Oatmeal good for diet??

Options
carmenf21
carmenf21 Posts: 40 Member
Hi everyone, I was wondering if oatmeal is good for a diet... like does it actually work and help you lose weight??? Im referring to regular oatmeal without sugar.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Yes it is awesome.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I eat the Quaker Weight Control Packets every day of the work week.
  • shattiecoco
    Options
    yes its high in fiber, keeps you full longer and raelly good for you :)
  • beautymama2011
    Options
    oatmeal is great :D and eggs are perfect they are low in carbs and high in protien <3
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    it is very heart healthy and low cal...just watch out for the hidden sugars and it should be fine. good luck!
  • HaveWill
    HaveWill Posts: 16
    Options
    What about the instant one with raisins and walnuts? It does have sugar
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yes its great for weight loss! It keeps you filled as well....I usually eat the Village Farms Oatmeal or Kashi Go Lean oatmeal in the mornings :)
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Instant isn't as good for you as the canned oatmeal is. Takes longer to cook and I always have to add a pack of splenda to it.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love Oatmeal I eat it at least 3x a week. I eat the Better Oats Apple Cinnamon with Flax. Its really good and healthy!
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa oatmeal. Its high in protein and its considered a superfood.
    Toss some blueberries in there too for flavor.
    :)
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Whole grain oatmeal is great for you, with no added sugars!
  • carmenf21
    carmenf21 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! and it is true about being more full, I have been eating it for the past week every morning and I dont get hungry till later in the afternoon, which I'll just eat a yogurt or fruit. I just wasnt sure if it was good to lose weight with
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Generally a diet consists of food. Oatmeal is a food. Therefore oatmeal is a valid thing to have in your diet.
  • traceymccune
    Options
    I make a packet of plain oatmeal and smash a banana into it really well. It sweetens the oatmeal, gives it some flavor and you have a 200 cal breakfast. If I have some, I will add some chopped strawberries, blueberries, or and even some almonds. Great way to start the day!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats (not the packet stuff loaded with sugar) is one of the healthiest options out there.
    Check out this website for some new oatmeal recipes: http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    For oatmeal, the less processed the better. Even the quick oatmeal in the can isn't as good as the "old fashioned", which only takes less than 3 minutes in the microwave. I add in a handful of raisins, a squirt of honey, or even a spoon of peanut butter., plus some milk to loosen it up. It definitely will stay with you longer, the carbs release slower, and it'll give you warm fuzzies. :wink:
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Generally a diet consists of food. Oatmeal is a food. Therefore oatmeal is a valid thing to have in your diet.

HA! :laugh:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Old Fashioned - or rolled oats are still "instant" oatmeal. Both old fashioned & instant oats are steamed (pre-cooked) and then rolled. Instant oats are just rolled some more (thinner).

If you really want unprocessed oats - try steel cut oats - these take 25 minutes to cook. Many people "precook" a large batch for the week in a crockpot.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I remember a documentary on it recently that said instant is really precooked/dehydrated, but the others/rolled aren't quite as much? I think I tried steel cut once, my aunt made some. I didn't like the texture... Might be one of those things you just have to get used to. :sick:
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Lol. This.

Also, a diet that makes you lose weight always consists of a calorie deficit. Eat food, hit your minimum needs to protein and fat, stay a a deficit, profit. Doesn't get any simpler than that.