Calcium tracking

Options
I need to track the amount of calcium I get from my diet in order to determine how much, if any, more I need to get by taking a supplement. In looking at my food diary, the calcium amount shown indicates my goal is 100. My question is 100 what? What units? My true goal is 1200 mg a day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    The units are percentage points in relation to the RDA. MFP's default goal for calcium is 100% of the RDA. If you look at nutrition labels on food packaging, % is the unit used for vits A and C as well as calcium and iron. The RDA for calcium is 1000 mg per day, so if your personal goal is 1200 mg per day, you should be aiming for 120 in your MFP logging. Bear in mind, however, that not all MFP entries include figures for calcium. Some are missing it because the package label doesn't have the information; others are missing it because the MFP user didn't include it (some people seem to only put the information in their entries that they care about for their own tracking purposes). If calcium is important to you, you should check all the entries you use to be sure they include accurate data for calcium.
  • ethelruns
    ethelruns Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much for the very helpful information! I want to get the calcium I need from food rather than supplements. I currently take a raw calcium supplement. I will be watching my calcium intake.Thanks for the heads up that not all mfp entries have calcium info included. Will also definitely read the article.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    MFP will track calcium -- but only to a point. See, most foods in the MFP database were entered by users. They may or may not contain micronutrient (vitamin A, C, calcium, iron) information, and even if it's there it might not be accurate. As a result, depending on which entries you use, your food diary might be significantly underestimating how much calcium you get in your diet. Don't assume you're deficient unless you've had a blood test and it shows up in a screening.

Be careful with calcium supplements. You don't want to be taking them unless prescribed by a (legitimate medical) doctor. Most studies show that calcium from supplements is poorly absorbed, and there are downsides to taking supplements.

Also don't forget that calcium needs vitamin D to be absorbed. Your body can't produce vitamin D on its own, but will get some from being exposed to sunlight, but with most of us being very careful to wear sunscreen at all times, we're getting less vitamin D than we used to. You can also get vitamin D through fortified foods, especially dairy products like milk, which are also high in calcium.

Our bones continue to absorb calcium into our late 20s. After that, we lose calcium from our bones. If you didn't get enough calcium in your childhood and teenage years through your early 20s, it's almost impossible to catch up later in life. Unfortunately, most of us don't pay serious attention to long-term health issues until we're a bit older, when it's often too late.

• ethelruns
    ethelruns Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will ask my doctor about calcium level. I have my vitamin D level checked every year and take supplement to keep it within normal. I exercise regularly and try to get a bit of sunshine when I can. Thanks!
  • AnnaMesmer
    AnnaMesmer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Instead of using suspect studies and old reports, Berkeleywellness.com has a great informational article on bone health and all the ways calcium is needed in the body. The University has always been good at collecting and sorting through data. http://www.berkeleywellness.com/supplements/minerals/article/calcium-spotlight
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ethelruns wrote: »
    I will ask my doctor about calcium level. I have my vitamin D level checked every year and take supplement to keep it within normal. I exercise regularly and try to get a bit of sunshine when I can. Thanks!
    Blood work calcium level is NOT the same as calcium in your bones. Completely different. Just making sure you know. If you want to know your bone density, you need a DEXA test which could cost $300.
    Another tidbit is that the body cannot absorb more than 500mg at a time, so log it with your meals, and not in a separate section. I also watch my sodium (try for under 2,300 a day) and watch my potassium and magnesium (in my notes section). Currently I'm researching vitamin K2 to see if it's worth it.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ethelruns wrote: »
    Blood work calcium level is NOT the same as calcium in your bones. Completely different. Just making sure you know. If you want to know your bone density, you need a DEXA test which could cost $300.

That post is almost two years old.
  • gibbygirl1
    gibbygirl1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To track calcium, from the Home page, go to settings then Diary Settings. In the Nutrients Tracked section change one of the options to Calcium. You can track 5 nutrients in total.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    gibbygirl1 wrote: »
    To track calcium, from the Home page, go to settings then Diary Settings. In the Nutrients Tracked section change one of the options to Calcium. You can track 5 nutrients in total.

You can track 13 in total.

There are eight on the Printable Version (not changeable/locked) they are:

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber

So you could track five other ones on the FOOD diary, it's easy to just toggle back and forth.
  • eder1965
    eder1965 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

So you could track five other ones on the FOOD diary, it's easy to just toggle back and forth.

Is that only in the premium version or can you I do this in the free version too?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    eder1965 wrote: »

Is that only in the premium version or can you I do this in the free version too?

You can do it in the free version.