FitBit info

Options
2»

Replies

• xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ashbee03 wrote: »
    I am looking into a charge HR, so basically if I link it from reading all of these posts it will just log my exercise automatically?
    And the calories will show as exercise?
    The same as if I were to manually enter calories burned?
    I'm hearing about it lowering calories instead of adding calories. I do not eat my "exercise calories" anyways, but I wouldn't wanna see it going lower.

It will log calorie burn from step based activity. You'll have to log stuff like cycling.

It will add calories back to what you can eat and stay at/under target based on steps taken.

Based on your settings, you can set it up for negative adjustments (taking calories away from what you can eat) or not. I wasn't sure about this feature either but to me, it's fine. It just helps to make sure you're getting the minimum amount of activity to eat what it allows based on your settings. For example, i have mine set to lightly active in MFP. In order to eat the ~2100 cals today i had to get to around 3k steps before it broke even. Now it's adding back, and will continue to add available calories for the rest of the day as long as i stay somewhat active (i haven't really gotten started yet :) ). If you don't want this feature, just don't enable negative calories. Just note that if you set your activity level too high, and you have a sluggish day, you may be eating over your goal.

• ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 270 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I am looking into a charge HR, so basically if I link it from reading all of these posts it will just log my exercise automatically?
    I'm hearing about it lowering calories instead of adding calories. I do not eat my "exercise calories" anyways, but I wouldn't wanna see it going lower.

It will log calorie burn from step based activity. You'll have to log stuff like cycling.

It will add calories back to what you can eat and stay at/under target based on steps taken.

Based on your settings, you can set it up for negative adjustments (taking calories away from what you can eat) or not. I wasn't sure about this feature either but to me, it's fine. It just helps to make sure you're getting the minimum amount of activity to eat what it allows based on your settings. For example, i have mine set to lightly active in MFP. In order to eat the ~2100 cals today i had to get to around 3k steps before it broke even. Now it's adding back, and will continue to add available calories for the rest of the day as long as i stay somewhat active (i haven't really gotten started yet :) ). If you don't want this feature, just don't enable negative calories. Just note that if you set your activity level too high, and you have a sluggish day, you may be eating over your goal.

Thank you! It kind of makes sense lol. I guess I'll see when I get it.
    I don't have to link them though right? And just log whatever calories my Fitbit says I've burned in exercise and step mode?
    Or is mfp calorie estimate more accurate than Fitbit?
    I'm so new to this, I'm sorry lol
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Thank you! It kind of makes sense lol. I guess I'll see when I get it.
    I don't have to link them though right? And just log whatever calories my Fitbit says I've burned in exercise and step mode?
    Or is mfp calorie estimate more accurate than Fitbit?
    I'm so new to this, I'm sorry lol

@ashbee03 - Why don't you want to link them? Your Fitbit calorie burn is your TDEE. Logging all of that on MFP would result in massive double counting of calories. When they are linked you get an adjustment for just the extra calories (the calories you burned above MFP'S prediction).
  • ashbee03
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @shadow2soul I'm not really sure how it works, I don't even have one yet.
    I just am reading a lot of posts and it seems very confusing.
  • uniformpeanut
    uniformpeanut Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have a charge HR and I love it :) even though i have them linked, i personally prefer MFP as i think it helps me more in terms of tracking what I eat and calorie intake because I can more easily see my daily macros.

As for other fitbit models, I can't say if it would be better to use fitbit or MFP'S calorie estimates for your exercise (mainly because I've sometimes had to track my exercise manually with fitbit, but this was before I used MFP).

The charge and above models all have sleep tracking (not sure what lower models have the feature, if any) which I find super helpful. :smiley:
  • shadow2soul
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @ashbee03
    Well the Fitbit calorie burn is:
    BMR + tracked daily activity + exercise

MFP already predicts you will burn a certain number of calories based on your stats and activity level selection. If you log exercise, the calorie burn gets added to this number.

