Is this normal?

Options
So last week I lost .5 lbs and this week I've lost 4.4 lbs, which seems like a lot to me. It is 'that time of the month' so maybe last week I was just bloated and retaining water? I've been weighing my food for the most part except for when we get take out then I mostly guess as best as I can. I just don't want to be losing too fast and have it be unsustainable. Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Replies

• ardentsunshine
    ardentsunshine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    On any given day, your weight can fluctuate up to 10 lbs. During your period, you'll retain a lot more water, and it will seem like you lost very little weight, but that comes right back off once your period is over. I don't weigh myself when it's near my period because the numbers on the scale will be incorrect.

If you're doing the same thing you've been doing for weight loss, then you won't have any issues with unsustainability.
  • althea5883
    althea5883 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! :)
  • scottwilson16
    scottwilson16 Posts: 71 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    What you could do for that week of your cycle is note down this weight and compare it against the previous months weight, at the same point. So while you may be, as an example, 5kg heavier than the week before, it is still a lower weight than you were the previous month at the same point where you were also 5kg heavier. Taking a weekly average weight for women can work well also for gauging progress rather than picking a specific day for recording it. Weight loss is never linear.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    WHOOSHKA!

I often get wooshes after my period too.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    What a nice whoosh! :D

I'd definitely record your results for the next couple of weeks and double check how rapidly you are losing. If you are still experiencing big whooshes, up your calories by 50 or so a day and re-assess! :)
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just started using an app called Happy Scale that kinda smooths out those daily variables in weight. I'm enjoying it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep, very normal.