Coffee alternative

Options
I want to save some calories from coffee and I don't like black coffee. Nor do I want to drink soda. Are there any alternatives for caffeine like a caffeine pill or something?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking coffee to stay awake, try drinking cold water instead.

I've discovered that a tall glass of cold water with lunch provides as much of an energy boost as a cup of coffee. After all, one of the reasons for feeling sluggish and headachy is dehydration, and that tall glass of cold water solves that problem.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    How do you typically like your coffee?

I drink iced coffee frequently. I buy the flavored grounds, add some sweetener, and a few tbsp of almond milk. Calories from that combination are minimal. Seriously, I can get a large caramel from say Mcdonalds for 260 calories or make my own at home for at most 80 calories (depending on how much almond milk I use).

edit: Actually my typical Iced Caramel Coffee is maybe 30 calories (if you count the sweetener added, if you don't it's 10 from the milk) for 32 ounces.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am being weird but could you try getting more sleep?

I don't drink much coffee and never drunk it with the purpose of keeping me awake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »
    I want to save some calories from coffee and I don't like black coffee. Nor do I want to drink soda. Are there any alternatives for caffeine like a caffeine pill or something?

I've found I can skip milk and sugar in coffee if I put whey protein powder in it instead, so if that's something you already have on hand, give it a try.

I need less sugar for black tea, and even less for green tea.

• RMCottonRPh
    RMCottonRPh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Milk and sugar don't add many calories. At all.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Milk and sugar don't add many calories. At all.

I think the problem is when you have 4-8 coffees over a day it starts to add up.
  • aspdenbrae
    aspdenbrae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ydyms wrote: »

I've found I can skip milk and sugar in coffee if I put whey protein powder in it instead, so if that's something you already have on hand, give it a try.

I need less sugar for black tea, and even less for green tea.

What flavor of Whey?
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    The thought of no coffee sends shivers up my spine! :neutral:

I use skimmed milk in my coffee and allow myself around 60-90 calories for my coffee intake! I'm probably over-estimating because I like my coffee very strong but I'd rather over estimate than under and in my opinion, 60-90 calories for my caffeine isn't a bad sacrifice! ;)
  • mandarkio
    mandarkio Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use skimmed milk and sweetener in my morning coffee, and it's only about 30cal. I drink it because i like the taste, but if you're only drinking it for the energy boost, tea is less calorific and has more caffeine. Or you could try more sleep :)
  • Buckeye_Dave
    Buckeye_Dave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    No coffee?? I can't imagine!

I get good coffee and drink it black. Definitely an adjustment but well worth it to me.
  • veephil31
    veephil31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    They make coffee syrup. If you get the sugar free, it is 0 calories and adds a great flavor. Or you can buy flavored coffee beans. Powdered creamer is a lot less calories then the kind you keep in the fridge.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    A large coffee with 1/3 to 1/2 cup of whole milk is about 90 calories, thats pretty doable or should be fo rmost calorie restricted diets...
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Black tea.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    veephil31 wrote: »
    They make coffee syrup. If you get the sugar free, it is 0 calories and adds a great flavor. Or you can buy flavored coffee beans. Powdered creamer is a lot less calories then the kind you keep in the fridge.

Just started using this type of syrup. Sugar free salted caramel. Soo good! Helped me cut out milk/half&half.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Zipfizz, the healthy energy drink. I buy it from Sam's Club or Costco. The best energy drink ever invented!!! Neurosonic comes in second place.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Alternative to coffee? Oh, the horror, the horror!

Invest in better quality coffee beans. You'll learn to drink it black, or with a tiny splash of milk, quickly enough.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I like to buy the flavored beans. French vanilla, hazelnut, and pumpkin spice are my favorites. After brewing, I like to add a little stevia and a tablespoon of coconut milk creamer. 10 calories per tbsp, so it's not too bad.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    "Alternatives" to coffee??? blasphemy!

So no, I have no answer to your question. I'd never in my wildest dreams give up my morning coffee. With sweetener -- Pumpkin Pie at the moment, with Peppermint Mocha waiting in the back of my refrigerator (my grocery has skipped a season, lol).
  • kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I never thought, after 20- some years of drinking coffee with cream, that I could adjust to black. But I kept at it, and now it's my preference. I would worry about caffeine pills. I like Japanese green tea with toasted brown rice, too.