When they are linked, MFP will figure out the difference between what it predicted and what Fitbit tracked.
    If your Fitbit calorie burn is higher than MFP's prediction, you get calories added to your exercise diary.
    If your Fitbit burn is lower you will either have 0 adjustment or you will lose some calories(only applies if negative adjustments is turned on and MFP won't let the negative adjustment take you below 1200 calories).
    Does that help any?

An example would be:

MFP expects me to burn 1856 calories in a 24 hour period based on my activity level setting and stats without exercise.
    So yesterday, Fitbit tracked my calorie burn to be 2332.
    2332 - 1856 = 476
    476 calories were added to my exercise diary as an adjustment. Basically I was more active than what I have my MFP activity level set at.

or if we look at today:
    Fitbit has me at 1675 as of 10:03 pm. MFP thinks that by midnight Fitbit will say I have burned 1825 calories for the day.
    1825 - 1856 = - 31
    31 calories are being taken away today (I have negative adjustments enabled. If I didn't my adjustment would be 0 and my deficit would be 469 instead of 500 for the day.) Today, I wasn't active enough to meet MFP's calorie burn. Actually, chances are with as crappy as I feel, my adjustment will be even worse at midnight. I will probably lose 50 - 100 calories today.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,827 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I updated my weight and it dropped me 200 calories. I was still losing with what it was set at so that kind of put a damper on things but I couldn't figure out how to change it back.

You have probably set yourself to lose at 2lbs a week. And you are probably set as sedentary when in fact you aren't.

So even through at your new, lower weight, you burn less calories in a day, you are still showing steady weight losses.

MFP lowered your calories because you are telling it you want to follow a very aggressive deficit and it is trying to accommodate you by updating your goals based on your new weight.

The problem is not necessarily that MFP updated your goals based on your new weight. The problem is that your goals may be a bit on the aggressive side (as many new people's goals are).

Fitbit, when connected to MFP, will try to calculate your total daily energy expenditure. And it will send an adjustment to MFP based on the difference between what MFP guesses your TDEE to be and what Fitbit believes it to be.

Most people lose weight optimally when eating at a deficit of between 10% and 20% of their TDEE (if obese 25% off of their TDEE is generally speaking fine)... as long as the resulting net calories remain above BMR.

Ok, I don't understand all of this. I think I have mine set to 1lb per week bc I didn't plan to tackle this aggressively. For me it is about learning how to eat healthy and getting past sugar cravings and the like. I started at around 265
    and I am 5'9 (ish). I have lost 43lb in probably 110-120 days. I lost some weight bf I started logging and I have logged for 100 days as of today. It started at 1900(ish) calories and went down to 1750. I am fairly sedentary. I work 8-5 at a desk and then go home and work some more sitting. I haven't added exercise in for a few reasons. One of the reasons being I want to get the eating healthy to stick and two I am limited on time. I know everyone says "you have to make time" I will when I am ready. I don't do cheat days, I log everything. With the exception of a few days over the past 2 weeks I never exceed my calories. I have the S Health app on my phone which tracks steps but I don't carry my phone 24/7 so it's not really accurate and it I don't know how to equate xx steps into minutes walked even if I was logging exercise. I think I covered all your points! Thanks for the post.

You say that you're setup to lose 1lb a week and you log everything and "you don't exceed your calories".
    You don't say by how much you "under-eat" your calories.

You may be SET at a deficit of 500 cal a day to lose 1lb a week.
    But you REPORT you are losing 2.5lbs a week.
    Which implies a deficit of close to 1250 Cal a day.

a sedentary person walks less than 5000 steps in a day.
    an active person between 7500 and 12500
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,827 Member
    Options
    Connect your Fitbit and MFP accounts and ensure the time zone is correct.
    Enable negative adjustments.

Based on the feedback you've given update your MFP account to show you as ACTIVE; you are not sedentary based on your weight loss being much faster than your dialled in deficit.

