be good alternatives.
  • zumbasalsera
    Options
    Thank you, this community is wonderful! Thanks for all the ideas so far, and more are welcome...we have 9 days of vacation so a variety of options is very welcome!!! Thanks!