winter running

Options
Any advice running on the winter I get cramps in my lungs during the winter I have tried a mask but it bade the jog uncomfortable are there other options?
Also any other advice on jogging in the winter
Thanks

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I posted a thread a few weeks ago about winter running that may help.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10254291/outdoor-runners-what-do-you-do-when-it-snows
  • amackg
    amackg Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks I looked at it but I am looking for we get kind of mask to warm the air is comfortable
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Try different masks until you find one that's comfortable enough to endure (I think I went through 3 before finding one I liked well enough to leave on) or you could wrap up in a scarf if that's more comfortable.

Breathe in through your nose, not your mouth. It helps filter and warm the air a bit more before getting to your lungs, or so I've been told.

Maybe talk to your doctor about the condition of your lungs. I found out a couple years ago that I have exercise-induced asthma, and the doc noted that that's why breathing cold air hurt so much. I now use an inhaler before my runs, which helps a lot.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Maybe talk to your doctor about the condition of your lungs. I found out a couple years ago that I have exercise-induced asthma, and the doc noted that that's why breathing cold air hurt so much. I now use an inhaler before my runs, which helps a lot.

That's what I was going to suggest. The cold makes my nose run a bit but I don't have any issue breathing in the cold air. I do find that I can get a bit of a dry throat some days but that's only an issue after running. Running in the cold air feels great to me and I never wear a mask.

If you're having issues during the run then perhaps you need something like an inhaler to help you out when it's cold.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I've just started running, and love being outside, but just running itself makes my nose run! I'm terrified of winter. I might give it a go down to a certain temperature, but at a certain point? I think I'll take it to the indoor track at the gym. I can only handle the nose drip so much.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    What about the mask made the jog uncomfortable? Perhaps a scarf wrapped abound and over your mouth and nose would be better?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I've just started running, and love being outside, but just running itself makes my nose run! I'm terrified of winter. I might give it a go down to a certain temperature, but at a certain point? I think I'll take it to the indoor track at the gym. I can only handle the nose drip so much.

i'm just a huge snotty mess coming back to the house. snot and sweat and bright red face.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You should see my sleeves after a run. I'm disgusting. Even in summer.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Gross sleeves twinsies!

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @PeachyCarol Interesting... I seem to recall the runny nose thing when I started running again last fall but it isn't an issue now. Maybe there is an adaptation that happens over time?

The Snot Rocket Maneuver (tm) is an important runner's skill that requires just a little practice to perfect. At least we can expunge most of the, uh, material before wiping our nose on our sleeves. I choose running tops for maximum, uh, material, camouflage. Dark navy is the worst. Light yellow/greens seem pretty good.

Myself I'll run outside unless there is ice on the ground or snow I sink into. Neither happens often here.

I find it difficult to transition to indoor running because a) it's boring and b) I'm not allowed to spit or perform the Snot Rocket Maneuver (tm). That's very frustrating!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I'm pretty certain that, in winter, my nose runs faster than I do!

OP I'd second that advise to speak to your doctor. I don't know where you live but it'll get down below -40C occasionally in the winter and I wear a balaclava on those days to avoid frostbite as they don't really change the temperature of the air you're breathing.

ybq23irdhr65.jpg

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    @PeachyCarol Interesting... I seem to recall the runny nose thing when I started running again last fall but it isn't an issue now. Maybe there is an adaptation that happens over time?

The Snot Rocket Maneuver (tm) is an important runner's skill that requires just a little practice to perfect. At least we can expunge most of the, uh, material before wiping our nose on our sleeves. I choose running tops for maximum, uh, material, camouflage. Dark navy is the worst. Light yellow/greens seem pretty good.

Myself I'll run outside unless there is ice on the ground or snow I sink into. Neither happens often here.

I find it difficult to transition to indoor running because a) it's boring and b) I'm not allowed to spit or perform the Snot Rocket Maneuver (tm). That's very frustrating!

I call it the farmer's blow but snot rocket sounds more futuristic. My sleeves are perfectly clean at all times. LOL
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I call it the farmer's blow but snot rocket sounds more futuristic. My sleeves are perfectly clean at all times. LOL

Snot Rocket should be added to Webster's any day now.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Good to know. I just got a couple of long-sleeved green running tops :wink:

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I actually had to deal with SRM(tm) this morning. Some of the uhh... "material" shall we say did not exit fully. I had to use my hand and temporaily stopped and rubbed my hand on the grass. I looked around to make sure no one was watching. I guess I spilled my own beans now. Ooops.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Snot Rocket should be added to Webster's any day now.

It's already in Urban Dictionary and Wiktionary. Thank God for the Internet to keep us up in the times.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snot+rocket
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/snot_rocket
  • Stoshew71
    Options

I'm pretty certain that, in winter, my nose runs faster than I do!

I like this. I have to remember to use this line.

• GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I get exercise induced asthma when it gets really cold here, well when I run. I am returning to running (since June) after 2 years so will be seeing a doctor to get an inhaler before it gets too cold.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed with it as well but haven't had much of an issue with it thus far
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I don't run in the winter since our roads and sidewalks become sheets of ice and I'm not really keen on cracking my head open. But I have been skiing since I was a little kid, so I'm pretty well versed on how to handle winter exercise and the runny nose issue. Especially with skiing, since the going up and down and changes in altitude will take a toll on the nose as well.

My favourite trick is to use a neckwarmer like a turtle fur, and pull it up over my mouth and nose when the cold and wind get really bad. You can still breathe through it, and sure, it'll get a little bit gross by the end of your workout but you just throw it in the wash and it's all good.