Eat as per your MFP goals to lose as per your MFP dialled in deficit.
    Ignore fitbit's eating plan and eating recommendations.

Do not log step based activities as the Fitbit adequately deals with them.
    Log non step based exercise activities on either Fitbit or MFP (I would suggest Fitbit).
    Make sure you enter the correct time for the activity as it will over-ride whatever Fitbit recorded during that time frame.
  • ashbee03
    Options
    @ashbee03
    Well the Fitbit calorie burn is:
    BMR + tracked daily activity + exercise

MFP already predicts you will burn a certain number of calories based on your stats and activity level selection. If you log exercise, the calorie burn gets added to this number.

When they are linked, MFP will figure out the difference between what it predicted and what Fitbit tracked.
    If your Fitbit calorie burn is higher than MFP's prediction, you get calories added to your exercise diary.
    If your Fitbit burn is lower you will either have 0 adjustment or you will lose some calories(only applies if negative adjustments is turned on and MFP won't let the negative adjustment take you below 1200 calories).
    Does that help any?

An example would be:

MFP expects me to burn 1856 calories in a 24 hour period based on my activity level setting and stats without exercise.
    So yesterday, Fitbit tracked my calorie burn to be 2332.
    2332 - 1856 = 476
    476 calories were added to my exercise diary as an adjustment. Basically I was more active than what I have my MFP activity level set at.

or if we look at today:
    Fitbit has me at 1675 as of 10:03 pm. MFP thinks that by midnight Fitbit will say I have burned 1825 calories for the day.
    1825 - 1856 = - 31
    31 calories are being taken away today (I have negative adjustments enabled. If I didn't my adjustment would be 0 and my deficit would be 469 instead of 500 for the day.) Today, I wasn't active enough to meet MFP's calorie burn. Actually, chances are with as crappy as I feel, my adjustment will be even worse at midnight. I will probably lose 50 - 100 calories today.

@shadow2soul thank you so much! That did help me get a better understanding. Basically you just have to be as active as you say, otherwise if you're not you should have eaten less calories for that day.
    Thank you. I'm excited to get mine. I asked hubby for one for Xmas.
  • amayzing365
    amayzing365 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is relevant, but when I synced my Flex to MFP, it says to log all food & exercise on MFP--not onto Fitbit. It will add it over for you. Then it takes your steps & calories burned from your tracker. Works way easier & you only really have to deal with 1 app-except for syncing for your steps.
    I've been consistent for 9 days doing this & it's so much less confusing!
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    MFP says that to log everything on MFP and not fitbit purely because they want you to stay on their website. Folks who have used them together a while have pretty much figured out that the better way to go is to log their exercise onto fitbit and their food on MFP. This is because fitbit is much better at calculating "calories out" throughout the day. The calories burned will go from fitbit to MFP and your food totals will adjust accordingly. If you have negative turned on, you'll get calories taken away from you on days that you're a complete lump. This is a good thing to have it do, IMHO.
    There is a whole "fitbit users" group in this forum, including a very detailed FAQ sticky-post that goes into detail on how it all works.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Not sure if this is relevant, but when I synced my Flex to MFP, it says to log all food & exercise on MFP--not onto Fitbit. It will add it over for you. Then it takes your steps & calories burned from your tracker. Works way easier & you only really have to deal with 1 app-except for syncing for your steps.
    I've been consistent for 9 days doing this & it's so much less confusing!

@amayzing365 - True MFP does say that. However, I've had it glitch and send the workouts over with a 12 am start time. It's also really only so that your exact workout shows up in your exercise diary and in your feed. You can also end up with an adjustment from Fitbit taking away some calories when exercise is logged here which confuses people (typically happens when they workout log it here, but the rest of the day doesn't meet the activity level they selected on MFP).
  • amayzing365
    amayzing365 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    K. That's weird. I've been keeping a close eye & so far everything has matched up. Guess my glitch is coming