Kettlebells and calories

Options
I'm copying this from another discussion so it will have an appropriate title since I looked for this when I started with MyFitnessPal.

Last night I looked up the formulas and verified them against MyFitnessPal. Also ordered a Polar Ft4. It was on my doorstep when I got home from work. (Amazon Prime) The calories calculated by the FT4 and my spreadsheet also matched exactly, so I'm satisfied that I understand exactly what MFP and the FT4 are doing.

Tonight was a kettlebell routine called Simple and Sinister. I measured the warm-up (halos, bridges & goblet squats) along with the workout (Turkish Get-ups and swings). I was so anxious to see the results that I forgot that I was supposed to do loaded carries when I was done. Next time. The is more metabolic conditioning than a regular weight training session. Peak heartrate 94% of calculated max with average at 83%. It suits me better than steady state cardio. My conclusion is that the calories from heart rate will work with weights in a metcon workout.

Saturday is rings day (leveraged calisthenics). I'm anxious to see the result for comparison since tonight's 23.5 min kettlebell workout had the calorie total of 25 min "Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort." Since I am meeting my fat loss goals I figured that I've been guessing right in the absence of that category in MyFitnessPal.

I'm not doing standard weightlifting at the moment, but I have a business trip coming up and I might do that in the hotel gym just to see.

That was a bit long winded but the bottom line seems to me if you are doing whole body compound exercises without a bunch of long rests, you can do reasonable calorie calculations while lifting heavy things. I'm still not convinced about it working with bodybuilding (Frankenstein's monster muscle isolation stuff). Time will tell.

I hope this helps someone.

Replies

• DOTT010401
    DOTT010401 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You helped me, I had no clue what to put down. I do kettlenetics which might be different, not sure. Alot of the names sound the same. Anyway, thank you