GVT Program

Options
What are your thoughts on GVT. This is my first week doing this type of program. I'm getting a great pump. Will only use this type of program for 2 weeks due to so much volume. Anyone had any success with this?

Replies

• RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just read up on it and looks great. And no hell no I say keep doing it until you hit a plateau.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I guess if I lower the volume of my assistance workouts I could keep it going. Just don't want to run into overtraining. Not a big deal though I guess. If I start to show symptoms of over training I'll just switch it up. Good look man. Thanks for the reply. Will keep it rolling and see what kind of gains I make.

And it humbles you..... Haha. It's rough, but like I said, have had some insane pumps
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you can recover and continue, it's a tough program, but from many I've seen doing it, results are pretty awesome. My opinion is that it shouldn't be done more than 3 times a week and only pick 2-3 exercises per session.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Yeah i 10x10 my compound lifts only. Accessory work is normally 3x8. I recover pretty quick so we will see what happens on week 2
  • Steve_Paul
    Steve_Paul Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have ran GVT serveral times. It is brutal but it works. Stick with it for 6 weeks and you will get results.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I ran it once. Was enjoyable but tough and definitely saw results. Good luck with it especially the leg part as you wont be able to walk right for days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Tagging. This looks like my kind of program.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    tagging to follow
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I have seen a few different formats (3 day, 4 day, 5 day) working different body parts, is there a preference? On non lifting days, do you guys rest or do some mild cardio?

@ninerbuff can you provide any greater insight into your or your clients experiences with the program?
  • jdscrubs32
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I have seen a few different formats (3 day, 4 day, 5 day) working different body parts, is there a preference? On non lifting days, do you guys rest or do some mild cardio?

@ninerbuff can you provide any greater insight into your or your clients experiences with the program?
    @psulemon when I ran the program, I did it a 3 day format. One day was legs which consisted of
    Back barbell squats and leg curls - 10x10
    hip raise and walking lunges - 3 x 20

Another day was arms with consisted of
    Seated bicep curl and lying tricep extension - 10x10
    Standing EZ Bar curl and Seated overhead tricep press - 3 x 12

3rd day was upper body which consisted of
    Incline dumbbell press and lat pulldown - 10x10
    reverse flys and seated row - 3 x 12

I ran on another day. Rested two separate days and started the process again.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

@psulemon when I ran the program, I did it a 3 day format. One day was legs which consisted of
    Back barbell squats and leg curls - 10x10
    hip raise and walking lunges - 3 x 20

Another day was arms with consisted of
    Seated bicep curl and lying tricep extension - 10x10
    Standing EZ Bar curl and Seated overhead tricep press - 3 x 12

3rd day was upper body which consisted of
    Incline dumbbell press and lat pulldown - 10x10
    reverse flys and seated row - 3 x 12

I ran on another day. Rested two separate days and started the process again.

Thank you. I appreciate the input.
  • Steve_Paul
    Options
    IIRC GVT for me was a 4 day split (chest tri, back bi, legs, shoulders abs) everything was 10 x 10 with exeption of calf raises & plate pushes.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options
    Steve_Paul wrote: »
    IIRC GVT for me was a 4 day split (chest tri, back bi, legs, shoulders abs) everything was 10 x 10 with exeption of calf raises & plate pushes.

Everything bar the ones you mentioned were 10 x 10. Crikey @Steve_Paul you must have had DOMS galore especially in the legs.
  • Steve_Paul
    Options
    GVT is no fun without DOMS though right @jdscrubs32 ? First few days are terrible but then you adapt.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options
    Steve_Paul wrote: »
    GVT is no fun without DOMS though right @jdscrubs32 ? First few days are terrible but then you adapt.

Haha that's true @Steve_Paul . I remember the first time I did the leg part of GVT, I was walking oddly for days.